Do Air Shocks Lose Air?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Longld

Do Air Shocks Lose Air?

Post by Longld »

My first vehicle with air shocks - if I don't use my BF for thirty days, I have to add air to both rear shocks - is this normal? BTW, I run about 55, usually down to twenty after 30 days.....
Lee & Mary Long, 2005 RSB 26 V10 GAS
Phoenix, Arizona
whemme

Re: Do Air Shocks Lose Air?

Post by whemme »

Lee,

Are you referring to your coach's rear air bags rather than air shocks. If you really mean air bags, yes they will deflate slowly over time just like your tires do. If your airbag inflation drops from 55 psi down to only 20 psi in just 30 days, then you have leak problems. They may need to be replaced.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Longld

Post by Longld »

yes, Bill - air bags - so are these normal Ford items that they can address or are they a BF add-on?
Phoenix, Arizona
WardPAW

Post by WardPAW »

The air shocks (bags) do lose air over time. We have the same year of coach. I replaced the valve inserts as the rubber o-rings dry out over time and do not hold air. I also put on new stainless steel caps with a rubber seal inside the cap. The rate of air lose slowed, but it still occurs. The parts can be purchased at an auto parts store.

When traveling continuously, we did not experience much air lose.
Ben Ward
2005 26 RSB, Diesel
RV Name: Lion PAW
Longld

Post by Longld »

Good Idea Ben - will do that as just a maint item to insure they are not leaking at the valve stems.
Phoenix, Arizona
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

WardPAW wrote:The air shocks (bags) do lose air over time. We have the same year of coach. I replaced the valve inserts as the rubber o-rings dry out over time and do not hold air. I also put on new stainless steel caps with a rubber seal inside the cap. The rate of air lose slowed, but it still occurs. The parts can be purchased at an auto parts store.
We also lose air over time - a little unequally - maybe 10 lbs/mo. Also, the volume is so small just the act of checking them can affect them by a couple of lbs. So if you check them with the tires everyday while traveling you will need to fill them more often.

(Note the years and models of our BFs :!: )
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Ray

Post by Ray »

Mike - Your right - I learned that right away on my 1st Born Free. I checked the pressure, then checked it again and it was lower by several pounds, then checked again and it was lower yet, by a pretty fair amount - I thought I had one heck of a leak. Then I realized that if you dont get that gauge on there dead on the first time you lose allot of pressure just checking them.

I did run into a BF owner at the Lazydays ralley that had a small pump mounted in the storage area that had a dual read gauge and two valves to increase or decrease air pressure - it was 12v - really kinda a trick setup. Not sure how much they cost, probably allot. He said some have the controls mounted inside by the drivers seat - I have never seen that.
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Years ago I installed the Air LIft Load Controller system and was very pleased with the results http://www.airliftcompany.com/products/ ... ontroller/ I see from their current website they have come a long way making the system more user friendly and easier to install. Great to know all the time what the pressure in each side is and the ease of adding or deleting air if necessary.
Mel & Connie

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”