Looking for creative way to mount Kayak

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tahoe

Looking for creative way to mount Kayak

Post by Tahoe »

Not a new subject, but new to me. Just purchased a 12.5 ft tandem kayak. Weight is 59 pounds, and although it will fit on the roof it's not something I relish doing. I personally think the commercially available RV kayak rack is outrageously priced, besides at 12.5 ft if I want to mount it vertical on the back it will be too high. So I think I'll try to mount it at an angle across the back, using the ladder as the top mounting point and coming up with a basket (made of soft straps or?)of sorts at the bottom, mounted to my fold down carrier. Pictures to follow if successful.

Any other suggestions? Need to have it done in the next 2 weeks but won't start until Monday. I need to repair and replace part of our back yard fence after a bear leaned on it. The posts were rotten anyway, so better get to work on it.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
stevek

Re: Looking for creative way to mount Kayak

Post by stevek »

Any pics of the bear? :lol: Good luck on fence.
Anyway will be interesting what you come up with.
Last edited by stevek on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

Here's a site with hitch mount rack: http://www.rvkayakracks.com/index.html

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Tom,

Unfortunately that won't work for us. The kayak is 12.5 ft long so must either mount at angle or go on top. Mounting verticle would just be too high. While I was working on the fence I came up with a concept for mounting diagonally, but it's not a slam dunk either, and requires some fabrication. This weekend I'll try the top mount first to see how difficult it is. I have some old Yakima cross bars that might mount to the factory rack (I hope).
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Well, got the kayak on top, but it isn't a realistic option. Too hard to get up and down and little confedence in the tie down. Did a trial to mount diagonally as well and I didn't like the results. Decided to keep and use on the Subaru because that is easy, and easier to go to local lakes. Looking into an Advanced Elements inflatable kayak for the BF because it would be easy to carry, set up and repack. No more time required than mounting and unmounting a hard kayak. Inflateables have come a long way, and although not perfect they work very well, and are easy to transport. Suited more for the casual recreational user.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Tahoe wrote: Inflateables have come a long way, and although not perfect they work very well, and are easy to transport. Suited more for the casual recreational user.
I have a Hobie inflatable kayak with the standard Mirage pedal drive and an optional sail kit, sailing rudder and turbo fins. A high quality kayak that is a joy to use. Hobie has both single person and tandem versions. I have the i12s single, you may want the i14T tandem. I carry mine on the BF bed, un-inflated, in the bag. Handles Delaware & Chesapeake Bay waters very well. People love to fish or take photos from them since your hands are usually free. My wife is fairly small, we both fit on the i12s, I pedal, she relaxes in the back. Pictures are not mine. i14T, i12s, i12s with sail

I have an Red 10.6 Ride inflatable stand up paddleboard too, it packs into a much smaller bag than the Hobie.
http://redpaddleco.com/usa/board/106%E2 ... dUEL31I6wc

[Image

Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Ed & Beth,

Thanks, looks like a nice one. I sold the kayak I bought for more than I paid for it, so I'm looking hard at all the Inflateables. I decided to wait and get the right one since it's I need two minor operations, but both will keep me off the water for a few months. I like the SUP idea as well. Sea Eagles look good as well.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

Tahoe wrote:Ed & Beth,
Sea Eagles look good as well.
I liked the Sea Eagle marketing and pricing, especially the Needlenose 14. After checking, I preferred the kayak and the paddleboard I bought, even though they were a bit more costly.
Red paddleboards, for 2015 has a great manual pump, best I've ever worked. Even if you buy something else, consider this two stage pump. If you have access to a compressor, their schrader valve inflation adapter is worthwhile too. Both work with the Hobie too. Surf Reston (VA) was my SUP dealer, recommended. http://www.surfreston.com/

I've windsurfed for 30 years, and thought I'd be an immediate ace on the paddleboard. Not so. I was used to having the sail to stabilize myself with. But it's not that hard either, just prepare to fall overboard. It will happen. Kneeling while learning helps.
The Hobie inflatable kayaks are exceptionally stable and easy to use. Pedaling is much easier than paddling. When I go out with someone in a regular kayak, when they get tired and need to stop, we will switch kayaks so they can rest up in the Hobie, yet still keep going, it's that easy.

Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
stevek

Post by stevek »

Another idea.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 6.09.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 6.09.00 PM.png (246.94 KiB) Viewed 20802 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

stevek wrote:Another idea.
That was my solution however my kayak was too long. We will buy an inflateable before next year which will solve the problem.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”