What do you think of Induction Cooktops?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

What do you think of Induction Cooktops?

Post by stevek »

I understand the new Born Frees have Induction Cooktops instead of the Propane.
This is all new technology to me.
So, what do you think? Pros/ cons in the Born Free?
I see Amazon has portable Induction Cooktops for about $70.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Re: What do you think of Induction Cooktops?

Post by bcope01 »

How do you use an induction cooktop while dry camping without a generator?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Post by whemme »

You probably can't.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Bill is correct, you need either 30 amp shore power or a generator to use the induction cooktop on our 2015 Splendor.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

The Harris' s are correct that on the 2015 models you need the generator or 30A connection to use the new induction cooktop. Theoretically, I have been told that our 2000 watt invertor could power the cooktop but would eat up the batteries. That being said we have been using our's for about 5 weeks and it has the advantage of cooking faster and more even than the propane cooktop. You do need compatible cookware. DW is really pleased with it and enjoys cooking on it. Eggs come out evenly browned on the bottom. We are always aware of space when adding things to our coach. Consequently we do not travel with a slow cooker, electric coffemaker electric frypan etc and therefore would probably not have an induction cooktop if we had a propane cooktop in out coach. If you are the type of camper that carries those items then you might like an induction cooktop. Besides you paid the campground for the electricity might as well use it rather than the propane that costs you so much.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I prefer to cook on a gas flame at home and in the RV anyway so an induction/electric cook top isn't very high on my list to start. All-electric RVs are OK for those who never want to spend more than a couple of days at a time boondocking and are willing to pay for the fuel and don't mind the generator noise.

When living off the grid as efficiently as possible it is hard to beat dino fuels for systems requiring or making heat. I enjoy having a microwave in the RV for quickly nuking a cup of coffee or soup but would prefer a propane oven for most cooking. Electric crock pots, fry pans, coffee makers, hair dryers, water heaters, refers/furnaces/catalytic space heaters, toasters are all battery killers. To my way of thinking electric heat sources are too limiting compared to the BTU's you get directly from fossil fuels. Why burn a fossil fuel, throw away the heat and then use the mechanical energy to make electricity? ...especially electricity that is the used to make heat. The trade offs are huge! Everyone should have the experience of keeping a 100 watt light bulb lit from a pedal powered generator.

IMO, as one who lives in a colder climate, even electric cars should be equipped with some kind of gas/propane heater for defrosting, cabin heat and maybe even heating the propulsion batteries for better efficiency.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
M&MAustin

Post by M&MAustin »

I've had an induction cooktop (4 burner) in my home kitchen for the past 4+ years and never want a regular cooktop again. That said, I cook nearly every evening while out in the Born Free and I'm not sure I'd want to have to fire up the generator for that if we were dry camping, especially since I suspect there is still a propane tank for the fridge, furnace, and water heater. Now it would be slick to have something like one propane burner and one or two induction burners!
Matt & Marie Baker
2013 26' Mobility
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

I agree with Matt and Marie. Having some of each type of burner would be ideal. We usually (80-90% of the time) have electric hookup, so could use induction, but want the capability of no-hookup camping without using the generator.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Other than needing shore power and the proper cookware, it is a great cooktop for the Born Free. I have a single burner portable unit. It stores in the microwave while traveling and sits on top of the 2 burner gas stove when camping. It provides a good uniform heating source and does not add heat or moisture to the cabin which is really nice in the summertime. The cooktop heats up very fast and cools off equally fast. A nice safety feature is that it only heats up if cookware is on the cooktop surface. It will also shut down if the cookware overheats. Cleaning the surface is a breeze - it is smooth with no crumb crevices. Because it is portable, I use the cooktop at home, too. It works much better than my electric burners. I don't spend a lot of time cooking or preparing meals; the simplicity, ease of use and single burner appeals to me.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

I agree duo would be wonderful and then put in a small gas oven for baking some homemade cookies or whatever would be the cherry on top !
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Hi Laurie, sounds good, what brand is your portable cook-top.
Mel & Connie
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Mel & Connie - I have the Aroma Model 509 cooktop. I have had it for almost two years and use it at home almost every day. It is very light and easy to pack for camping trips. It does heat up very fast. I burned a few things when I first started using it, now I rarely use the highest temperature setting, even when boiling water. Hope you enjoy it if you do buy one.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

We use induction at home and usually travel with a portable induction unit. If we know we are going to have electric at most of our stops, then the induction unit stays in the coach and we use it where we can instead of propane. I will not run the generator to power an induction unit. If over half of our trip is planned for stays at BLM, NP, NF, boondocking or other sites without electric, we leave the induction unit at home and use propane.

For cookware, I use the same cast iron skillet/pot combo on the induction unit and a propane stove. We also travel with a double-wall Durotherm pressure cooker that uses precious little energy and works well under any conditions: in the cold, at high elevations, on induction or propane.

My preference is to cook outside. Both the portable induction unit and outside propane stove have a place in our travels. I would not give up the propane stove inside the coach for an induction cooktop. Our portable induction unit can be used inside the coach.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”