Hot Dog--Annie the lab

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

richnwendy

Hot Dog--Annie the lab

Post by richnwendy »

Traveling 299 east toward Redding at 110 degrees. Cab AC on and off as we climb 3 different summits. Annie travels low profile for stability on thick dog bed near BFT seats. Suddenly heat stressed !! and we quickly found shade and cooled her with ice water. Need "cooler" bed for her, as floor is pretty warm. Anyone tried commercial products or have suggestions?
2014 23' Freedom (2nd BF)
Re-starting retirement
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

There is a lot of heat that comes off the dog house Annie is laying in front of...have you thought about a small, I mean really small fan that plugs into a port and put it on the floor for her?
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
fair winds

Cooling pets on long hot trips

Post by fair winds »

Jack, my 60+ lb standard poodle is sensitive to the heat, especially if we're using the generator (warms the floor where he likes to stretch out) or when it's a hot Florida day. I have frozen bags of ice as well as another way to cool him down. Take thin towels and roll them in tight rolls, wet them down a bit and stick the tight rolls in the freezer. If needed, they can be easily unrolled and laid on the animal to get an immediate cooling effect. It does take a bit of freezer space, but it's worth it.
Another idea I'm working on is a light doggie vest with a couple big pockets in which I can stick those blue gel freezer thingies(can't remember what they're called but they freeze up nicely) ...velcro on pocket flap to keep Jack from chewing on them may be on the final project. I'm sure they make commercial stuff, too for overheating problems, but I like to do my own thing.
Hope this helps.
Donnis in Born Free 27' RSB
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

is she laying on the floor? We have a mattress type dog bed on the floor between the seats for them to lay on. Keeps them from the direct heat of the floor.
fair winds

Post by fair winds »

Jack has an extra large crate in which he likes to travel and sleep...I've tried to offer other options such as big fluffy beds, et cetera, but he wants his crate, so the a/c from the dash breezes into it when we're rolling and when we're hooked up to electric, the roof a/c goes fine for us, when no elec. the gen runs for a/c. He is a very large standard that I took when he was a tiny chocolate puppy, thinking a regular size of poodle. But he grew and grew, a beautiful, healthy dog, and I find he stretches out "largely" on the floor. Eventually, I will get a setup with a side "sofa" like I've seen in older BF's. It's really rare that we have to resort to the frozen towel rolls, as I've never had a breakdown on the road with my BF, not since I bought it. However, in a recent event during the mother of all lightning storms, the park was hit with a resounding boom and the elec at the pole was melted. Thank heaven for Progressive surge protector. Then we had the gen to run and the heat until things could be fixed. That's when the extra cooling from the ice and cold towels really helped. It's a situational measure like having a first aid box. I find RVers are quite creative, have some spiffy ideas and share them. :)
taprjoan

Post by taprjoan »

One of our greyhounds likes to lay on the floor next to the driver and his belly would get hot....so I took the old silver sunshade that you put in the window,....folded it so it fit between the 2 front seats and up to the doghouse, and covered it with a small rubber backed bath mat. It worked for us/him. If I don't do it, the dog moves back away from the front of the cab. Hope this helps.
srvivrs3
22 ft. Born Free
Joan & Bill & 2 greyhounds
richnwendy

Re: Hot Dog--Annie the lab

Post by richnwendy »

Thank you all for great suggestions. Frozen towels nice for humans, too!
We gave up looking for commercial products $$$, so we are constructing an air-layered base for Annie's bed, using two pieces of 3/4" foamed plastic (Insulfoam), separated with (TBD) bars providing air pocket in between layers. Then will top off with her usual bed. That should block floor-board heat at least.
Also suggested was running the generator with a/c on while driving (if gasoline tank allows). Anyone ever do that? Safe?
Last, we are staying away from Redding, California, except maybe in the winter!
Thanks again and safe travels/4th of July.
2014 23' Freedom (2nd BF)
Re-starting retirement
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

yes we have driven with the generator and ac on.....works great.
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Curt built a cushion platform for the dogs that sits between the seats in the front. It is the same level as the front seats. We store maps and other items we want to keep handy in it. We covered it with a cute fabric so it looks nice and adds an extra place to sit as will. It works really well and they can look out the front window and see the sites.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Pictures of your clever designs please.

Bill
Attachments
Thread Needs Pics.jpg
Thread Needs Pics.jpg (199.92 KiB) Viewed 6788 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Cute.....
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Will do..
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Bench Curt made for our dogs to sit on. It also opens up and stores maps, dog supplies or whatever you want to put in it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 6774 times
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

The bench is on hinges so it can be opened from the top.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.24 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I purchased an ottoman, or footstool, from Target that perfectly fits between the driver and passenger seats. It was a couple of inches too high so I took off the legs. Has a hinged top with storage space inside. It is a brown vinyl that goes well with the tan interior of my BF. Around $50 as I recall.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”