Water leaks to inside the Coach

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

DennisM

Water leaks to inside the Coach

Post by DennisM »

We own a 2003 RSB. Love it. But this year we have run into leaks inside the coach. The carpet gets wet on the passenger side between the front and second seat. I am out of bright ideas. Here's what we have done so far:
Re-caulked the roof
Cleaned out the weep holes in the window over the table - this was part of the problem
Replaced window seal - there is a strip of "carpet fingers" that makes the seal between the two sliding windows - this was part of the problem
Re-caulked around the window
After reading the forum, I replaced about 400 screws that attach the fiberglass shell to the frame. The salt air of the east coast ate the screws leaving a gap in the shell at various places. This was the major problem.

The leak is much improved, but a heavy rain will still cause a damp spot on the carpet.

Is there a better way to find the leak than the trial and error method that we have used?

We are currently in Florida and sure would like to get this fixed before we get home to North Carolina.

Many thanks

Dennis Belcher
Ray

Re: Water leaks to inside the Coach

Post by Ray »

Great advice - A tarp (get a free coupon for Harbor Freight) or a bond tape that you will regret when you fix it right.

Maybe some oakum packing or gorilla tape ???????????
Ray

Post by Ray »

Gawd - Thats going to be deleted isnt it? - :(
stevek

Post by stevek »

For leaks, You might try pressurizing the inside of your BF.
This link may give you some ideas.
http://www.class-c-motorhome-info-made- ... _test.html
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

Steve;
Thank you for the link. This is what make sense to me. Question is - will Lazy Days in Tampa Florida have set up to run the pressure test?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.
Dennis
stevek

Post by stevek »

Call them and see, but my guess probably not.
I took a tour of the Born Free Factory a couple of years ago.
They pressurize all NEW Born Free's and test for leaks.
The "fan" they use, hooks up where the fantastic fan is eventually installed.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Ray

Post by Ray »

Dennis - Your location indicates your not that far from Humbolt Iowa , you might consider swinging by the factory and having them take a look at it. I think they said they still pressurize them - not sure. But they do have one heck of a water/leak test bay that they put every new RV through before it goes out the door. Thats like the final test. And the folks there know the most likely areas to look. Dont have any idea how much it would cost but the folks at Born Free are great to work with and will bend over backwards for you.

I took a pic of their water test bay in action last month - but when I looked at the pic it just looked like you were standing in the middle of a hurricane so there wasn't much to look at - LOL.
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately we have moved to North Carolina, so HUMBOLT is a long way. I wonder if the big RV dealers have the pressure setup. I will make calls tomorrow.
DB
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Dennis,
We have a 2005 26 RSB. Our coach had a similar leak problem. After replacing screws with silicone in the hole, caulking around the cabover(cone) window and replacing the vinyl insert, the leak returned. We visited the factory last October and meet with Bill, the service technician.

The problem was the horizontal seam where the cabover cone and roof meet above the cabover window. The design of the roof has the roof fiberglass sliding behind the cone side fiberglass panel. Typically the roof fiberglass would go over the side panel, but that is not how it was manufactured. The glue between the two panels had separated creating a gap for water to easily get through. The water travelled down the wall to the carpet. The design was changed around 2008 and the horizontal seam was eliminated above the cabover windows.

The repair required removal of the horizontal seam aluminum piece. I cleaned between the two fiberglass pieces with rubbing alcohol and acetone. Placed 3M Marine sealant silicone caulking (http://www.3M.com/marine) between the fiberglass. Then I put caulking on the aluminum piece and re-secured with the screws. Once the repair was complete, I let the coach sit for 24 hours so the caulking fully cured. I also replaced the vinyl insert. We are currently experiencing heavy rains in Florida and the leak has not returned.

I hope this gives you some insight to end your leaking problem.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

Ben;
Heartfelt thanks for your response. We had several different factors that as they have been corrected, lessened the leak. It is now minor, but still there.
After a heavy rain, there is some dampness next to the table "box". Not much but some. When I test for moisture with my wood moisture meter, it clearly is indicating that we have water penetration. There are also stains on the carpet sidewall when I remove the table box. The stains on the sidewall may have been from water spilling over the track in the window because the weep holes where blocked.

Key question is where your found water. Was it by the roll bar, or by the table box?

Many thanks

Dennis
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

Dennis,
I formerly lived in the Wilmington, NC area (Carolina Beach) and I had good luck with a business called "The Leak Detective" on Market Street in Wilmington. I forget the owner's name, however, he successfully helped me a number of times with RV leaks. I believe he can solve your leak.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

Dennis,

Our water concentration was initially detected under the cabover window, but then followed the moisture down the roll bar area and curved front wall to the carpet. Since the coach floor is laminated marine plywood, the water can travel everywhere.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
ejayk

Post by ejayk »

Have had multiple problems with water leaks damaging wood in our 2007 22 ft BFT. Latest problem seems to be from fan in bathroom with water coming down wall and damaging wood on back driver's side. Thought we had leak repaired, but appears we were incorrect. We assume that it is coming through fan area, but have not ruled other things out. Can wall be replaced? Planning to remove and replace seal around fan to see if that stops leaks. Other leaks have occurred because of screws and caulking. Hopefully all those have been addressed. All thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated.
DennisM

Post by DennisM »

I am pleased to report that our leak issues are fully resolved in our 2003 RSB. As with all things, age does it's nasty things.

Short form of the issues that we addressed:

1) Seal on Bath fan showed age, it was replaced
2) Weep holes in the window frames were clogged and dowel rod in the track further inhibited water from exiting the window track.
3) "Whiskers" on the window that had the most use, were worn down allowing water, when under pressure, to come through window.
4) Largest issues was the salt air of the coast corroding the screws holding the fiberglass shell to the frame allowing water to come in through the screw holes. I replaced 400 exterior grade screws (suitable for the Midwest) with 399 stainless steel screws.
5) Operator error - I missed one screw! Took the old one out, but failed to put a new one in.

The smartest thing we did in this entire scenario was to pay our RV dealer $100 and have them pressurize the coach as a final test. The test uncovered two additional leaks. One was in the license plate holder in the back and the second was in a screw that holds the bracket to catch outside compartment door when it is raised. In both of these cases the screws from the factory were stainless steel with no signs of corrosion. Visual inspection would not have uncovered the leaks.

Really wish we had had the pressurization test run a lot earlier that we did. It would have saved us a lot of aggravation.

Hope that helps

Dennis
tedelman

Post by tedelman »

Here is what I did... Looks aren't everything :O(
Attachments
IMG_0679.JPG
IMG_0679.JPG (142.09 KiB) Viewed 13539 times

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”