2000 26 RSB Switch question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

LovemyBFCoach

2000 26 RSB Switch question

Post by LovemyBFCoach »

Hello,

A question regarding the switch that is in front of the sink, the one with the red light in the same duplex with the switch.....I have no idea what this switch is for, the light does not come on, so I'm assuming it doesn't work. Anybody?
Thanks,
Joe
whemme

Re: 2000 26 RSB Switch question

Post by whemme »

That switch is most likely your water heater ON/OFF switch. On my Born Free when that rocker switch is switched to the ON position, the red light will illuminate until the heater ignites and then the red light goes off. When left ON, later when the water temperature cools off some, the heater will re-fire again and the red light will show that by briefly illuminating again.

If the red light does not come on in your case, I would guess you might have some kind of problem with you water heater. Do not turn this switch ON unless the water heater is filled with 6 gallons of water - turning it ON with no water in the heater will destroy the heating element.

The switch and red light in your Born Free should be similar to the one in the photo below except it probably is black in color and the rocker switch and the light are oriented differently.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 9.33.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 9.33.17 PM.png (29.89 KiB) Viewed 12105 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
LovemyBFCoach

Post by LovemyBFCoach »

I don't think it is the water heater switch, as there are two switches with red lights in front of sink area and the other one operates the water heater and seems to work just like you said, lighting when the heater is on.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Send a pic - could be a user added function (nonfunction ???)

By the way - I added a green light to the water heater switch assy to show when it is on - I am more interested in that than the red light that tells you when it is firing up, although that same red light will tell you when in fault condition - which is important.
LovemyBFCoach

Post by LovemyBFCoach »

I think I got the right explanation from Kim of Born Free parts dept. One red lighted switch is for the water heater to operate on propane and the other is for when using the water heater on 110V. I still have to confirm the 110 is working.....after I replace the connector and cord coming into the coach. After taking the Marinco plug out for inspection, which I sure am glad I did, I've decided to retrofit it with a smartplug ( http://smartplug.com/marine_30amp.html ) connector. Connector was partially melted around the terminal, screw holding the wire would not even screw out as the threads were burned, wires frayed and a disaster waiting to happen. Whew!!!

By the way, Great Forum!!!
Thank you everyone!

Joe S
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Since we are on the topic of switches. We have 2 switches close to each other. The lower switch (below the outlet) is for the water heater. We have been trying to figure out what the other switch (across from the outlet) is for. Any ideas? We have a 26RB.

Thanks

NOTE: Edited by website administrator (bfadmin-2) on 10-10-14.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 11986 times
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

On my 2005 it's the switch for the fluorescent light above the the sink.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Just tried it and that's not it unless it's not working. We have a switch on the wall between the shower and sink. That controls both the shower lights and the light above the sink. Do you think that switch isn't working properly?

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Jo, we have a Hott Rod hooked to the water heater & have a second switch. Could that be it? Makes it an electric hot water heater.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Do you know if your coach has tank heaters? In our 2004 RSB with tank heaters,this is approximately where the switches were. When you switch them on, they should stay red if they are tank heaters.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Cathy,

We never thought that it may be a switch that makes the water heater electric. We have put her into slumber until spring but I'm going to put a note inside so we can ck that out. That would be nice. We could get the water up to temp and put it on electric to keep it warm and not always use propane.

Thanks so much.

Jo
Curt and Jo
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Jo, now it does turn red when it's on, but you could see inside the water heater door if it's got the adaptor, ours had a sticker inside, too.
And it's got a wire attached to the anode rod.
Hope it is, that's all we use it on.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”