leaf stains

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tevz32

leaf stains

Post by tevz32 »

Took the BF out of storage today. Out side covered with a tarp. The useless luggage rack on the roof formed a nice pool for the rain. Tree leaves found that pool extremely inviting and settled in for a long stay. A lasting reminder of their stay was a really ugly stain. The roof is one thing, only I can see that, but the stain also dribbled down the sides and back of the coach. Tried a couple of cleaner/stain removers without much effect. I would appreciate any ideas/products. Thanks. :cry:
Dallas Baillio

Re: leaf stains

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I've posted about using bleach before and had comments that indicated bleach is something to fear. I use it often for stubborn stains. Put it in a spray bottle, use rubber gloves if they make you feel better (I rarely do), and spray a cloth then wipe the stain. It will not damage the fiberglass or the decals.

As an added comment I placed milk crates in the area inside the luggage rack to elevate the tarp I was using at the time to cover my BF top.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Ray

Post by Ray »

Try bleach - if that dosnt work try purple power (auto stores sell it) - if that dosnt work try McQuires 49 (buffing/cleaning compound) - The first two are the easy spray and rinse - the third requires elbow grease.

Be careful with the purple power - its more aggressive (acidic) than bleach - also, it will take wax off (well bleach will also) - dont get it on your skin and if you do rinse right away. It wont kill you but you will feel it on sensitive skin.

There are some stronger things we use on boats but you really should not need that on a RV. FYI - those stronger things are oxalic acid, and muratic acid - you have to wear respiratory protection and pretty much full MOP gear with muratic. Oxalic is safer but for sure skin protection. You will probably have trouble finding oxalic.

Before jumping to that step try snow bowl - yes toilet cleaner - but that is just basically watered down acid so be real careful with that and keep it localized. - Protect skin.

There is also wet sanding and some other stuff to restore gel coat - but you really shouldn't have to do that.
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

Oxalic acid is one of main ingredients in Barkeeper's Friend. Find it in the aisle with the silver polish and the copper cleaner.

Caryl
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

Ammonia wont do anything for you - The post is another repeat of what others have said - plus a guess

One added comment - if you get to the more aggressive stages of gel coat clean up please use the proper protection for yourself and surrounding areas.

As with anything you do - eye protection is a must - Please protect your eyes no matter what you are doing.

And for those like me that need a little help seeing - There are some excellent choices out there for Z71 certified eye wear that has the correction you may require.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

In addition to Ray's excellent safety comments, just a reminder to never combine bleach, ammonia and/or HCl (muriatic acid). The resulting mixture is extremely toxic.

Muriatic acid (HCl) is available in gel formulation, Y-10 is one brand, but I'm sure there are other versions. It's usually available at boat shops. It is easier to use than liquids and stays in place without dripping for longer application times.

If you want to try something 'green', baking soda and white distilled vinegar is a great cleaner and stain remover, and it's a fun to watch the chemicals react, lots of foaming and bubbling. Even for this simple reaction, use eye and hand protection per Ray's suggestion.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

I would second Laurie and Ray's recommendations. Having spent many hours in various chemistry labs and witnessing first hand what even a very small amount of muriatic acid can do to skin I personally would only use it as a very last resort after everything else had failed.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
stevek

Post by stevek »

I might as well throw in my idea.
I had staining on my BF roof and nothing seemed to remove it.
And then I remember my Mothers favorite stain removing stuff.
A bar of old fashion Fels Naptha.
Worked great and the stains from the roof were easily removed. :D
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tevz32

Post by tevz32 »

Thanks for all the suggestions re leaf stain. I tried bleach, Purple Power and an old cleaner I have had for ever called Restor. They all helped some ie lightened the stain. None (so far) really cleaned it up. I might be looking for magic? Admittedly, I'm a little gun shy about muriatic acid because I have used that on brick but I might give it a try. Unfortunately Michigan weather is once again doing its April Fool thing all this week and its too nasty to be scrubbing stains. I'll let you know what works.

Tom & Elaine
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

The active ingredient for Y-10 Fiberglass cleaner gel is oxalic acid (not muriatic acid). I have used it on boats to clean waterline stains without any issues. It is very effective with little elbow grease needed. If I knew about Fels Naptha, I would have tried that first. In fact, I may try it for washing the coach this year.
Laurie
2001 Born Free 23' RK
tevz32

Post by tevz32 »

Leaf stains redux. In a earlier post I commented that maybe I was looking for magic, well I guess I found it - its called SUNSHINE! I tried many of the suggestions made by many of you each of which only lightened the stain but did not erase it. After sitting in the sun and some rain for 3 weeks I went out this morning to give it another go and behold and lo stains were GONE! (sounds like a tv commercial). Not only stains where it had run down the sides which were my main concern but also the huge stain on the roof. Perhaps it was the combination of the products I tried and the sunshine but personally I give credit to the marvelous creation we live in. At any rate I am a pretty happy camper. :mrgreen:
Tom & Elaine
Mary

Post by Mary »

stevek wrote:I might as well throw in my idea.
I had staining on my BF roof and nothing seemed to remove it.
And then I remember my Mothers favorite stain removing stuff.
A bar of old fashion Fels Naptha.
Worked great and the stains from the roof were easily removed. :D
Steve, how do you use the Fels Naptha on the motorhome? Do you just rub the stain with the bar soap and wipe or do you rub with a clean cloth or?

At the end of the process, do you rinse with water and dry with cloth?

Mary
stevek

Post by stevek »

Mary, I just rubbed Fels Naptha on a real damp wash cloth and then rubbed it on the stain, and wiped it off with a dry cloth.
Then applied a good coat of wax.
I like using a paste wax.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”