Born Free won't start

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bonnie McDowell

Re: Born Free won't start

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

My friend had me turn the key, but not far enough to crank the engine, while he put his ear up to the gas tank (he didn't crawl underneath). He said there was no sound of the fuel pump kicking on. The next time he comes over I will have him check the fuse and relay, as others have suggested. Then I will call CoachNet. Does the BF have to be towed on a flatbed?
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012
whemme

Post by whemme »

Bonnie,

A tow truck will tow your Born Free by picking up the front end in a cradle and towing it that way.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
David and Susan Bratt

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

Our BF was towed both ways - on a flat bed and with the front wheels up. If it is on a flat bed watch out for those low overpasses.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

My 29000 mile old fuel pump recently failed. The pump was entirely fine, then failed totally. I put some gas into the intake just downstream from the air filter using a big syringe. The engine would catch for a few seconds, ruling out everything but the fuel pump. It was suggested to crawl under and beat on the tank a bit, and sometimes the fuel pump will reawaken. Do it with the key on so you can hear the fuel pump start. If it does drive to the repair shop without shutting the engine off. If you are towed with the rear wheels on the ground, disconnect the drive shaft to save the transmission. $1000 or so at the Ford dealer using a Ford pump, of course a Ford pump is what failed. In tank fuel pump failure seems to be a common Ford problem.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

Our Ford conversion van was doing the same thing and $600 later we had a new fuel pump.. I'm behind reading posts so may be to late..
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle
Bonnie McDowell

Just to update - I haven't had time to call Coach Net and have them come out. Maybe this week. If it needs to be towed, do you chose where, or does Coach Net?
Bonnie McDowell
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Bonnie McDowell wrote:Just to update - I haven't had time to call Coach Net and have them come out. Maybe this week. If it needs to be towed, do you chose where, or does Coach Net?
It's your moho Bonnie. Tell them to take it to the mechanic of YOUR choice. I'm sure they'll have a towing limit, and if your mechanic is outside that distance, you'll have to pay the additional mileage fees though.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Bonnie McDowell

Harvey is named for the large white rabbit in the Jimmy Stewart movie. As noted by Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey is a pooka." A pooka is a benign but mischievous creature. My Harvey is aptly named.
Harvey was towed to the garage at the beginning of June, by a huge tow truck (big enough for an tractor from an 18 wheeler - I was worried they weren't going to be able to make the turn out of my driveway, but they did). The Ford chassis mechanic then was on vacation for a week, and returned Monday. The garage called to ask what Harvey did when he wouldn't start -- did he act like the battery was low, or did he crank and just not turn over, or did he make any unusual noise. I said no unusual noise, adn explained the whole cranked, but wouldn't turn over, the attempt to charge up the battery in case it was low (it wasn't) and the listening for the fuel pump (no sound). He said "well, we went out and turned the key and he started right up. I told him about the suggestion here to bang on Harvey to see whether I could get the fuel pump to work (which I didn't try), and they said they didn't bang on him, they just turned the key. But, says I, he was towed for 20 miles, so maybe it had the same effect.
Ah, the joys of owning a mischievous pooka...
Bonnie McDowell
whemme

Post by whemme »

Bonnie,

I am puzzled by your statement 'the whole cranked, but wouldn't turn over'. If the engine cranked when trying to start it, then it did turn over. So what did it actually do, did it turn over or not?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Bonnie McDowell

I don't know what the terminology is for cars. I turned the key, it sounded just like it normally does, except it wouldn't start.
Bonnie McDowell
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Bonnie, it sounds like "Harvey" is aptly named. Intermittent problems are the worst! At least you know that the fuel pump works... for now.

So here's a little glossary for you that will help you talk to your mechanic:

When the battery is low, the starter solenoid makes a clicking sound, but the starter doesn't spin or engage the flywheel on the back of the engine, and the engine doesn't "turn over."

When the battery is fine, the engine "cranks" and/or "turns over" (the normal starting sounds.) How fast it "turns over" is indicative of battery condition, and will get slower as the battery runs down. The engine not starting (although it "turns over") could be indicative of either an electrical problem (no spark) or a fuel delivery problem. Or perhaps in your case an electrical issue is causing a fuel delivery issue.

Your mechanic is correct... the tow truck ride could have had the same effect as banging on the tank. Or it could have jostled the wiring enough that if it's got an intermittent "open" to the fuel pump it caused it to "close" and work properly, whether it's a cracked or broken wire or a corroded terminal somewhere.

The bottom line is that you'll just have to drive it until it stops again... it may be fine for years, there's just no way to know what happened for sure until it exhibits that behavior regularly, and on demand.

Good luck!
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

The Ford fuel pump is a known weak point. I'd replace it now, before it strands you somewhere less convenient. It has given you notice, ignore at your own peril. Don't refuel the gas tank, and drive it to the repair shop while it is running.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”