Born Free being sold!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

charlesbell

Re: Born Free being sold!

Post by charlesbell »

I always thought BF should/could be an iconic brand like Airstream (which has been sold many times). Hopefully the infusion of cash can make good things happen for the company.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Trix

Post by Trix »

The link to sign up for the Factory Rally has been pulled. Wonder what THAT means?
Trix
tent camper
pop-up camper
learning RV'g in my 2007 24' RB
2011 Subaru Forester toad
Ray

Post by Ray »

Not sure about the link but I know they were still talking about the rally yesterday
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

The rally link from the Born Free webpage and the registration form are working for me.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
whemme

Post by whemme »

The link to the 2015 Born Free Factory Homecoming Rally is working.

Click on this link http://www.bornfreerv.com/#!born-free-rally-2015/cumq to register. There is no charge.

You can also go to the associated post on this forum in the section titled 2015 Born Free & Lazydays Factory Sponsored Rallies by clicking on this direct link: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... 161&t=4666
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bill Dodgen

Post by Bill Dodgen »

Sixty-Eight years under the guidance of John Dodgen. That's an incredible run and it's a testament to perseverance, adaptability and vision. Would like to share a copy of the letter I sent today to my uncle and aunt, John and Wanda Dodgen.

February 19, 2015

John and Wanda Dodgen
Springvale Senior Living
1701 10th Ave. North
Humboldt, Iowa 50548

Dear John and Wanda,

I heard recently about the sale of Dodgen Industries and read the article about it in the Humboldt newspaper. Congratulations on finding a buyer that is willing to keep the company alive and intact. Of course, I’m saddened about the unforeseen health situation that John C. T. is facing, and the impact that has had on your plans for keeping the name Dodgen in Dodgen Industries. Johnny and Brandon would have undoubtedly taken the reins and made you both proud of their accomplishments with the company. I saw firsthand what they were able to do in just a couple of years prior to John C. T.’s diagnosis.

Now for some well deserved praise for you, John. You, Joe and Jack started the company two years before I was born. That’s close to 68 years ago. That’s an incredible run for a company--especially for one in the volatile motorhome industry. I know what it’s like to struggle to make payroll, as I did so many times in the 26 years I had my software company. But 68 years is very rare for a small business. Even the lifespan now for larger corporations in the S&P 500 is about 15 years. Only 44% of small businesses make it to their 4th year.

You’ve been a tenacious salesman and a tireless spokesman for Dodgen Industries, John. I remember as a kid, you and Dad and Jack laughing about your many exploits, and hearing of several ingenious ways that you overcame what seemed to be insurmountable obstacles. There were times when Dad told us to turn off the lights at home to save electricity when the company was facing a cash flow challenge. I remember having the Born Free lion cub follow me down to the basement of the old bank building, where she scared the begeebees out of a few tellers on their coffee break. Cindy and I won’t ever forget the time we rented a Born Free and took it to Atlanta for the national Kiwanis Club convention, and I headed into a parking garage with a 9 foot ceiling clearance. There were lots of unhappy motorists behind me as we had to clear a path for me to back out. I was a proud owner of two of your motorhomes and I consider the second one—a new one—as one of the best purchases I ever made.

All and all, John, you did a remarkable job of keeping Dodgen Industries alive and viable for such an incredible run. And Wanda, despite what John says (smiley face), he couldn’t have done it without your support. Well, that’s it. Just wanted to let you know that I’ve appreciated being related to those that made Dodgen Industries and Born Free such successful enterprises. We’re getting updates from Johnny, and are encouraged by his progress.

Take care and Best Wishes,

Bill Dodgen
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Thanks so much for sharing.....New owners will do what they have to do to make their investment sound but I for one will never feel the same about the company now that the Leader is gone....He (& his wife) were true 'pioneers' in an industry that was just starting to spread it's wings....Mr. D helped that happen !!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”