NO WAY TO KEEP THEM OUT...

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Cathy

NO WAY TO KEEP THEM OUT...

Post by Cathy »

Well it's that time of year again...open up the BF and start cleaning and finding mice have been there..caught 2. I have used EVERYTHING that I've read about: Bounce, Mouse Magic, The nice white box mouse traps (caught 2) Cab Fresh, moth balls, etc.. I've come to the conclusion nothing works. There's a guy that did some body work on it that may be able to spray the foam underneath.
Hopefully that will do the trick, but I'm not optimistic.
Now to go clean under the cabinets in the kitchen and bath sink, I did catch one on the kitchen sink, so hopefully he's the only one who got out.
The cabinets have tp and anything paper shredded.
Any idea's for repellent other than a black snake or hungry cat??!!!!
Sad in St. Louis.... :cry:
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I've found d-Con very effective.
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

When the mice got into my Tracker I put it into the barn with the engine running and closed the doors and let the engine idle for 40 minutes. It killed the mice but the odor remained for some time and took several deodorizing things to get the car smelling good again.
When I put the born Free away for a spell ion the fall I spray deer and squirrel repellent around all the foot prints. It seems to work on the concrete pad, but doesn't always work on the pickup which has to be parked out in the open under the oak trees. The squirrels chewed wires twice while in that location and I finally resorted to putting a bag of moth balls in the engine compartment.
Tom and Jennifer Pierpan

No Way to Keep them out

Post by Tom and Jennifer Pierpan »

We have used No Cab repellent with great success. We buy it at a local farm supply store. This is a natural product and here is website
http://www.earth-kind.com/products/repe ... cab-12-pk/
This product has been used for years in our barn where we store 2 vehicles and in the house as well. Our RV has never had a mice problem and neither has my convertible, which is far more vulnerable in my opinion.
Jennifer
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Don't know if this would work in your situation, but we live in the woods by Lake Michigan and have a mouse problem in the attached garage and house. We had bait traps installed around the perimeter of the house. The mice go in, eat the bait and try to find water, then die. The dead mice are not toxic to animals, our dogs would eat them, and we never see dead ones. But, no more mice in the two years we have used this system. It costs about $150 or so a year, in connection with our general exterior maintenance for spiders. We don't like the whole concept but it beats chasing down the critters and trapping them.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thanks for the replies, I've tried the Fresh Cab and my mice must like it, moth balls are in the engine and I hope that works, but they ignored it under the cabinets.
My next step is the D-Con, I do have 3 dog's and worry about putting poison outside...but something has to be done.

Thanks!
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Cathy, I would put the D-Con right in your rig where your dogs can't get at it.
I put a box in a storage compartment.
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

My question is; how do they get inside in the first place? I had them once, before I mouse-proofed my storage building. I looked all over the motor home and could not find a place where they could enter. The only entry I could think of is the heater inlet?? Can they get in through there if the fresh air doors are open? I don’t know, but now I try to remember to always shut the heater/air conditioning control to “off” before I turn the engine off.
One thought I have about poison is; where do they go to die? When I had them in my motor home I caught one with a mouse trap and then I left the trap set in case there were more mice to be caught. I didn’t catch any more so thought I had them all. However, shortly thereafter a very putrid odor came on. After extensive searching I found a mouse nest with two dead baby mice in it. It took a couple months for the odor to disappear so I don’t want to go through that again. But, if I can’t keep them out I think I prefer traps, either lethal or live ones. Then I can remove them before they become rotten and stink up the place.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

Mice need only about 1/2" space to squeeze through. I've never had a mouse die inside an RV. They will eat the poison then go out and search for water. One time when away for the winter, there was one in our house that got trapped in the bathtub but they will usually exit the same way they got in. I prefer to trap them if I'm able to check the traps daily. Trapping is more satisfying and probably less cruel. But D-Con is better when the coach is in storage.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I'll try that under the kitchen sink/stove area, that's where they had to get in ..also under the bath sink. So I think there's a space open on that side that I'll have to use the foam spray and close it up.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Cathy, Steel(stainless) wool stuffed into those small openings around the coach is a good alternative to filling them with foam spray. It is can also be removed in future if you don't need or want it.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”