running lights

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jd

running lights

Post by jd »

The running lights come on when I turn on the main power switch. It is a 2002 24 footer. Anyone have information about why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?
Dude

Post by Dude »

You mean they come on when you plug in?

I have heard of people buying a plug that goes into the trailer light plug that puts the running lights and taillights on on the trailer. The benefit is so you have "night lights" outside and can find your camper in the dark.

Maybe the PO rewired your BF to do that.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
whemme

Post by whemme »

jd,

Not sure exactly what you mean by main power switch. Are you referring to the coach battery master switch usually located rear the bottom of the driver's door or near the floor in the coach entry door area depending on the coach model?

Otherwise, the coach's running lights should only come on when the cab's ignition switch is ON and the headlight switch is pulled out.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jd

Post by jd »

The switch that Iam talking about is the one by the back door. And when it is turned on the lights on the outside (park lights ) come on. Looked at trailer plug and there is nothing plugged into it. This is vary strange indeed.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I would remove the ground wire on the chassis battery and if the lights remain on the power must be coming from the coach batteries. Of course then the question is why and is there a switch somewhere to interrupt that power.
Mel & Connie
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

I would check your ground connections. I have had that happen on cargo trailers. The running lights will get a feedback through the chassis and light up, although usually not as bright as normal.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
jd

Post by jd »

Thank you everyone will try the ground wires.
Dude

Post by Dude »

The trailer plug thing I am talking about is something that people with TT's do. It wouldn't be plugged in to your BF trailer plug.

If the running lights come on when you put the porch light on by the back door then I would bet $$$ the PO ran a jumper wire to light up the running lights to add more light and be seen and look different at a campground.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”