IMPORTANT - Michelin Tire Safety Recall

This forum is for Born Free owners to provide information of a technical nature about their coach that might be of interest to other owners. This includes posting copies of Born Free coach owner's manuals. Since this is a locked forum, submissions must be made to and approved by the forum administrator (email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org).
norijake

Post by norijake »

Jalan,

We replaced our M/S with M/S2 just over a year ago. They were the only ones the dealer had and he did say something about the compound in the M/S2 standing up better to weather checking in the Florida heat. The M/S2 is a 70,000 mile tire as opposed to the M/S being a 60,000 mile tire, but that was of no concern to us since we will not put anywhere near that kind of mileage on our coach before changing the tires anyway.

The M/S tires that we took off were weather checked pretty badly on the sidewalls, but were due changing regardless. We have seen no difference in ride characteristics between the M/S and the M/S2.

Jake
stevek

Post by stevek »

Got my 7 new tires from my Local Costco in Medford OR.
All with Nitrogen air fill.
So anybody needing replacement tires, Costco is a good option.
Tires are fully warrantied and serviced thru all the Costcos, and was the main reason I chose Costco.

Gas was $3.76 minus the 3% rebate w/ my Executive Costco membership.
When we travel, I know where a most of the Costcos are at, so we stop, shop and get gas.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Ray

Post by Ray »

I ended up getting my tires at discount tire - they have a ton of stores all over.

After a little problem with them explaining the warranty to me I found discount tire to be one of the best companies with the best customer service I have had the pleasure of dealing with.

BTW - if you have a tire with a nail in it or something else take it in - they will fix it for free.

They price match + also
stevek

Re: IMPORTANT - Michelin Tire Safety Recall

Post by stevek »

Hi Sam,
No.. just got the same replacement LTX M/S 2 of the originals.
Got 7 tires. It was all free.
The 7 th was a spare. Loose. No rim.
So.... need to get a rim for it.
Wheres the best place find a rim?
Just go to any Junk Yard and have them order a used one?
Or what would I look for on Ebay? What description of the rim would I search for?

I keep looking for the best place to carry a Spare.
And considering the weight.
Guess I will go for under the couch on the floor, just behind the drivers seat.
Think thats where Bill H. carrys his.
Or maybe in front.
I have a front receiver hitch.
I already carry a jack and lug wrench.
Pretty much ruled out carrying in back.
And on roof.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
hindeb

Post by hindeb »

I ordered a wheel from wheels@hubcapsusa.com. Hubcap Haven out of Buffalo, MN. I bought Used STL3210 Ford E350, E450 Dually Wheel Steel #F8UZ1015AA for $135 (including shipping). Even though they said it was used, it did not look like it. It looked like a new wheel to me.

After working with my local Ford dealer for four months trying to get my tires replaced, I finally called Michelin customer support. I had to request a second tier customer service manager, but they were very helpful and had all six replaced in two days. I did have to drive 50 miles one way to a tire shop that replaced them. 50 miles sounds like a lot, but that is only one town away in the Colorado high country!
Bruce & Teresa Hinde
Steamboat Springs, CO
2004 26RB Diesel
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Ray

Post by Ray »

Just bought a new rim for the spare from Parts Geek - $63.68 for a new steel painted rim, includes shipping - It is aftermarket and not OEM - Figured it would be good for the spare - They sell a ton of them.
ejayk

Post by ejayk »

We have a 22 ft BFT and did replace the Michelin tires. One important lesson we learned is to be sure that the installer uses the retaining clips to secure the valve stem extension on the dual rear wheels. Michelin would only allow a certified Michelin dealer to install, which we found only one in the Orlando area that had jacks to lift the weight of the RV. Because the extensions were not clipped down securely we ended up with two "blowouts". Fortunately, we had just pulled off an Interstate to get gas and lost both passenger side rear tires at the gas station. The tow truck driver saw the problem immediately.
Even more concerning is that we had recently returned from a Florida to West Texas trip, so it took a lot of miles to break off both valve stems. The tire store in Tallahassee, that replaced the tires worked through Michelin and got all work done with no cost to us. We were just happy there was not irreplaceable cost involved.
We wrote a letter to notify the place that installed the tires and Michelin, to keep this from being repeated.
Lesson learned. Safe travels to all.
Dan Gilmore

Post by Dan Gilmore »

Is this a new recall? I had my tires replaced last year under the Michelin recall notice.

Dan Gilmore

Return to “Technical Library”