Customer Service?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Customer Service?

Post by Dallas Baillio »

SEE LAST POST FOR LATEST EXAMPLE

This past Sunday after selling a motorcycle I called Progressive Insurance and cancelled my policy. The agent informed me I owed $15.81 in premium. I asked if I could pay then by credit card. I was told that I could not and would be billed by mail. The next day I received an email informing me of the owed premium and giving me an option to pay online or by phone! In addition the email informed me if I did not pay my account would be turned over to a collection agency! One day after incurring a debt seems a bit premature to me to be threatened with a collection agency, but then again maybe Progressive is having cash flow problems.

Last month when flying from Atlanta to Chicago on Delta Airlines I passed through the boarding gate and was surprised to be given a slip of paper changing my seat assignment. No explanation was given. When I asked all that was offered was a reassignment of my girlfriend to an adjacent seat. It is still a mystery. I asked the passenger that took my seat what had happened and her response was she had paid for an upgrade. My initial seat was in row 25 of economy and the reassigned seat was in row 36. If row 25 was an upgrade the passenger that took my seat must have been upgraded from the toilet. The whole affair begs the question why move me.

Ami I the only one who believes that as the customer I should be afforded a bit of respect and consideration? I don't blame the individuals involved, I blame the businesses. Poor employee training and cost cutting to maximize profits has resulted in almost guaranteed customer frustration.

Does anyone believe the telephone message "All our representatives are assisting other customers, your call is very important to us, please stay on the line and your call will be answered in the order received." Important? We are income. Profit. $$$$$. Nothing more.
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Fri May 08, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
randallrae

Re: Customer Service?

Post by randallrae »

That could be why we like Born Free.
2012 25' rb
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Boy ! I do so agree with you Dallas....between AT&T, DirecTV & BofA... I could write a book... not happy with State Farm or Vanguard either....
Customer service for even the slightest problem is a thing of the past.... and if you REALLY need help forget it. I tried getting a wire transfer from a Vanguard acct. to help my Grandson buy his first house & we almost lost the house because Vanguard put a hold on my acct. without reason.... long story but due to intervention from a upper Rep. , the transfer went through in time...
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I wrote Garmin with a question about my GPS -------

>> Original Message ...
>> From: dbaillio@earthlink.net
>> To: product.support@garmin.com
>> Subject: Is My Nuvi damaged if stored for an extended period of time and battery is fully discharged
>> Sent: 12/14/2014 9:57 AM
---------------------------------------------------------->>
Here is their response:

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have encountered.
It is our pleasure to assist you.
Are you receiving an error message, or experiencing performance issues with your device?
If you have received an error message, please send the complete and exact wording that you have received, either on the device itself, or on your computer.
Garmin does recommend updating the device software on a regular basis.
Any corrections, improvements, enhancements to the performance of your device will occur by updating the software.
Please complete a software update on your device, using the Garmin Express application, which can be downloaded here: http://www.Garmin.com/Express
Please be advised that the software update and/or a master reset may erase your saved favorite addresses. For instructions to backup your favorite addresses, please click on the link below:
http://support.garmin.com/support/searc ... 0000000000}
Please feel free to respond if we can offer further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Garmin.

With Best Regards,

Annie

Customer Care - Automotive Team
Garmin International
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Dallas, Garmin tech support is the absolute worst! When you finally do get through to a person, they are very helpful but I generally just give up and email a friend I am lucky enough to know who sells them for REI and is very knowledgeable.
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
2cookies

Post by 2cookies »

Here's my experience with Direct TV and AT&T: I contacted Direct TV because of all the mail I was receiving advertising their low rates as compared to my cable. I was told by a rep on the phone that they had this great plan for only $39.99 that would give me the same channels as my cable company. Plus with AT&T, I would have more savings on my telephone. I signed up over the telephone and within two days I had a satellite dish up and turned on my TV and found I was missing channels I was supposed to be getting. I called up and was told I signed up for a cheaper plan. After speaking with supervisors and their corporate office I was given the channels I had previously requested. Meanwhile, I had contacted AT&T canceling service before it was installed because I suspected I was part of a bait and switch scam.
Also, when the dish was installed on my roof, the installer had me sign for the installation and, without my knowledge, included a $9.99 insurance plan. Needless to say, with all the double talk over the phone I found my bill would be more then double from what I thought it would be for the first 12 months and then would almost double again for the next 12 months.
Here's the best part: although I never had AT&T start service, I've received calls asking how I liked the service; I'm receiving bills for the service and I'm getting overdue payment letters.
As for Direct TV, after emails with their Corporate Office and realizing I would be stuck with higher payments then I was first quoted, I told Corporate I was canceling service because of the misrepresentation by their rep. They sent me a mailer to return the receiver, which I promptly did. I then received a phone call that I owed them $400 for early cancellation of service and I'm receiving monthly bills and overdue notices for payment from both Direct and AT&T.
The bills are going into the trash without being opened and I will write to the California Communication Commission if they continue to send bills.
At one time, the customer was always right, but now with overpopulation they have so many customers that they really don't care how they treat the few that are unhappy with their service. I had a similar problem with Verizon but that's another long story.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy RVing New Year and don't let the big corporations get under your skin. :D :D
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I completely believe your experience....I have Directv in my home & have to watch every month for my bill to see how they've overcharged me...(never under-charged ... of course). I have AT&T for my land line & have to fight with them too...usually every month or so. No, I do not have my services 'bundled', but that's another long story of their screw-ups (in order to charge more rather than give me the lower price)....I speak to Supervisors when I call Directv and the last time I spoke to one I told him how I felt about new customers getting all these amazing 'deals' , while long time customers get screwed over.... After reading your post, that deal for new customers might not be such a great deal after all......
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Appropriate for this time of year my faith was restored when I tracked down a replacement for an unusual kitchen cabin door hinge. The owner of a local mill works business spent ten minutes going through his wholesaler catalogs and found the elusive hinge I needed. A call to the wholesale warehouse connected me with a helpful, knowledgeable customer service rep who directed me to an online retailer that quickly shipped the elusive hinge. Local businesses are often so much better to deal with than giant corporations. I again see the glass as half full instead of half empty :D
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Great story.....agree with you.... seems small businesses practice customer satisfaction far better than the big ones.... glad you got that hinge ! :D
2cookies

Post by 2cookies »

I agree that small businesses care about the individual and often provide exceptional service. To follow up on my Direct TV and AT&T, my cable and phone company was and still is Cox. I held on to them while dealing with the other two and,although they appear to be charging a little more, there service has always been top notch. When I need to call, I usually get someone immediately and he or she is not in India struggling with the English language. Their service people are usually out within 24 hours when I've had problems and have upgraded my TV and phone connections outside and inside without charge. When I call to see if I can get a discount, their reps have always come through with a new promotion or discount. I've been with Cox for 10 years and I think I'll stay with them for another 10.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Well big business strikes again. Bought a coffee table and sofa from Pier I that was to be delivered today by their extra cost "White Glove Service" (You already know where this story is going! Right?) between 9 am and I pm. Three calls to "White Glove" between 1:30 and 3 pm only got voice mail. Called local store and got another telephone contact. Coffee table was damaged in transit so delivery cancelled. You just gotta figure that a business called "White Glove" ain't.

Elsewhere on this website we have the story of Mary vs. Camping World unfolding. Hope she fares better than I have today.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”