Mindless thoughts on a Newell 43' bus and my Born Free 32RQ

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger H

Mindless thoughts on a Newell 43' bus and my Born Free 32RQ

Post by Roger H »

So... as retirement... (yes, REAL retirement) creeps up, Laurie and I have been talking about how best to do it, giving free reign to our wildest imaginations. We've talked about getting a boat and being live-aboards for the winter in the Sacramento River Delta, the San Francisco Bay, or somewhere down south; Florida or something. Or we've talked about buying a Hake Seaward 32 RK http://www.seawardyachts.com/32rk/ and making the Great Loop https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop around the US. We've talked about getting a big coach and traveling... all kinds of brilliant ideas have popped up.

We haven't gotten any further than being imaginative yet... but in researching the big coaches, I was SHOCKED at how much some of those things, the Prevost Marathons, Prevost Country Coaches, and the Newell Coaches actually cost. When I was on the way home from Portland last year with my Born Free 32RQ, I drove past the Marathon Prevost factory in Oregon and daydreamed about those coaches in the showroom parking lot. I've recently found that a new Newell can set you back as much as $2.3 million!!! Most new ones are over $1 million, with the average late-model used coach going from $500k to $800k! And, unfortunately, most of them are furnished and decorated like Victorian French whorehouses, with all kinds of "amenities" that are gaudy, stuff that no one really needs, and have GOT to be maintenance nightmares!

HOWEVER, I found a '91 Newell with 130k miles on it and a 500hp Detroit Diesel on RV Trader with an asking price of $49k!

ImageNewell 1991 43 foot bus by Roger H, on Flickr

So just for fun, I emailed the place that has it for sale, and it's actually a yacht sales in Tennessee. The salesman called me back yesterday, and we chatted about it for quite a while. It's actually been donated to a charity, and consigned to them for reconditioning and sale. He thinks that $44k would probably buy it. Now, $2.3m is a little out of my price range, but I could probably do $44k... even though it's on a 25 year old coach! He tells me he'd be happy to do a Facetime video conference walk-through on the coach for me.

But it's a LOOOONG stretch to go from my first 1100 lb 1978 Scamp 13 that I towed with a new 1981 Jeep Scrambler

ImageMy 1981 Jeep Scrambler and 1976 Scamp travel trailer by Roger H, on Flickr

to a 43' Newell motorcoach with a GVWR of 48,000 lbs! The Newell has six 11r24.5 tires on the rear axles alone... replacing all eight tires at $700/tire is something north of $5,000! And I have NO idea how I'd ever get a 43' coach in my driveway... EVER!

From the perspective of sheer practicality and the way we're traveling now, my Born Free 32RQ remains my dream coach for the forseeable future... The extra living room in a 43' coach would be nice for full-timing six months out of the year, but I keep thinking about what a friend with a Prevost Marathon told me about ten years ago when we were meeting him in the Black Hills. He found the drive VERY stressful once he got off the superslab because once he got onto the two lane highways, didn't know if he was going to get the Prevost up the switchbacks on the way to Rapid City because of it's length. He said it was a frightening drive for him.

Image20150825-DSCF8732-Edit (Large) by Roger H, on Flickr

My Born Free's curb weight is less than a third of that of a Newell or Prevost. The new Newell coaches have a GVWR of 63,000 lbs! Eek! My Born Free 32RQ is easy to drive and maneuver, and fits in my driveway and on the RV pad beside my house. Honestly, the only amenity that might be important to me that the Newell has that the Born Free lacks is the washer and dryer, and I've just not found that to be a problem. My Born Free is easy to maintain, and I replaced all six tires on it last year for about $800... a far cry from $5,000!!! I'd hate to think what ANY maintenance on a twenty-five year old 500hp Detroit Diesel would cost! And the Newell has a LOT more real-estate that needs to be washed and waxed.

But... window shopping is sure fun.

Ahhh... pipe dreams... :lol:
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Mindless thoughts on a Newell 43' bus and my Born Free 3

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

My perception of owning a Prevost was being tethered to a life with the semis and big rigs, interstate highways and RV 'resorts'. It's like with the Born Free I put up with that until I get to where I'm going (i.e., family, friends, wilderness) but in a big rig it's your destination. Just my $.02. -Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

Hey Roger
Enjoyed reading your thought process on talking yourself into a Newell coach and then out of it, in a few short paragraphs.
My question though is what kind of tires you bought for your coach that cost $ 800.00? I bought 6 michelins through the FMCA tire program and paid about 3 times that.
thanks
John
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Mike & Jean Bandfield wrote:My perception of owning a Prevost was being tethered to a life with the semis and big rigs, interstate highways and RV 'resorts'. It's like with the Born Free I put up with that until I get to where I'm going (i.e., family, friends, wilderness) but in a big rig it's your destination. Just my $.02. -Mike
Yes, Mike... That's exactly how I'm seeing the Newell as well. And I go into lots of "small" places with my Born Free that the Newell just can't go. I had a 34' Airstream tri-axle trailer that I towed with a Ford Excursion, and there are places here where I had to make three left turns to make a right because the streets just aren't wide enough for that. I'd imagine I'd be in the same boat with the Newell.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

jjhepkin wrote:Hey Roger
Enjoyed reading your thought process on talking yourself into a Newell coach and then out of it, in a few short paragraphs.
My question though is what kind of tires you bought for your coach that cost $ 800.00? I bought 6 michelins through the FMCA tire program and paid about 3 times that.
thanks
John
Thanks, John. It's been an interesting 'logic' exersize. As I said, if I were ready to move into it and stay in a resort for a month or two at a time, I think I could do the Newell. But that's just not how we travel.

The tires? I cheaped out and bought Chinese Coopers: Hurcules tires. Here's my logic there... First my tire guys have sold a LOT of them for medium duty trucks without any failures, so that was encouraging. I trust my tire guys as they're also my mechanics. I've known them both for almost 15 years and they do all my mechanical work.

I also replace my tires every five years regardless of mileage... So I'm betting that the Hercules tires will make it five years without a failure. And since I replace them every five years regardless, do I replace $400 Michelins, or $150 Hercules again?

And I have to admit that with two seasons and 8,000 miles on them, so far I'm really pleased with them. I have drive tires on the duals and steering tires on the front axle. They ride well, handle well, and so far are holding up very well.

So, there you go... ;)
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

Makes sense to me.
Wish I had known about them, before I sprang for the Michelins.
The original tires also Michelins, had real bad sidewall cracking after 7 years so I was afraid to go any longer.
If and when I need to replace these, I will look into those.
That is a big big difference in cost.
Thanks
John
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

jjhepkin wrote:Makes sense to me.
Wish I had known about them, before I sprang for the Michelins.
The original tires also Michelins, had real bad sidewall cracking after 7 years so I was afraid to go any longer.
If and when I need to replace these, I will look into those.
That is a big big difference in cost.
Thanks
John
I can't tell you how the Hercules tires are in 16s, John. My only experience with them is in the 22.5s. I did some research online and they've got a checkered reputation in their car tires... I won't usually buy Chinese tires because most of them have pretty sloppy quality control unless they're branded by a major manufacturer who oversees their quality control. I was skeptical of them, but as I said, you've gotta trust somebody, and I trust my mechanics/tire guys... So I took the chance. So far, so good. I'll have a better idea of what I think of them in another three years I guess.

Roger
Last edited by Roger H on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

This may be a little late to get into this thread, but do you have any pictures of "Victorian French Whorehouses"? Never having been in one I am at a loss on visualizing the layout.
Jim
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

I did a bit of googling for Victorian French brothel and found this. Yup, I have seen a few large class A units decorated a little like this.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (175.22 KiB) Viewed 13800 times
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Jim Hofmann wrote:This may be a little late to get into this thread, but do you have any pictures of "Victorian French Whorehouses"? Never having been in one I am at a loss on visualizing the layout.
Jim
I'm curious Jim, Roger posted that 2 days ago. Have you been thinking about this since then? :? Maybe a trip to New Orleans could give both you guys some perspective on Roger's dilemma :idea:
-Mike
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Jim Hofmann wrote:This may be a little late to get into this thread, but do you have any pictures of "Victorian French Whorehouses"? Never having been in one I am at a loss on visualizing the layout.
Jim
I'm sorry, Jim... I was perhaps... indelicate there, and my apologies. However, this is apparently an accurate image of a Belle Epoch French bordello and an approximation of the type of motorhome furnishings I was describing (which I realize I was painting with a very wide brush:)

And... a Marathon Prevost... apparently a direct descendant of the decorator's lineage of the bordello above?

Jim Hofmann

Post by Jim Hofmann »

WOW, I never realized what I had missed in my youth.

Jim
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Jim Hofmann wrote:WOW, I never realized what I had missed in my youth.

Jim
I hope, Jim, that we've been able to expand your horizons. We're a pretty worldly bunch here. :lol:

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”