What do you LOVE about your Born Free?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dude

What do you LOVE about your Born Free?

Post by Dude »

I love my Born Free because I get to spend quality time with my Son 5, Neice 13, and Nephew 10 (and sometimes my wife.....she doesn't like campng as much as I do). My BF allows me to give them experiences they would not get elsewhere. How to build a fire, how to cook, visiting wildlife preserves, Historic sites.

I love that I can walk into my BF at a moments notice and pack it. I started camping in a popup camper and storage and packing was a unique experience.

I love having a full size fridge and a freezer that I can store my food in. No ice required.

I love that I have a hard roof over my head (remember the popup) so I can relax inside during bad weather or to warm up in the winter.

I also love the microwave. Some may say you aren't camping if you bring a microwave. My response to that is they have probably never camped with a young child. They don't eat when dinner is ready so you have to warm it up, they don't like what is for dinner or want to eat right now.....I always have easymac for my son :)

I love that I can just pull up to the campsite and essentially just park it and set up my lawn chair. Keep remembering I came from a popup.....raise the roof, pull out the beds, move stuff from the Tow Vehicle into the popup. Reverse on Sunday.

I love having my own toilet and shower. My butt was the last one on the toilet and I don't need to wear shower shoes. Ok, it is mine and the people who are in my BF.

I love the places my BF has brought me to and the people I have met while camping in it.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Dude

Re: What do you LOVE about your Born Free?

Post by Dude »

Ohhhh, I almost forgot.

I LOVE that I found out my BF has tilt steering :D
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
DDLB

Post by DDLB »

Here's what I LOVE about our new 2015 Born Free Triumph 25RB! We previously owned a 2003 Born Free 26RB.

1. THE SLIDE - love it - just gives us more room - has the most comfortable sofa sleeper trundle ever!
2. The cool smart Samsung TV it came with - example can use a USB flash drive filled with movies and TV programs - no need for taking along our
satellite dish on tripod and receiver.
3. The cabinet door latches - vast improvement over the 2003 latches!
4. The wonderful overhead cab bed - also very very comfortable mattress compared to the 2003 that we had to use with a memory foam topper (as an
aside I'm still glad we are able to climb a ladder) - it is so roomy up there!
5. The Firefly that came with an iPad Air that has the app that turns your lights off and on - shades up and down - tv up and down and does just about
everything but flush the toilet for you :-)
6. The wonderful service Born Free has provided us - kudos to Kim and Linda and Ed for answering all our questions and going above and beyond in most cases. Best customer service I have ever experienced!
7. The dera ceramic style floor - so easy to keep clean and so durable - better than ceramic tile.
8. The deal we got from Ed on the price of the Born Free with the options (lots of bells and whistles) included that we would never have ordered on our own! Example liquid springs - wow - a more stable ride in adverse road conditions. Or the mobile eye designed for safety or the full-body paint - gorgeous!
9. The excellent shower door option - no more shower curtain!
10. The BIG refrigerator - love the size!
11. The fact I don't have to kennel the dogs when we travel.
12. The lighted labeled wall switches are excellent especially the master light switch!
13. The nifty usb/electrical outlet combos - this is REALLY a great idea - can plug in your phones/ipads to charge without the big adaptor - do not need extension cords anywhere!
14. The shades - will be able to keep clean easier - they go up and down with the push of a button.
15. The cut to fit curtain for door window (although we did put velcro to attach inside the door frame) - perfect fit.
16. The wrap around drapes for the cab - much better design than the old one in front of the windshield
17. The fact we can drive it to the homecoming in June - really looking forward to that!
18. I love the fact I only have a few things I would want changed - most importantly a swivel front passenger seat - we removed the seat behind it at
the table to free up space as there are only 2 of us. The other thing is we lost a lot of basement storage with the trundle sofa.
Donna Becker
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We haven't found anything we don't love about our Born Free, aka Bertha. We went from tent camping to conversion van to our Born Free. We love having our own bathroom and bedroom. I personally love that I know everything is clean ! We love having a freezer so we can have ice cream whenever we want. We love feeling safe when we lock the door and climb into bed. We love being able to take our 2 Springers, Betsy and Moxie with us everywhere we go. We love laying in the cabover bed and listening when it rains at night. We love that everything runs like a dream.. We love that Bertha is self contained. We love how solid she is. And most of all we love the time we get to spend together. When we're at home Curt always feels like he needs to be "doing something" but when we drive out of the driveway in Bertha it's like we are leaving all the stress of life behind us. We are so proud we are able to have a Born Free. We are looking forward to retirement so we can spend a lot more time in Bertha. Bertha is opening a whole new world for us. After my parents retired I watched them stop living their lives. Bertha isn't going to allow us to "stop living" our lives. She is going to take us places we have never been before, meet new people and live our life for as long as we can. Oh and one more thing, I love watching my hubby cook breakfast while I'm still in the cabover bed cuddling with the girls !!

Jo, Curt, Betsy and Moxie
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
rhyde

Post by rhyde »

What I love most about my Born Free might surprise some as I have seen a number of posts where people have said they hate them. I love the two captains chairs. Our previous motor home was a 99 American Cruiser (Class B). My biggest complaint was lack of comfortable seating. It had a sofa and a dinette which together converted into 2 twin or 1 king size bed. The dinette was ok for eating or playing cards but neither was comfortable for kicking back and watching TV or just taking a snooze. In the Born Free, I just swivel the seat and put my feet up on the sofa (without shoes to avoid the wrath of the DW) and its as good as my recliner at home. A cold beverage from the fridge only enhances the experience. Now if I could just find a set of Born Free tumblers that I have seen in pictures of other owners, I could have that beverage in style!
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

What I love most about our first Born Free and our new 2015 Splendor is that home travels with us and our two dogs. Due to time constraints, we spent a total of 9 days in the last month on 2 trips traveling by car,in hotels, eating every meal in restaurants and leaving our dogs at home. Oh my gosh, there is no way we would have traveled over 125,000 miles in the last 10 years in this manner! It was awful and I found myself looking longingly at exits with places where we have camped, on our way to yet another hotel. Why does a hotel room seem so much more confining than our Born Free? They may change the towels every day but I prefer my own and for sure my own bed and food! We second every positive comment about the 2015 models posted above. The upgrades over our previous 2004 RSB are awesome. We especially appreciate the larger rear bed on the diesel platform and the truly darkening window shades. We even think that the Jack antenna works better, so far, than our Winegard with the wingman. For sure the satellite dish is better than our 2004 model. Plus, Miss Kitty is just flat out pretty! We are looking forward to getting her out of storage and going to Door County and wish we could have gone to homecoming. Have fun everyone!

Judy Harris

P.s. Jo, how do you get the dogs into the cabover bed?
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Hi Chuck and Judy,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. Curt built actual steps. They're made out of aluminum extension ladder and the steps sit on the rungs of the ladder, the steps are carpeted to match. They work fantastic. We use them as well as the dogs. We knew there was no way the dogs could get up those rungs ladders it came with and I was concerned about getting down at night (I'm sure you all understand the problem there). We don't have a problem anymore. Moxie just hops up and down no problem. Betsy's is a bit more neurotic so we stand behind her or bribe her with a treat. She doesn't like high places so she doesn't stay long. Moxie sleeps up there all night and comes and goes when she needs something. When we don't use them we put them in the cabover and they ride nicely and take up very little room.

Jo
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

Thanks, Jo. That is awesome!!

Judy
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

rhyde wrote: Now if I could just find a set of Born Free tumblers that I have seen in pictures of other owners, I could have that beverage in style!
What we love about our BF is the tumblers! Just kidding, but ours had them and I immediately took them out and put them in a safe place, only to be used on special occasions. Not that they are that precious, but they are pretty cool.

Seriously though, after 30 years of Vintage Airstreams, it's nice to camp in the 21st century. I love the captains chairs, a nice size bathroom, the quality finishings and cabinets, the rattle free quite ride, a sizeable refrigerator and freezer, etc. Only used it twice, but have trips planned to Lassen, Yosemite, Death Valley, Moab, and others. We're keeping it ready to go except for food so we can be on the road in a flash.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

I forgot to add that we love our solar panel. Never a worry needing 12v power.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

That the '06 Kodiak chassis was purchased from Fitzpatrick Chevrolet in Storm Lake, IA; the coach was built in Humboldt, IA; the hydraulic jacks are from HWH in Moscow, IA, and the furniture is from Flexsteel in Dubuque, IA. It's about as close to being an Iowa-sourced coach as one can find.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Brent

Post by Brent »

1. A quality and appealing coach
2. Completely contained - Remembering a simpler time
3. The feeling of freedom

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”