Rear bump Round Head bolt missing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

oliverpsmile

Rear bump Round Head bolt missing

Post by oliverpsmile »

It is not a carriage bolt.

Any suggestions for a replacement?
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Ray

Post by Ray »

I think they may actually be bumper bolts which are a little different than carriage bolts - I couldn't find any around where I live - Try calling Kim at BF, I bet he still has some in stock.
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

Hi Oliver,

I'd try Kim first, but another place I have used is JEGS.com. Free shipping and handling and for us, no sales tax.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- ... Id=2895853

As far as a local place who has a large variety of fasteners: Copper State nut and bolt. They have quite a number of places locally.

I will call you or stop by in a couple days.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Per the jegs listing and picture the bolts are chrome plated carriage bolts available in different lengths.
Attachments
Jegs .jpg
Jegs .jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 7297 times
Mel & Connie
Dude

Post by Dude »

I would suggest stopping at an autobody shop. They could probably tell you want it is and they probably have a few in the shop as well.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Ray

Post by Ray »

Would like to mention that the ones in my bumper are stainless steel - I think that was original, but cant be sure.

When you remove them they are almost guaranteed to strip out the fiberglass on the way out, and you may have trouble getting them out. Kim gave me a heads up on this so I was prepared. Before I put them back in I milled slots in the heads of each one just in case I ever have to pull the bumper off again.
Virgil and Anne Dutton

I looked at the bolts that hold the rear fiberglass bumper on my BFT and they are a standard carriage bolt in stainless steel, probably an 18-8 series or maybe a 316 series. The bolt is a carriage (round head, square neck) with a 1/2 - 13 UNC thread x 1 1/2 inches long. It is a quite common bolt and should be available at any bolt and nut supplier and maybe even at a good hardware store. I looked it up at the McMaster-Carr web site, where I buy a lot of hardware, and the price for the 18-8 series is 5 for $6.66 and the 316 series is $3.13 each.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
stevek

Post by stevek »

Lowes has a good collection of SS nuts/ bolts/ misc, that I have bought in the past.
Not sure about your size, but I would check there first.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Ray

Post by Ray »

Virgil, Thats not a bad price, I always forget about checking places like McMaster-Carr and Grainger.

Thanks, Ray
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Ray,

I order from McMaster-Carr quite often. In fact I had an order I needed to send in today, so I just added these bolts to that order. I should have them by Thursday and since Oliver is staying only about 5 miles from me, I will drop one off to him. What better excuse to visit!

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”