IMPORTANT - Michelin Tire Safety Recall

This forum is for Born Free owners to provide information of a technical nature about their coach that might be of interest to other owners. This includes posting copies of Born Free coach owner's manuals. Since this is a locked forum, submissions must be made to and approved by the forum administrator (email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org).
whemme

IMPORTANT - Michelin Tire Safety Recall

Post by whemme »

Michelin has issued a recall on their Michelin LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115/112R LRE tire, the standard tire for all E350 and E450 based Born free coaches. The affected tires were the ones manufactured between the 2nd week of January 2010 thru 4th week of June 2012 (Date codes 0210 – 2512).

Click on the blue Download button on the right side of the window at the bottom of this post to download and view the complete details of the Michelin tire Safety Recall.
Attachments
Safety Recall _ MICHELIN LTX M_S _ Michelin Tires.pdf
Click on the blue Download button on the right side of this window to download and view this tire Safety Recall.
(433.09 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Thank you so much for posting this.....we were part of the recall.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
rpc

Michelin Recall

Post by rpc »

I was in a tire store a couple days ago re: the Michelin recall. The tires are on backorder for who knows how long. I'm in Ocala FL and the store said no Michelins are available in the whole state. The store rep said they could install a BF Goodrich commercial tire #225175116 T/A if I didn't want to wait on the Michelin.

Has anyone had similar problems getting the Michelin? Any suggestions on whether I should take the BFGs?

Thanks.
stevek

Post by stevek »

I was surprised I got a postal letter from Michelin.
I bought my BF used.
So, somehow they found me? Must been thru DMV?
Bought the BF in PA, and we live in CA.

Anyway.. went to my nearby Costco and they will order tires.
Said they are on back order, so I will wait until Costco gets them.
Figure I would go thru Costco, in case I have any tire problems on the road traveling. I am a big Costco fan and buy gas/ batts./ tires/ shop their all the time. Plus they have nitrogen fill/ refill, free flat repair, lifetime balance.
Not sure about tire rotation on a RV? I will have to ask.
They asked me how long MH was, said their "bay" was limited to about 25 feet.

The tire guy had talked to Michelin and said tire failures were very rare, so I will continue on short trips with the BF.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

I just checked my date code and I definitely have the affected tires. My mechanic is telling me that the LTX MS are also back ordered. I talked to the Michelin hotline and they said that there are 4 other options for tires. I could do the Michelin MS2 or the LTX A/T or I could do a BF Goodrich All Terrain tire or a Uniroyal Laredo.

Any suggestions on how I would go about deciding if any of these are good options for the Born Free?
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
Ray

Post by Ray »

Are you sure they said BF Goodrich All Terrain? I have those on my 4x4 K1500 truck. Unless there are different types of Goodrich All Terrain that is a fairly aggressive tread leaning some what toward off road.
jeffcarp

Post by jeffcarp »

I think that Michelin was just giving me all of the options that they would replace the tire with:, not knowing what kind of vehicle it was going on. With advice from my mechanic, we are going to have Uniroyal Laredo cross country tires installed this week because the inventory for the Michelin tires are very bad and we could not get any before our first trip this spring.

I feel he was very honest with me in saying that the Uniroyal tire will not have the longevity of the Michelin in terms of tread life but he also said that for my usage on a motorhome, the tires will expire before the tread life will ever be used. He felt that from a ride perspective that there would be no difference. Also, the Uniroyal tire has a speed rating that is either one level below or one level above the Michelin tires so he suggested we go with the speed level that is one level above the Michelin which I guess gives us a slightly more firm sidewall which seems to be beneficial for use on a Motorhome.

In the end, I am 3 years into my first set of tires and I get to start the clock all over with brand new ones so I am pretty pleased about that.
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
rpc

Post by rpc »

I'm still trying to find tires. Spoke with Michelin Customer Service this morning. They say the tire is in full production and should be available to fill backorders in 2-3 weeks. Not sure I believe that info.

A local Michelin dealer also spoke with Michelin this morning and they gave him a different story. Michelin said they'd put the XPS commercial tire on my BF. Anyone have experience with that one?

I'd like to call Michelin corporate office, but their website offers no phone number. VERY FRUSTRATED. My travel plans are already much delayed but I'm afraid to be on the road with these recalled tires.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Take them up on the XPS tire if no upgrade charge. It is a better tire than the Born Free OEM Michelin.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

Why are the XPS so much better?

I doubt if they would do an exact change with no additional charge?
According to the Micheline web site..
LTX M/S 2 are $234 ea. 70,000 mile
and the XPS Rib is $366 ea. 60,000 mile

I may be willing to pay the difference if they are that much better?
What difference would I notice on my BF?

The XPS is 10 pound heavier than the LTX according to the site.
Wonder why they are more heavy?

One advantage that I like about the LTX is it is Mud and Snow rated.
The XPS is not M/S rated.

I am still waiting the Costco to get my 7 tires.
It has been close to 2 months.
I am still driving my BF on short trips, thinking failer would be rare?
Steve
CA/OR border
ddpjep

Post by ddpjep »

rpc says:
I'd like to call Michelin corporate office, but their website offers no phone number. VERY FRUSTRATED. My travel plans are already much delayed but I'm afraid to be on the road with these recalled tires.
The Michelin online tire recall notice says: If you have questions or concerns after visiting your Michelin dealer, please contact Michelin Consumer Care at 1-800-231-5893. Available 8am–8pm EST Monday–Friday; 8:30am–4:30pm EST Saturday–Sunday
Ray

Post by Ray »

Deleted
Last edited by Ray on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks... I called Michelin.
Talked to Wally.
Said they would exchange XPS.... no addition charge !!!

So... should I do it or not?

He could not answer at the question why the tires are 10 pounds heavier.

The big disadvantage he said, are the are NOT M/S.

Anybody running XPS on their Rig ?? Pros/ Cons ??

Thanks Ray for input.
So you would just stay with LTX?
Steve
CA/OR border
rpc

Post by rpc »

I also spoke with Michelin Customer Support today. After being told that they would approve the XPS Rib tire on my BF, I looked up the specs on that tire. It's listed as a SUMMER tire, NOT TO BE DRIVEN IN FREEZING TEMPS!!

But, the good news is that my local discount tire dealer managed to find 6 LTX M/S tires over the last two days, so I'll have them mounted Thursday. I've been working on this for two months.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Deleted
Last edited by Ray on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Technical Library”