Alignment? Tire balance?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jeffcarp

Alignment? Tire balance?

Post by jeffcarp »

Our 2011 Ford E350 coach has a vibration of sorts at freeway speeds even on good road surfaces. This is not a wondering issue or even a bad enough vibration that the passengers notice. However there is a repetitive vibration in the steering wheel (maybe 1/2" total?) and my smartphone that is mounted to a cup holder mount in the center console continuously shakes. We've got 20,000 miles on the coach and I did replace all of the tires under the Michelin recall. Any thoughts of what I have going on?
2011 Born Free 22' Rear Side Kitchen
whemme

Re: Alignment? Tire balance?

Post by whemme »

Did this vibration occur only after replacing the Michelin LTX tires? If so, did the shop balance those new tires when they were installed? If so they may have done a poor balance job and you need to have the balance rechecked.

I also recommend you choose a shop that uses a Hunter balance machine.
Last edited by whemme on Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I've always been told that if there is a vibration in the steering wheel, then there is a rear tire out of balance. Was also told that it is a good idea to have new tires re-balanced after the first 500-1,000 miles, even though they were balanced at the time of replacement.

As Bill above suggests, get all of your tires re-balanced.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

It sounds like a tire balance problem.

Check the tires for abnormal wear that would cause a balance problem. The root of the problem could be with the alignment –too much toe is a common problem that wears the inside edges of the tires. If the tire tread shows signs of cupping with uneven high and low spots, you might have weak front shocks.
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
whemme

Post by whemme »

As Chuck above suggests, carefully check the inside edges of your front tires for cupping. Cupping can sometimes cause a buzz feeling in your steering wheel. Once cupping starts it is almost impossible to stop it even with correcting the alignment issues that originally caused it to start.

Front tire cupping seems to be a frequent issue with the twin I-beam front suspension system used on the Ford E350/E450 chassis if front alignment is not kept with specs and/or worn front end shocks.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

I'm a great believer in having the tires balanced and rotated on 4-wheel vehicles every 5,000 miles. It gives the tire guys an opportunity to inspect the tread and catch early signs of alignment and/or shock issues and it extends the service life of the tires.

That said, on my motorhome I have specific steering tires on the front and traction tires on the rear duals which are not rotated. I also had balancing powder installed when the tires were mounted. That stuff can be a real asset when installed properly in the right quantity. My tires are 19.5s, but the stuff works great on 16s as well, particularly in dual tire setups.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”