TV reception

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TV reception

Post by 5865 »

Next question, has anyone installed a different TV antenna? We are having problems with reception. I checked, we can't install a Winegard, no room for it to fold down. Any other ideas for a better TV antenna?
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Not being a BF owner yet, what antenna do they use? Is there a power booster (amplifier) for the antenna.

The booster really improves reception in my current motorhome.

John

TV Reception

Post by 5865 »

Born Free uses a Delta, it looks like a Rabbit Ears from the past. I've replaced the amp and replaced the wires, but no improvement. We have been in areas and got no reception, but the camper next to us with a Winegard got 4 or more stations clear. This has happened 3 different times.
hrgermany

tv reception

Post by hrgermany »

I replaced my antenna with a roadstar antenna made by wineguard,that needs a signal amplifier.It works well.
Hans Rueckert
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I'm on the road to Humboldt....between my antenna & my TV not picking up cable...???? Yes, I've checked my booster, etc., Anyway, I am extremely unhappy with both! There's nothing like sitting in the middle of a campground when it's raining, thundering & lightning outside & you can't watch TV, use your computer or make your antenna work....something's not right here...When I get to Humboldt, I definitely want these problems resolved.... :(
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We replaced our Delta with a Winegard Batwing and are far happier ~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Brent

Post by Brent »

I have to "me too" on this subject (kind of a pet peeve). The factory installed Delta is inadequate in my opinion.

This has been addressed with BF over the years, but they choose not to change anything.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

BornFree_n_Now wrote:We replaced our Delta with a Winegard Batwing and are far happier ~~
Where did you locate the batwing on your RSB? Do you have pictures?

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Mike & Jean Bandfield wrote:
BornFree_n_Now wrote:We replaced our Delta with a Winegard Batwing and are far happier ~~

Mike
Near the same position as original antenna placement ~~ I will try to take and post a picture tomorrow ~~ the Batwing, when in the lowered position, sits inline between the refrigerator vent and the air conditioner shroud ~~ tight fit but works well
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

BornFree_n_Now wrote:
Mike & Jean Bandfield wrote:

Mike
Near the same position as original antenna placement ~~ I will try to take and post a picture tomorrow ~~ the Batwing, when in the lowered position, sits inline between the refrigerator vent and the air conditioner shroud ~~ tight fit but works well
Belatedly, here are several pictures showing the mounting of our Batwing replacement antenna ~~ in addition to the included pictures, here are the links to three more:

http://storageunit.homestead.com/files/ ... Free02.jpg
http://storageunit.homestead.com/files/ ... Free06.jpg
http://storageunit.homestead.com/files/ ... Free07.jpg

It should be noted that the antenna has been installed in this fashion for the past two+ years with no problems ~~
Attachments
BatwingBornFree01.jpg
BatwingBornFree01.jpg (72.52 KiB) Viewed 20747 times
BatwingBornFree04.jpg
BatwingBornFree04.jpg (80.93 KiB) Viewed 20747 times
BatwingBornFree03.jpg
BatwingBornFree03.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 20747 times
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
bill crommett

Bat wing

Post by bill crommett »

I wish we had the option. But first I have to get rid of the King dome which does not allow even the Delta full space. Kim at the factory told me that the Delta is no longer in production and they (BF) are looking for a better replacement.

Any body want to buy a King Dome ------cheap ?
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Larry and Sharon: Thanks for the pictures. Looks like a neat installation. I've been thinking of replacing the Delta unit on my BFT as I installed a Max Air vent cover on the Fantastic Fan which limits the movement of the Delta but would not hinder the batwing type What model number did you install and did it fit in the existing hole or did you need to enlarge or adapt? Was it compatible with the BF installed signal booster? Thanks for the info.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Larry and Sharon,

I like it! Very nice setup. It seems to fit in that space like a piece in a jigsaw puzzle. Most efficient use of roof space. Any issues with the resting position or upright position due to the incline? Do they make an adjustable base for leveling?

Did you install it in the old Delta hole? Was it necessary to reinforce the area between the ceiling and hte roof to support the batwing's base?

I'd like to put ours in the same place but our new 60w solar panels pretty much cover the whole inclined area of the roof. To place the bat wing aft of the incline would not work if I interpret your pictures right. So I think we'll have to mount it over the rear side sofa just aft of the pantry.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I had the Winegard antenna installed while at the factory during the Iowa Rally. I have the RSB 26'model. I am extremely satisfied and notice a definite improvement. I think all the current models are being outfitted with the Winegard now. In my case, I don't believe they had to drill any different holes and were able to install it without any problems. They also changed the inside connection. I'm really glad I had it done by the BF staff....as they did quality work on all the upgrades I had requested. Not counting the fact that I saved thousands of dollars in what it would have cost to have similar work done here in California.....
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Thank you all for your positive comments ~~ with reference to the questions presented:

Unfortunately, I don’t have immediate access to the records pertaining to the antenna’s model number, but as I recall, it looked pretty much like the Batwings that have been around for years, and that we have previously used. The unit was purchased new in May of 2004, so I don’t think it was marketed under the Sensar III name which they currently use. That being said, I don’t believe it would make a difference.

The antenna’s control rod was put through the existing hole in the roof, and in the interior, the crank assembly looks like it was there from the factory.

The antenna’s base fits flat against the roof allowing for a most secure and clean mount with no need for reinforcement.

The existing amplifier circuit was utilized, and seems to operate the same with the Batwing as it did with the Delta, and the Batwing seems to perform as well as our previous Batwings.

The base for the antenna's head unit, in the lowered state, is made of two pieces of aluminum tubing which were cut to extend far enough to catch all 4 plastic feet on the bottom of the antenna (will take some measurements if anyone wants them), and simply glued to the roof (no additional holes). On the front most tube, a piece of black garden hose was zip tied in place to allow the antenna to rest stably on all four feet.

Existing coax cable was used.

All-in-all, although the fit is tight, and the unit is not mounted exactly the way it was intended to be, it has fared well in some extremely high winds, and is none the worse for wear ~~
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”