Batteries

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CHARLOTTE

Batteries

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Okay...another problem...Generator not starting up as discussed on previous post about connecting to home power...Anyhow, called my Service Tech & told him generator not starting, etc. and asked why since I just had the coach totally gone over. Anyway, he said bring her in which I did. They checked the house (2 batteries that run the coach in the slide out drawer)...and found that they were very low in charge. I have no idea how old those batteries are as they're the same ones that were in there when I bought the Coach couple of years ago. So I told them to put new ones in as I didn't want to deal with a problem while on the way to Iowa. Anyhow, they were 12 Volt batteries. My Tech advised me to get 2 6 Volt batteries instead saying they were better than the 12 Volts. I said go ahead then if that's the best thing to do. He said these are the kind that they use in golf carts, etc. I watched while they installed & connected them to see how it's done. They connected the back battery at the positive pole to the front battery negative and then the opposite way with the second cable. Locked everything back in place, strapped down etc. Tried the generator from inside the coach & it started immediately... These batteries need water & he showed me how etc. to check & fill when necessary. What I want to know is.....did I do the right thing by having 2 6 Volt batteries installed instead of 2 12 Volt batteries that were originally in there....Thanks for any comments.....
Brent

Post by Brent »

Charlotte, I absolutely feel you did the right thing. I did this about three years ago (the brand I used was Trojan). The batteries will take many deeper discharges then the 12 volt. They are real work horses.

I suggest you check with Camping World. They have a kit that installs on these batteries, that makes adding water a snap. Otherwise adding and checking the water levels are a pain. The cost is about $60., but in my opinion well worth it as it keeps the batteries well maintained and improves their life, rather the allowing them to boil dry.

Good luck on your trip to Iowa.
Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Brent.....Thank you so much for your reply. My Tech told me they were work horse type batteries & as they are the only ones I have work on my BF...I had to trust him....but it just didn't make sense to me. As far as filling them...yes, I'll check into Camping World...However, the RV Repair shop I use is maybe 4-5 miles from my home...He told me...you just bring her in and we'll check & fill those batteries at no charge...told me not to worry about them while on my long voyage east and just enjoy myself. Sometimes it's almost nice to be a senior citizen... (It also helps to have a reputable RV shop close by with an Owner that knows me from way before I bought my BF). They sure like that BF down there....always tell me how great a coach it is and how well built, etc., etc., etc. :D
Anyhow, thanks for clearing my mind for me...

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”