When only a 20 Amp plug is available, what can I run?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger H

Re: When only a 20 Amp plug is available, what can I run?

Post by Roger H »

stevek wrote: Whats happens anyway when you have low voltage? What damage can it due to AC?
This is an educational read, Steve.

http://www.checkyourvoltage.org
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Roger. That was a good read.
And thanks to everyone else for all the input.
All this electrical stuff... a little over my head. Trying to keep everything simple as possible.
Regarding the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C recommended by randallrae.
Looks like the meter reads in error codes as follows, regarding low/ high electrical.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 7.54.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 7.54.12 AM.png (44.99 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Steve,
I tend to be like the clockmaker who you ask for the time and he tells you how the clock works. Roger's link helped me find another that explains more about motors in bites that can be digested in increments for the engineers and RV owners. http://m.ecmweb.com/content/how-save-yo ... g-brownout You can often hear when you AC is not getting enough voltage. It will hum loudly and be slow to start. When it is humming there is a dead short across the motor windings; and while that short exists the wires are building up lots of heat. If the motor doesn't move in a couple of seconds it will burn up. Every time I hear this sound I catch my breath and get anxious. For purely resistve loads like light bulbs low voltage is not a problem. Often, low voltage is accompanied with surges. And surges are dangerous for your electronic devices - think lightening - but on a smaller scale.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”