Spring Cleaning the outside of my Born Free BFT 2007

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Escape

Spring Cleaning the outside of my Born Free BFT 2007

Post by Escape »

Getting ready to do a hard cleaning on the outside of my Born Free BFT ... curious what type of polish you all use on the outside of the fiberglass shell ?
Steve & Sally
2008 Born Free BFT Cabover
randallrae

Re: Spring Cleaning the outside of my Born Free BFT 2007

Post by randallrae »

Rejex
2012 25' rb
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Sam, I know you have written about this before. Please clarify - did you just apply it once or are you using it multiple times? And did you use something different to clean it prior to apply the wax? Sue
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

David and Susan Bratt wrote:Sam, I know you have written about this before. Please clarify - did you just apply it once or are you using it multiple times? And did you use something different to clean it prior to apply the wax? Sue
Sue, a search of this forum for 'Zep' should lead you to a lot of information. You'll find a lot more info with a Google search - not all reports are roses and sunshine - but it is generally favorable.

I did 4 coats of Zep last year; so far so good - but I'll not be recommending it until I've got a another year or two of experience. I'll be doing a thorough wash and adding 2 more coats of Zep today. On the plus side I don't see a lot of risk if you want to give it a try.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Dude

Post by Dude »

What products do you use to clean the black streaks on the sides and roof? A basic washing took care of most of my streaks but my roof is black. I know I should wash it more often but I don't. Who decided to make RV's white???????????
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Dude wrote:What products do you use to clean the black streaks on the sides and roof? A basic washing took care of most of my streaks but my roof is black. I know I should wash it more often but I don't. Who decided to make RV's white???????????
If the gel coat surface is oxidized the dirt/stains will likely need rubbing out with Barkeepers Friend, rubbing compound or a 600 grit wet/dry emery cloth/paper.

If RVs were black your dirt would be white :lol:
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
stevek

Post by stevek »

More info on Red max Pro.
Lots of reading on this one.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f54/ ... 43004.html

On my 2011 Born Free I use the following.
All can be purchased thru Amazon.

General Wax...Megular's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Paste Wax

Light oxidation.... Gel-Gloss One Step Cleaner & Polish

For More heavy duty oxidation and on my roof....Meguiar's M4916 Marine/RV Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover

And finally I use...... Rejex Liquid Wax on the OH, just because it suppose to make bug removal more easy. And I agree it seems to work.
Last edited by stevek on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I used the Zep/Red Max Pro 3 years ago (two coats) and was well satisfied with the results. This past winter the sides of my BF still shone but the cabover and particularly the rear had dulled. I attribute the deterioration of the coat on the rear to the abrasive effect of pelting road grime.

I cleaned and applied another coat this winter and it sparkles again.

I know there are concerns about difficulty of removal if over time there is yellowing. After all
It is a floor finish, not an auto/motorhome wax. I took the risk because I knew I needed to protect the fiberglass coat and waxing was too taxing at my age. I don't see yellowing but then my eyes may be less discerning than other people.

If hesitant to try it do a test plot for comparison. Wax with whatever you want and do a test plot on a not so obvious place of a square yard or less.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Last year at the factory rally a rep from Lazydays recommended using "Nu Finish" car polish. I have not used it on my coach but it has worked well on other vehicles. It's available in liquid or paste.

http://www.nufinish.com/products/car-polish
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

I have used a sponge mop and "Soft Scrub" bath and kitchen cleanser on the roof.

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
stevek

Post by stevek »

Good idea on the soft scrub.
Does it remove oxidation?
Do you think it will make the dull finish of the Gel Coat shinny?
Thats the main problem I have with the roof and overhead bed of my Born Free, is keeping it shinny.

Maybe I should try that Red Max Pro, but just on the roof?
I have no problems keeping the sidewalls of my BF shinny. Just the roof.

If anyone orders a new BF from the factory, you might think of having just the roof painted.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Brent

Post by Brent »

I've attached a pic of what I just used. More details in the post "detailing a 16 year old coach"

Good luck
Brent
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 10701 times
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”