spare tire

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

Bumper space in BFT

Post by bill crommett »

I also would not like to give up any bumper storage space, because this is used for storing my sewer connections and sewer water hose.
Because of the center space being used for for the rear step, the Dodgen people in thier wisdom installed a single sewer hose compartment to hold a whole long five foot piece of sewer hose. This would be OK if you can get close enough to a sewer access, but that is not always possible, so I bought another identical sewer compartment from Camping World and installed it on the comparable position on the right side behind the bumper (that's infront of ) Now I carry 5 ft. in one side and 5 ft. in the other side with ordinary connectors to join the two sections.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Good idea Bill Crommett. Did you need any special brackets to install the 2nd hose holder? Where did you purchase the parts (holder and bracket)?

Thanks, Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
BOB& KATHY GELLER

Post by BOB& KATHY GELLER »

IWOULD LIKE TO ADD A SHORT NOTE TO ALL THE OTHER GREAT IDEAS ON SPARE TIRES. MONTHS AGO I TRIED TO GIVE A SUMMARY OF 4-5 WAYS WE SAW SPARE TIRES CARRIED ON BF'S ON LAST YEARS MARITIME CARAVAN. FIRST OF ALL LET IT BE STATED THAT IF YOU ARE LUCKY YOU'LL NEVER NEED YOUR SPARE. SECOND IT IS MORE THAN LIKELY THAT YOU WILL NOT BE CHANGING YOUR OWN TIRE. I BOUGHT A RIM AND TIRE IN 2005(FORD DEALER ABOUT $300),WE WENT ON THE CARAVAN WITH THE WHEEL STORED UNDER THE COUCH. THIS WORKED OK BUT REDUCED OUR STORAGE TO THE POINT THAT WE HAD TO USE THE SHOWER FOR SUCH ITEMS AS CHAIRS IN A BAG ETC. I DON'T LIKE STORING THINGS IN THE SHOWER SO FOR ME THIS WAS A NEGATIVE. ALTHOUGH WE WRAPPED THE TIRE IN HEAVY PLASTIC IT STILL STAINED THE RUG, BUT AS PEOPLE HAVE NOTED IT FIT WELL AND WAS ACCESSIBLE. SO WE LOOKED FOR ANOTHER SOLUTION. WE HAVE A JEEP TOAD AND I DON'T LIKE CLUTTER AROUND THE HITCH SO A CENTRAL HITCH BASED CARRIER WAS NOT RIGHT FOR ME. I ALSO REJECTED ROOF TOP, ALTHOUGH OUT OF THE WAYAND EVEN THOUGH SOMEBODY ELSE IS GOING TO CHANGE THE TIRE THE PROBLEMS WITH GETTING IT UP AND DOWN SEEM FORMIDABLE(NOTE ROPE PULLEY IN OTHER REPLY)BE AWARE WE HAVE A 26 REAR BATH CASUAL ELEGANCE. OFF TO THE RV BODY MAN'S SHOP. HE INSTALLED ON THE BUMPER FRAME BOLTS A STROMBERG CARLSON PRODUCTS INC. FVX-9310 FOLD DOWN TIRE CARRIER ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE REAR BUMPER. WORKS FINE BUT SOMEWHAT BLOCKS THE TOAD LIGHT/BRAKE CORD. WE HAD TO PUT IT ON THIS SIDE BECAUSE THE HEAT FROM THE WATER HEATER WOULD HAVE BEEN POTENTIALLY DAMAGING TO THE TIRE ITSELF. WE ACTUALLY MEASURED THE TEMP IN THIS REGION; WITH EVERYTHING INSTALLED, MY 240 POUNDS, DOG'S 85 POUNDS, AND KATHY'S SIM FRAME, AND GEAR LOADED, OFF TO FLYING J WE WENT TO AT LEAST GET A FRONTAND REAR AXLE WEIGHT. AS WE EXPECTED THE REAR WAS CLOSE BUT STILL 500POUNDS BELOW MAX. OFF TO ROCKY MT. NATIONAL WE WENT. 5000MILESLATER ALL IS WELL.
Willie

Sewer Hose Holder BFT

Post by Willie »

Bill ~ I too have installed an additional sewer hose holder on my BFT. Camping World sells three sizes but only the shortest (26 in.) will fit behind the right bumper of the BFT because the trailer hitch gets in the way. It is necessary to make angle brackets to mount it similar to the ones BF used. I made mine with identicle size aluminum stock bought at the hardware store and it was very easy to cut and bend. However, I believe that (without measuring) I have 10 ft hoses (not 5 ft) in each tube. Since installation I have never had need for the second hose as I have always (so far) been able to get within 10 ft of the dump and so am now thinking of usng it to store my small outdoor rug.
~ Bill ~
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

First of all, let me say that I am both amazed and pleased at the amount of chatter this subject has created. From this chatter have come some very good points. Please let me address some of those.

The idea of pivoting the spare tire carrier down into a horizontal position for better access to the bumper storage compartment and to allow a fully opened rear door has been considered. However, I believe to provide that feature would compromise rigidity, simplicity and cost. In addition, with the spare tire lowered to that horizontal position, it would become an undesireable obstacle to maneuver around. Anne and I lived for 3 months this summer in our BFT with this spare tire carrier and the limitation of the rear door to open 110 degrees as opposed to 180 degrees was not even a minor annoyance or problem.

Regarding the restricted opening of the rear bumper storage bin, I agree it could be a nuisance, however, the way I use it, it is not. I store in there a 6 ton bottle jack and other items I will want in the event of a flat tire. In that case I will remove the spare tire and then have full access to that bin. I too, used to store the 30 amp power cord in that bin but now store it, along with my fresh water hose, in a 5 gallon paint pail which I cut down to a height of 10 inches. Both of those items coil up and fit very nicely in the pail along with some adapters etc. This pail I then place in the rear curb side storage compartment.

I am hoping I will have pricing and a schedule by the end of this week.

On one other item, I also installed the additional sewer hose as described by Bill and Bill. I never had to use the spare hose but it was comforting to have it.

Thanks,
Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
BornFree_n_Now

Less Expensive Source for Spare Wheels

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

For what it is worth, I recently purchased (via the mail), a wheel for a spare from Wheels Express, Inc. in Rush Springs, OK (800-877-2531). I was charged $85 plus shipping (normally $20). I found the Company to be fair, and the price sure beat what the dealership wanted to charge ~~ no affiliation, etc.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
olscow

Post by olscow »

When we got our new-to-us BF24RB it had a spare mounted from the hitch receiver, but we needed to tow our Miata. Rather than put the heavy spare on the roof, I had the tire dismounted and put it on the roof. Sure enough, we had a blowout, but it was no problem to have the road service people mount my spare on the blown tire's rim. That way I could go to the dealer of my choice next day for a new replacement tire. It's no problem at all to swing an unmounted tire onto the roof and anchor it with bungees.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”