Route Through Mississippi

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Route Through Mississippi

Post by Brent »

Leaving in the morning for Dallas to see the new granddaughter.

The plan is to leave I-10 at Mobile, AL and take 98 to Hattiesburg and then 49 to I-20 at Jackson, MS.

Does anybody know of current road conditions about 98 and 49 (hoping I can do 60-65 consistently if smooth roads).

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Dallas Baillio

Re: Route Through Mississippi

Post by Dallas Baillio »

There are two routes. The one you mention and an alternative through Baton Rouge. The Mobile-Hattiesburg-Jackson-Momroe-Shreveport-Dallas route works well. Except for approximately 15 miles between Mobile and the Mississippi line it is all four lane divided US highway from Mobile to Jackson. At Hattiesburg you should take I-59 as a bypass and avoid the city congestion. Both 98 and 49 pass through several small cities. Speed limits are 65 on each road and you can most likely average 60 mph driving the speed limit without stops. The roads are fine. I am not aware of any construction.

The alternative is to continue on I-10 through Baton Rouge to Lafayette. There you turn North on I-49 to Shreveport and then I-20 on to Dallas. I-49 is a less traveled Interstate and a pleasant drive. The downside is driving through Baton Rouge. I-10 has always been a heavily traveled route and around Baton Rouge even more so. After Hurricane Katrina Baton Rouge absorbed transplants from New Orleans and elsewhere in South Louisiana adding additional congestion. Except for this bottleneck this route may be faster. I am not aware of construction along this route but some may be underway around Baton Rouge.

I've driven both routes many, many times. I don't have a preference. They are almost of equal distance.

I am a Louisiana native and love my home state. If you take the LA route tune your radio as you pass through Lafayette to hear some great Cajun and Zydeco music :D. Food is good too!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”