COACH BATTERY VOLTAGE & CURRENT METER MONITOR PANEL

This forum is for Born Free owners to detail modifications that they have made to their coach that might be of interest to other owners. Since this is a locked forum, submissions must be made to and approved by the forum administrator (email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org).
whemme

COACH BATTERY VOLTAGE & CURRENT METER MONITOR PANEL

Post by whemme »

For those that want more accuracy in monitoring the charging and discharging status of their coach battery(s), provided below is a modification that I installed in my 2002 Born Free 26' Rear Side Bed motorcoach. It is a highly accurate 10 - 15 VDC expanded scale voltmeter and a 0 - 50 amp ammeter mounted in the forward side of the range hood below the microwave as shown in the figure below.

Additional information on this meter panel modification is contained in the attached 4-page .pdf file that you can open by clicking on the BF Coach Battery Meter Pane.pdf button to the left side of the Attachments window located at the bottom of this post and just to the right of the paper clip symbol to view and/or printout this pdf file.

Also, this modification is probably best considered if your coach has already been modified by removing the existing single-stage Magnetek/Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter and replaced with a newer 3-stage type charger/converter such as the Progressive Dynamics PD9160A Charger/Converter with the Charge Wizard option. Details on doing this type of conversion are contained in a separate topic under COACH MODIFICATIONS.

NOTE: This is a relatively complex modification to install in a motorcoach and is not recommended for those without some degree of technical ability to attempt this sort of modification work. However, for those that feel they may want to attempt duplicating this kind of modification, I would be happy to provide the additional technical details and schematics necessary to do the job.

You can contact me by clicking on the email button located at the bottom of this post or calling me at 712-262-1126.

Bill Hemme
Spencer, IA
Attachments
Photo of 2.25" Simpson Voltmeter and Ammeter used to monitor condition of coach battery(s).
Photo of 2.25" Simpson Voltmeter and Ammeter used to monitor condition of coach battery(s).
Coach Battery V & I Meters .jpg (56.03 KiB) Viewed 8686 times
BF Coach Battery Meter Pane.pdf
Information on Meter Panel Installation
(940.35 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “Coach Modifications”