Born Free on Tatooine...

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger H

Born Free on Tatooine...

Post by Roger H »

The Millennium Falcon pursuing Jabba the Hut's sand barge on Tatooine... (ok maybe not...)

Ok, what it really is a shot of my 32RQ at Sand Mountain in Nevada. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Mountain_(Nevada) But it sure sounded good! :lol:

Jabba's sand barge was actually built in the sand dunes of Buttercup in Imperial County, CA c.1981. I found it quite by accident out there because they left it for some time after the completion of the movie. This shot isn't mine, but somewhere I've got some photos of the actual sand barge from that trip.
Attachments
20150825-DSCF8732-Edit (Custom).jpg
20150825-DSCF8732-Edit (Custom).jpg (71.07 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Jabba's sail barge (Custom).jpg
Jabba's sail barge (Custom).jpg (59.2 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
jeleuen

Re: Born Free on Tatooine...

Post by jeleuen »

How did you not get stuck in the sand?
The more the government provides, the more it is our Master.
Roger H

Re: Born Free on Tatooine...

Post by Roger H »

I have some mighty fine drive tires! I bought drive tires with an all-terrain tread rather than putting steering tires on all six wheels. I'm very pleased with the traction that they've provided in a variety of circumstances so far.

They were actually the least expensive tires i could find. They're Hercules branded 225/70r19.5s, a Chinese tire distributed by Cooper. I am leery of Chinese tires in general, but my local tire shop has sold them for some time now, and their experience with them has been good. They were about $200/tire, about $100/tire less than any of the other major branded tires. I thought a $600 savings was pretty significant. We'll see if it was false economy as they age. I probably wouldn't have bought them for a car, but I replace motorhome and trailer tires about every five years regardless of tread wear. So far, with about 7,000 miles on them, I've been pleased with their performance and handling. We'll see how they do over the next four years' use.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”