Running the Ford radio off the coach batteries.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BobM

Running the Ford radio off the coach batteries.

Post by BobM »

Has anyone wired their Ford radio to run off the coach batteries?
The Ford E450 comes with an AM/FM stereo radio w/ cassette and cd. It seems foolish to carry a seperate radio for camping when such a fine radio is installed.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

It can be done, but I do not know how. We had a Winnebago that had a button that could be used to start the engine using the coach batteries if the engine batteries were dead. Keep asking, because you have a valid question.
illl
Mel Wilbur

Ford radio on coach batteries

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Bob, I wired ours using an on/on toggle switch so I could use either the chassis or coach batteries. I know others have made this modification, and as far as I know, without any problems.
Mel & Connie
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I know this is a little off-topic...but both my Ford chassis and coach radios in my 2004 BFT have terribly weak reception. Anyone have any suggestions as to why the poor reception and how I might improve it?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Brent

Post by Brent »

Mel
How did you wire it?
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Bill,

My BFT had an antenna splitter installed. One lead for the chassis radio and one lead for a radio in the overhead entertainment center. I had very weak reception on AM radio. FM was ok. Since I didn't get a radio for the entertainment center, I removed the splitter and plugged the antenna lead directly into the chassis radio. It now recieves like it should. I suspect an antenna splitter may be your problem.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Virgil and Anne Dutton wrote:I suspect an antenna splitter may be your problem.
Virgil:

Thanks. I'll check for a splitter.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”