How common are Wild Turkeys?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

How common are Wild Turkeys?

Post by stevek »

New to me, but staying at a very nice Oregon State CG in southern Oregon on Hwy. I5.
I see wild Turkeys roaming around the Camp Ground.
Kinda neat. :shock:
Just made me wonder how common are these birds?

Gas is down to 3.20 at Costco in Medford, OR.
Hear some of you are under 3 bucks.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
shilohdad

Re: How common are Wild Turkeys?

Post by shilohdad »

Well, it depends on where you are, and/or what reintroductions have been done. We live in downstate New York since 1987. Turkeys were extirpated here, probably in the early 1900s. Part of the problem was hunting and part was habitat destruction. Turkeys like fairly mature woodlands. Here in lower NY state most of the woodlands were cut in the late 1800s and early 1900s, mainly for firewood. Turkeys disappeared, but Ruffed Grouse liked the edge habitat produced.

When we moved here in 1987, grouse were still around, as well as a few turkeys. As the area woodlands matured, the grouse disappeared and the turkeys took off. Now, we see lots of turkeys, most of which are derived from reintroduced stock from the 1980s.

Elsewhere, turkeys never got extirpated. My father lives in Florida and they have tons of turkeys.

So, are they common? Yes, in many areas they are, sometimes because they have always been there, sometimes because the reintroductions into former areas work due to habitat reconstruction.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

A flock of about 40 turkeys appeared last year on our property. We were considering hunting them for Thanksgiving, but did not have a clue how to cook them. This year they are our guests again, doing tremendous job on the weeds. Nice watching them - I think they've sensed our incompetence on the subject and don't fear the pot. :D :D
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We have lots of wild turkeys here. They are usually in cornfields once the corn is down.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks everybody for the input.
Always something new for me to learn. :D
Just amazing, seeing the wild turkeys was new to me and fun to watch.
Steve
CA/OR border
Dude

Post by Dude »

3 years ago I was on a guys camping weekend at French Creek SP in PA. We sit around the campfire and drink beer all weekend :D There was 1 wild turkey running around the campground loop all summer long. There were also a couple of kids in the campground with light sabers. One of them was pretending to "battle" the turkey (not hitting it but making the zzzzoooom zoom shrooom light saber noises) It was hilarious. Then the kid tapped the light saber on the ground and the turkey didn't like that and raised it's feathers and squawked and chased the kids who ran screaming. We were rolling on the floor laughing. Then one of the kids tripped and rolled into the fetal position crying. At that point we got up and chased the Turkey away.

We just came back from my groups annual guys camping trip so of course this story came up.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Last weekend my wife and I took a ride up what is known as See Canyon near San Luis Obispo, Ca.and saw a flock of wild turkey's that must have numbered at least 100. It was the largest number in one spot that I have ever seen.
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

South Llano River State park, in Texas, is the winter roosting place for hundreds of wild Turkeys . It is off I-10 near Junction, Tx. They roost near the campground in trees, and can be seen and heard. Nature trails have blinds from which to view them. Some of the park is off limits to folks to protect them, but the park is beautiful in the fall especially, and worth a visit. Check the web site before you go for closure dates. There are some 2-3 day periods in Oct-Dec the park is restricted to hunter's (deer) only.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Frequently seen around my house.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Attachments
wt101.jpg
wt101.jpg (5.79 KiB) Viewed 10044 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

PIC taken this morning when I woke up.
We have spent the last 2 months on the road bumming around. All in CA and loving it. :D
Thank you Born Free !!

Steve
CA/OR border
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

You wish to see wild turkeys. In Chico, all you have to do is take up golf. And there they are. For some reason, golf courses and turkeys get along quite will together. Undoubtedly due to the fact that the turkeys realize that most golfers can't shoot a gun any better than they can hit the wee little ball so they feel quite safe. Being a golfer myself, I can state the preceding with a great deal of confidence. :D
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Steve,

Nice photo. I love the ho-hum attitude of the hens toward the displaying toms.

It will be a while before we see this in southeast NY. We still have almost 2' of snow on the ground, with no hint of a thaw the next week.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”