How do you check level on your BF?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ray

How do you check level on your BF?

Post by Ray »

I was wondering how ever one checks level on there BF's when parking. I can ussualy get mine close enough to level by just repositioning the vehicle a few feet forwrd or a few to the side and not use blocks at most places that are a little uneven.

However, I have tried several ways to accomplish this - Like getting out and eye balling it - which works well but you have to keep getting in and out. stick on levels - but had them towards the back and had to get out of the drivers seat anyhow, I am thinking about putting a couple on the dash somewhere but where? and I wonder if that is really the best way also.

I have looked (internet) at the rv easy level that you put anywhere you want - sounds like the level indication consists of a red/flashingred/green light system - not sure how well that would work because I know green is level and flashing red is pretty close to level but red gives you no indication if you are a few degrees out of level or sitting at a 45 degree angle - ok, I would know if I was at a 45 degree angle but my point is I dont know how good this would work with in a "good enogh" situation.

I guess what would be perfect is a level I could put under my bed which would send a signal to a readout on the dash and say how many degrees you are off level right to left and front to back

Just wondering what ever one else does - I am sure there are some great ideas out there that people have come up with.

Thanks
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I just use a small, round refrigerator level. If the fridge is reasonably level [the bubble is at least half in the circle] it's good enough.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Here's a little tip that may help some. As it turns out the bottom of our driver's side cup holder is on the same plane as the BF's floor. So with my little radial bubble level in the cup holder it is very easy to check level while using leveling blocks or moving too and fro looking for that sweet spot.

If your cup holder is not on the same plane, you can recalibrate your bubble level. The first time you use your bubble level set it on the floor or counter top and level the RV. Then, from the driver's seat, find a level spot conveniently visible. If you can't find a convenient level spot to use, put your bubble level in a convenient location that is fairly close to level and using a Sharpie marker draw an arrow towards the front of the RV and a dot in the center of the bubble. This will enable you to easily position the level each time you park. For those with the tools, cut a wooden wedge to put under the bubble level that will correct the pitch of the level in the location you choose and mark it with an arrow for proper orientation.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have never been able to just reposition my BF to be level. I always use my LynxLevelers. I used to use wood but it was a PIA compared to the blocks. And I have tried to just deal with being a little off and it sucks. I need to be level.

I have a small level I got from harbor freight for $1 that when I parked I would put on the floor by the entrance. I would check front to rear and left to right and determine how many blocks I need. Sometimes I need to back down and add another block but after 10 trips this season I am getting much better. I have 2 stick on levels that I now use (but I still carry the HF level). One on the Street side and the other in the rear. I like the idea of putting a stickon level on the dashboard, but I still have to get in and out so being on the outside doesn't bother me.

One time I couldn't find my HF level so I grabbed one of my sons toy trucks to level. If it rolled, I wasn't level :P
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I downloaded a free iPhone Leveling App. My phone is usually nearby when parking so I can easily check for the levelest point while pulling into a campsite. Some apps have the circular type of level that Mockturtle mentions and others are straight levels. A few digitally show the degrees of tilt and others may have an inclinometer option. As long as the phone rests on a flat surface, the simple Leveling App I use seems fairly accurate.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK
TheBizMan

Post by TheBizMan »

I use the Refer door. My wife opens it to straight out and if it stays we are level enough. Been doing that for three years with no problem. If it doesn't stay, I move the BF a little and try again. At worst I use those yellow plastic blocks.
Lee-TheBizMan
2005 BFT - named "Tilly"
2012 Scion xD "Toad"

shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

I decided I wanted to be able to level. I bought a couple of one-dimensional bubble levels - one to mount on the front dash, one on the driver-side door. Hmm, how to mount them?

I have a carpenter's level. Could that help? Hmm, maybe if I use it to help level front-to-back and side-to-side, I could then mount the two levels on the dash and the door. Yeah!

Next, where to use the carpenter's level. I decided on an average of the floor near the fridge, the galley counter and the counter over the pantry on our 24RB, both front-to-back and side-to-side. Once I got that level using our Lynx levelers, I mounted the two levels on the dash and the driver-side door. I figured that was close enough. So far, so good. The fridge works, the eggs don't slide off to the side of the pan, etc.
Last edited by shilohdad on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Sam,

Here is how the previous owner placed the levels.

Place a bubble level on the freezer floor and move the vehicle around
until it is level.

Then place the other levels where you want them and level them.

All levels then agree that the fridge is level.

I'll add that I have placed two sets of levels in my BF. One set inside the cab and one set on the outside. rear. Even though I followed the process outlined above and initially had all in agreement I've found that they often do no agree. I think there can be a slight diagonal or horizontal pitch that causes two different readings.

I initially had one set of levels and then fell for the "if one is good, two are better" fallacy. I think I'll remove the outside set so I will not know there is a disagreement. The cab levels are visible as I park and their reading is close enough to the bubble level for me.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Ray

Post by Ray »

Yep, As they say - A man with two watches never knows what time it is.
randallrae

Level

Post by randallrae »

You are correct Ray, The refrigerator owners manual says to level the center of the freezer floor. I then stuck one front to back level on the passenger seat base that I could see from the drivers seat. I then stuck a side to side level above the drivers side sun visor ,soooo I can try and get it level without blocking while in the drivers seat. If I need blocking it helps to see if I have blocked the unit correctly WITHOUT having to get out to look at levels.
2012 25' rb
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

The bubble level I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161093853744?lpid=82

The diagonal levels are from Walmart. Black or white plastic with large bright yellow liquid. I don't find them at Walmart online. Probably because they are so cheap.

One just above the top power outlet (cigarette lighter) plug and one on the forward portion of the passenger door where the mirror connects.

If you want to spend a bunch of money, have to learn how to use it, and be ready for it to go on the fritz just when you need it you can purchase:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-Wireless ... escription
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Dallas Baillio wrote:The bubble level I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161093853744?lpid=82
<....>
If you want to spend a bunch of money, have to learn how to use it, and be ready for it to go on the fritz just when you need it you can purchase:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-Wireless ... escription
ROTFLMAO! You've illustrated the point perfectly Dallas. What could be more intuitive and easier to use than the humble little bullseye bubble level? Just goes to prove the old adage - A fool and his money are soon parted. I suppose the CIPA-Wireless-RV-Leveler might be useful in trying to level a trailer from the tow vehicle.

OBTW, the BF does flex considerably. Even on a flat pad my counter-tops, refrigerator, floor and cab are on slightly different planes; and, these planes will warp and twist slightly with airbag settings, loads, leveling blocks under corners and uneven terrain. So getting the bubble exactly inside the inner circle is an effort in futility. And, it should be noted, that if you are quite comfortable (i.e.,walking, eating, showering etc.) then the refrigerator is well within its tolerances.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Ray

Post by Ray »

Hey Dallas

I looked at that electronic gizmo - I dont think that is the way to go either. As I read it the thing only tells you if its out of level not how much or which direction - I can imagine some frustrating times trying to raise the vehicle only to find out I needed to lower it, I guess its a 50/50 shot of going the right direction the first time.

Everyone has some great suggestions of where to locate the levels - several I never thought of - I am going to tape them up temp and try the different locations and see which will be esier for me to see and mount.

I did buy a couple of those levels that you take the number from one and subtract it from the other (or maybe add) and it tells you somehow how much needs to go under each wheel - although I think I better keep the instructions handy for that part.

I also like the idea of the bubble level (round disk) - I have never tried one of these and dont know which would be easier.

I sure appreciate all the great ideas everyone shares
Ray

Post by Ray »

Mike

I aggree

And I am going to find the type of level I like and location and not have multiple levels.

May be strange but the important part for me is that the bed is level - I cant stand to try to sleep with my head lower than my feed not even a little - so I hope the refrigerator is on the same plane as the bed or I am going to have to pull it out and shim it - as far as the floor/counter/etc - if I drop something I dont mind chasing it accross the floor - I could use the excercise anyhow - LOL
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I feel so technologically inferior. What does ROTFLMAO translate as?
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”