Window Awning Flying

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bigdipper

Window Awning Flying

Post by bigdipper »

Left side window awning is about 9 ft long and driving in side wind gusting to maybe 40 mph caused it to unfurl several times in spectular fashion. It seemed mechanically OK. Spring tension same as always. We are on the road so I duck taped it closed. Anybody else ever experience this? When I get home, will investigate tightening spring. Other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

Hi, we had this happen in a very high wind condition, spectacular is a nice way to describe it! We also used duck tape as we were on the road and it was all we had, it did hold for the rest of the trip, high winds included. It was our main awning that opened, part way. Our window awning is only about 3-4 feet long and has a different design. It did not open. When we travel now, we zip tie the arms of the awning together and bring extra ties for return trips. We have not had any other incidents, however we have not driven in very high winds since, so I cannot be sure. If your side window operates like ours, which just pulls down and has a fabric strap that attaches to a piece of hardware, I don't have a suggestion, we couldn't figure out how to secure it any more than it's tension provides. I am glad you were all okay. Reni
1991 26' rear bath twin.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Velcro straps work much better than the zip ties and are reusable.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42503-12-Aw ... B000EDOSSI

Steve
Attachments
Velcro Straps for awnings.jpg
Velcro Straps for awnings.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 17067 times
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

Nice upgrade, thank you. Reni
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Since I started this, here is sort of the rest of the story. First it important to recognize that BF has used several designs for the large passenger side awning over the years, none of them use the design for window awnings. Since my problem ocurred enroute to Humboldt for unrelated warranty work, I asked Bill, who does warranty and repairs whether he had heard of window awnings opening underway. The response was yes although he offered no suggestions for preventing this in future. I'll give Dometic a call and report here if they offer helpful advice. If not, I will take on myself to add a couple rounds of tension to both ends.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I am no expert on this subject but have had awning problems in the past. The technician at that time told me that the arms could be secure and togethor and the awning could still unfurl as you traveled down the road. Had something to do with the pawl? that keeps the awning in place. The pawl is the thing that engages or disengages when you flip the lever to open or close the awning. The only thing that might keep it from blowing open is a device called an awning clamp. The following URL is one of those devices. The only reason I did not put one on my coach at the time is that I had just had the awning rollup arm replaced and did not want to put anymore holes in the side of my coach. I have a phobia about that. http://www.rvlifestyles.com/parts_store ... s_id=16549
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
whemme

Post by whemme »

Joel,

When I click on the URL link you provided, I only get the following message: Sorry, the product was not found.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Not sure why it doesn't work. It works fine for me when I try it. Try the website www.rvlifestyles.com. This will get you on the K & K RV supply website. Then search for Awning Clamp. It comes in black and white.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Steve

Post by Steve »

whemme

Post by whemme »

Joel,

Below is a screen shot of what opens for me when I click on the URL link you listed. I get the same result using both the Firefox and Safari browsers.
Attachments
Screen Shot.jpg
Screen Shot.jpg (97.33 KiB) Viewed 16792 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

It's interesting that you can't get to the page when you click on the URL. I go right to it when I click on it from the posting. I have no explanation. However Steve's URL takes you to the same item at PPL and the price is better. K & K wants $53.39 for the exact same item. The copy in the ad is even the same except for how the awning opens. The roller tube locking mechanism is the pawl thing I was talking about. Mine had failed and was why I had to replace the roller tube.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Dan Gilmore

Awning Flying

Post by Dan Gilmore »

If I understand correctly, some of you are indicating that the main awning will unfurl with the locking lever in the locked (up) position. Is this true with current Dometic awnings with the metal cover over the fabric material?
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Dan, according to the technician that I spoke with you are correct. The awning, protected by the metal cover, can unfurl even though it is stowed properly. It all has to do with the condition of the pawl and the gear that it locks into and the wind force.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Dan Gilmore

RV Awning

Post by Dan Gilmore »

Will the Camco Awning Clamp work when installed over the metal cover? I am having trouble obtaining an answer. It seems to me the fabric roller would not be directly clamped with this device?
Dan Gilmore

Awning Flying

Post by Dan Gilmore »

Since no one has an answer to the question about the screwed on strap awning hold down, I will not install because I refuse to drill holes unless the result is known..

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”