Weighing coach

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Weighing coach

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I just had some maintenance completed on my BF. The RV company where I store it indoors was also offering a free 4 corner weigh in. I have never had this done before & need to know if I need to make changes in how I store things or ???? My drivers side front is 2060, passenger side front is 1870, drivers side rear is 4780, passengers side rear is 4550. So front is 3930 & rear is 9330 for a total of 13260 #..... this is with maybe a half tank of water & 3/4 tank of fuel (& I do have a generator). I travel solo with a small dog & would only be adding some food stuffs & clothes as everything else is already loaded in it.
So what does this mean...? All opinions & advice appreciated.... 8)
Oh yes.... I also carry a portable power system that I store behind the passenger front seat. Don't know what it weighs but it is a big one & very heavy (for me, anyway)......
whemme

Post by whemme »

Charlotte,

You did not say but I assume your Born Free is a 26' RSB coach like mine. Really does not matter because all 24' and 26' coaches were factory equipped with LT225/75R16E tires and the inflation graph in the attached window below will provide you with the optimum inflation pressures for each tire on your coach.

This proper inflation issue is discussed in the Technical Library section of this forum in a post of mine titled TIRE INFLATION PRESSURES FOR 24' & 26' BORN FREE COACHES and I copied my graph repeated below from that post.

Using the graph, here are the proper inflation pressures for each of your tires based on the 4 corner weights that you listed.

The left front tire is supporting 2060 lbs therefore the proper pressure for that tire is 55 psi. The right front tire is supporting 1870 lbs therefore the proper pressure for that tires is 48 psi. The weight on the left side rear duals is 4780 lbs or 2390 lbs for each tire and per the graph, the proper pressure for each of the rear tires on the left side would be 77 psi. The weight on the right side duals is 4550 lbs or 2275 lbs for each tire and per the graph, the proper pressure for each of the rear tires on the right side would be 72 psi.

These pressures are for when the tires are at cold ambient temperatures, not right after you have driven the coach for several miles. Any tire pressures above what the graph shows is unnecessary and only causes a harder ride.

The four corner weighing of my 2002 26' RSB coach had similar weights to yours with the result that I run 55 psi in the left front, 50 psi in the right front and 75 psi in my rear duals.
Attachments
Born Free Tire Inflation Graph.pdf
Click on the blue Download but on the right side of this window to view and print out the tire inflation graph.
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Hi Bill...haven't talked to you in a while...hope all is well with you & yours & want to thank you again for the past problem you personally helped me with. So, yes, you are right... I have a '99 26' RSB model. Have done some what I call major upgrades this past year which I am really happy with, including new Michelin tires. My question is 2 fold....the tire inflation graph you provided is for how much air to put in the tires (I always have my RV place do that before I leave on a trip...) Looking at the graph I'm thinking I need 55# in the front tires but cannot figure out the rear dual tires. I guess I just don't understand. Furthermore, I wasn't so concerned with the tires (kinda one of those why weren't you? :roll: moments) but more concerned with whether I was overweight overall & needing to reduce what I take with me or remove stuff all together in order to be safe going down the road....so being somewhat technically challenged, could you explain a little more on proper tire pressure for front & back.... and is my weight distribution okay (assuming I have the correct tire pressure)..... :oops: Feeling kind of stupid right now, considering I've been driving this coach for almost 9 yrs.... and should have known all this....
whemme

Post by whemme »

For the front tires of the coach use the green line in the graph. For your left front with a weight of 2060 lbs, that happens to fall right on the 2060 point on the green graph where it crosses the 55 lb line at the bottom of the graph so 55 lbs is the proper pressure for your left front tire. For your right front with a weight of 1870 lbs, that weight falls in between the 1790 and 1940 lb points on the green graph so if you extrapolate between those two points you will arrive at 48 psi at the bottom of the graph.

For the rear duals, each tire in each corner handles 1/2 the weight. Therefore the left corner weight of 4780 lbs means each of the tires in that corner is supporting 2390 lbs. For duals, you need to use the blue and black lines in the graph. 2390 lbs falls in between the 2355 lb and 2470 lb points on the black graph so if you extrapolate between those two points you will arrive at 77 psi at the bottom of the graph. The right corner weight is 4550 lbs so each tire is supporting 2275 lbs in that corner. If you extrapolate between the 2245 and 2355 points on the black graph you will arrive at 72 psi at the bottom of the graph.

By the way, this graph is valid for all brands of LT225/75R16E tires. The DOT requires that all manufactures of a given designation tire type meet the same specifications. Also, it is normal for a Born Free 24' or 26' E350 or E450 based coach to be heaver on the left side. That is due to the weight of the generator and full clear water and black water tanks being located on that side of the coach. The gray water and fuel tanks are located near the middle of the coach.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Everything I have read over the last 7 years has said to be sure the tire pressure is the same on both sides of the axle. When you weigh and one side is a little lighter, you should have the pressure in that tire(s) the same as the tire pressure on the heavier side.

Charlotte, about your unbalanced weight. I wouldn't be concerned about being around 200 pounds lighter on the passenger side for the front and rear axle. (Total of 400 pounds for the entire coach.) If any of the corners were 600-1000 pounds different then I would be concerned.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Thank you for responses.... will put this info in coach so I won't be 'at risk' next time I'm RVing.... with this weather however, that might be a while. No rain here & we're in a serious drought situation, but the cold & winds are just not my thing so will wait for clearer weather (while praying for rain)...
whemme

Post by whemme »

Al,

I have read that also. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out why that would be necessary on the front axle tires. Having different pressures in the front tires may cause a small difference in rolling circumference causing one tire to rotate slightly at a different speed then the other tire but who cares. I can maybe understand the recommendation for the rear axle tires since a tire rotation speed difference would cause the differential gears to work some even driving down a straight road. That is why I run my rear duals both sides at 75 psi whereas I run 55 psi on the front left and 50 psi on the front right tires on my coach.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

I always thought the left side weight was higher cause I was in the drivers seat :D Newyears resolution to lose weight so I get better gas milage :?
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

The Inflation of the tires per the chart, to a pressure based on the load, will result in the same deflection of each tire under load. This loaded deflection would be the optimal deflection for that size and structure of tire. When the rolling deflection is equal, the rotational speed is equal. Therefore, each of the four corners should have their own inflation pressure based on the load at that corner. However, in Charlotte’s case, the difference in load deflection of 190 pounds front, on single tires, and 230 pounds rear, spread over dual tires, seems pretty minimal. Another factor in this particular case is that the curb side has the lightest load, so, as the vehicle travels down the crowned highway, and the vehicle is tilted slightly to the right, the CG (center of gravity) will move slightly in that direction, thus loading that side more and decreasing the side to side load differential .
Anyway, how closely you follow the chart is a personal choice. I definitely follow the chart but inflate tires equally on the front and equally on the rear. I use the higher pressure called for on each axle and I usually bump that up to the next even 5. Easier to remember. I would rather the tires be over inflated than underinflated.
Just my thoughts,
Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
Ray

Post by Ray »

Virgil

Thanks - But reading that hurt my head - :D I will get it by the end of the week - LOL
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

Here is a link
http://www.rvtiresafety.com/2012/12/dan ... anger.html
from a tire expert with an overly detailed discussion of balance and a little about tire pressure. He strongly recommends the same tire pressure on all tires on an axle, both right and left tires.

Charlotte, your BF is balanced within 1% on the front and at a fraction of 1% at the rear. That is an excellent balance.

The tire expert also recommends keeping your tire pressure at 5% to 10% over the amount the load charts require as an extra measure of caution.

Don't forget to check your tire pressure at before the BF is driven more than a couple of miles and without any of the tires being in the sunshine.

If you absolutely must drive your BF several miles to get the tire pressure checked then try to account for having some extra pressure in the tires to account for the warmer tire temperature.

Remember your life may depend on keeping proper tire pressure. We are driving a 12,000 to 14,500 pound vehicle with a high center of gravity, not a 3000 to 6000 pound car.
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

One reason I can think of to keep the tire pressure the same on all tires on an axle is the tire traction will be different on tires with different pressure. Two to three pounds different won't matter, but 10 pounds or more will matter.
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Charlotte,
If I were you, and you should be most grateful I am not you, I would see if there was any heavy item on left side of coach which could ride in the presumably empty right front seat or even better on the floor. We are all too light on front end anyway. You will be fine with advice you have received anyway IMO.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Ray

Post by Ray »

One thing to remember is if you move 100 lbs from one side to the other thats a 200 lb total change when you are trying to level out the weight - you take 100 from one side and add 100 to the other side.

So make sure you subtract the low side from the high side and then divide by 2 to figure out what to move

Make sense?

Ray
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Wow! Thanks to all for a worthwhile education... Almost like the 'old' days when this group was so very active posting & helping others. I've been a member & owner for a long time now, so remember those days. Anyway, just wanted to thank all that gave me such great advice... I will follow it for sure. As I have the overhead entertainment center (which now has a new flat screen TV instead of the old, heavy one that came with it), I have only light storage in it... i.e., pillows, blankets, sheets, etc. I try to keep a balance in how I store stuff but do carry a spare under the sofa along with some tools & a small compact vacuum. The other heavier things I store in the storage bin under the rear side bed, to sort of balance stuff out. So I am glad to hear that though not perfect, my weight distribution is pretty good. Perhaps I'll move a few things to the front passenger side storage to make up for my own weight when driving.... course sitting in the passenger seat would even it out real well.... :wink: but then it would be hard to drive from there..... :D Thanks again for all the replies ... and all of you being hit with this horrible winter weather stay safe & warm. Every time I see what's happening in the Chicago area I wonder how could I have been so smart when I was so young to move to wonderful California.... 8)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”