water leaks

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

nebraska built 4 two

water leaks

Post by nebraska built 4 two »

Looking for some help on fixing some leaks that have developed on 1998 Built for Two.

I will (hopefully) attach some photos to illustrate the issue.

1. On passenger side I have water ending up on the carpeted floor of the cargo compartment if the nose of the coach is parked level or down. With a garden hose I couldn’t produce a leak on the cargo door surround, so it appears window or above. The awning “tube” ends about 9” from leading edge of window and dumps the roof run-off onto that front portion of window and cargo door. I fashioned a temporary gutter to divert but in a heavy rain , I still get water. I have had the bottom cushion get damp on the edge where it meets the wall under the window.
I was advised that the screws mounting the widow frame can cause this issue and to replace each with sealant. The screws under the plastic molding are rusted in that area. If we get a break in weather (10 days of rain forecast), I’ll plan to pull window and replace all screws during that process, maybe one by one if timing is an issue.

2. My other main issue is that the weep holes to the rear of the window can not drain the water quickly enough if it is a hard rain (and if the coach is parked with the nose up, to prevent/minimize leak number 1 described above.) I have pulled the weep hole covers and ran a copper wire under the plastic track that the screen and window slide on, and see little to no improvement.

The pictures hopefully illustrate that the front weep holes are open and you can see daylight,(from inside looking out), where the rear weep holes where this leak is occurring are covered by the outside edge of the plastic track, so that the only way water can exit is to “bleed” under and around the plastic track until it finds the weep hole.
The inside edge of the frame is low enough that water fills the frame channel and overflows into the coach. I can replace by pouring a small amount of water into the track with the window open and it barely drains, and would overflow very quickly.

The attached pics should illustrate:

-Picture of type of window.

-View from outside looking in showing plastic track covering weep hole and remaining water

-Front weep hole (view from the inside) where plastic track stops and daylight and weep hole can be seen (and if coach is parked dowhill) can handle water build up in track. Sorry for the dirt and dust, just got back from 2 week trip, and rain.

Thanks for any suggestions, If anyone knows brand of window, that may be helpful in trouble shooting.

All of you at the homecoming I hope weather breaks and you are enjoying yourself.

Dave
Attachments
front weep hole open with daylight
front weep hole open with daylight
front weep hole.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
view from outside with track full of water, weep hole covered by track at rear
view from outside with track full of water, weep hole covered by track at rear
track with water.jpg (72.56 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
Style of window
Style of window
window overview.jpg (98.74 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
1998 Built for Two, 21'
nebraska built 4 two

Re: water leaks

Post by nebraska built 4 two »

Did find logo etched on window , Hehr, tried to contact them, have left message.
1. attached is photo of etching, blown up to max trying to find model number.
2. also close up of bottom plastic channel (that is covering rear weep hole).

Dave
Attachments
window channel.jpg
window channel.jpg (94.83 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
hehr window id.jpg
hehr window id.jpg (133.75 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
1998 Built for Two, 21'
Roger H

Re: water leaks

Post by Roger H »

Dave, most frequently windows leak because the weep holes clog with dirt and debris, the track fills up and spills over to the inside of the coach and the water runs down the walls. I have a similar problem with the two upper vent windows I have in a '95 Coachman B-van. Keeping them clear seems to be problematic.

I'm not sure what to suggest with yours as you've already tried to clean the weep holes... obviously something has changed if the windows are just now beginning to leak.

You might try using a hose above the window with very low pressure with someone inside to watch what's happening.

Good luck and keep us posted. Leaks can be trying, to say the least.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”