Awning strap

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CuJo's Pride

Awning strap

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Ok, this is going to really prove how green we are at RVing. When our awning is extended there is a 1" nylon strap that unrolls as it's opening. What is that strap for and what do you do with it when the awning is out? Right now it's blowing in the wind...

Thanks a lot.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

BTW, The awning is a "Carefree of Colorado"..

Thanks[/code]
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

You can slide the strap to either awning support and do whatever you want to secure it . Wrap it around a support, roll it in a tight circle and secure with a rubber band, etc.

The strap is used to open and to close the awning. There are a some important steps in operation of your awning that you should master to avoid damaging the awning and for your own personal safety since you are dealing with a spring loaded mechanism.

I suggest you go to the manufacturer's website, if you have not done so, and see what you can find there. Perhaps an owner's manual if you do not have one.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Ray

Post by Ray »

Dallas - Good advice

My buddy and I decided we were smart enough to operate a awning on my first RV - We broke the pull handle on the right, then the pull handle on the left - a spring lock clip - and then figured we better find the manual.

You know - its a guy thing - LOL.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We looked in the manual and it didn't address the strap. So we like the idea of rolling it up with a rubber band while the awning is out.

It's so nice to have a place to go if we have any problems or questions. We are impressed with the amount of knowledge on this site. It's fantastic. We really didn't get an opportunity to really dig in and see what the RV could do since we bought it when it was -40 windchill. We are very impressed with our BF. The last owner took excellent care of it. We got a gem.

Thanks so much.
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Check out this demo of lowering and retracting an awning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjSO0HA6do
Mel & Connie
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have a bar that I think is OEM that I use to flick the lever on the side of the awning to release it and then there is a loop in the strap that the hook goes into to pull it down until I can grab it with my hand. I slide it to one of the sides and wrap it around the upright a few times to keep it out of the way.

However, the loop in my strap broke so I need to replace it. Anyone know where I can get one online? I haven't seen them in any RV stores but I haven't looked hard.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Dude wrote:However, the loop in my strap broke so I need to replace it. Anyone know where I can get one online?
Dude, you could try Camping World for a replacement strap ($4.29 on sale now): http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... trap/69133

Bill
Attachments
2014-04-28_073830.jpg
2014-04-28_073830.jpg (30.34 KiB) Viewed 9191 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Mel for video on awning. It is exactly like my BF.
I saved it.
I still have trouble remembering all the steps to do on the awning, so I am making up a checklist.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Dude, I bought an A&E replacement strap from Amazon, very similar to the CW strap. They come in different lengths, make sure you get the longest one possible. The shorter ones don't leave much (or any) pull tab once the awning is rolled up. The one I bought is 94.5 inches long and works fine.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK
Dude

Post by Dude »

Thanks for the ideas on where to get the awning pull strap. I just put it in my amazon cart. $7 with free shipping over $35. Now I gotta go shop some more for the free shipping :P
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Ray

Post by Ray »

Ebay

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”