Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club

This forum is for Born Free Owners and those interested in owning a Born Free.
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:39 pm 

This is a scan of the unusually detailed road test of the 1981 Born Free 24' Rear Bath President DUAL FUEL Model. I was excited to find this in my documentation searches because my 1982 Born Free 24" RB Model is exactly the same! That is, it is a factory equipped LPG and gasoline model. When I first purchased the unit from the second owner last year (!) it was in superb condition but the LPG system had been removed from the engine and it was operating on gasoline only. I am in the process of restoring the dual fuel system with more modern technology than that which was available at the time. Interestingly, the current staff at the Born Free Factory (Kim) had no knowledge of this unit or the BF installed Dual Fuel components. I have since established that the E350 chassis as built by Ford was delivered to Born Free as a gasoline only cutaway model. I'm still searching for any information about the original LPG/Gasoline system installed by Born Free!

Attachments:
Trailer Life LPG-Gasoline 24' RB President.pdf [1.62 MiB]
Downloaded 652 times

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:23 am 

Hi, I just came across this old post. I'm curious what your experiences have been with the 1982. Do you still have it? I have a 1983 24' President with the gasoline/propane option also. It's been off the road for awhile but am interested in using it again. It's hard to find information about the conversion. Thanks for the article. I'd be interested in chatting with anyone with a Born Free of this era.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:28 am 

Michael,

I definitely still have 1982 Born Free and continue to make a number of improvements and upgrades both to the Motorhome and to the Powertrain. I have been very disappointed to find virtually no interest on the part of the Born Free Community here in any issues, questions or comments about older units. I believe the membership has concluded that a pre1995 coach is a vintage machine. Two years ago, I lost the original engine when a Nevada Emissions Tech, doing a smog test, dropped a nut holding the air cleaner assembly into the carburetor throat without telling me. I drove several miles from the test station before the engine seized. I replaced the engine with a remanufactured unit with a 2000-2600 rpm towing camshaft and springs. I retimed the timing gear, updated the distributor, intake manifold, carburetor, fuel system and added headers. After some research, I am preparing to return to a dual fuel configuration using the OHG X450 mixer and an X-1 Converter. I have the DualCurve Dual Fuel Ignition Module and a number of other enhancements in hand awaiting the end of the camping season.

I have also been able to put together the original 1982 Born Free Owners Manual which appears to cover the models built from 1/1981 to 12/1987, but despite repeated posting attempts, I cannot get the moderator to add the post and pdf to this folder.

I have two immediate questions for you! What mixer was used on your Born Free and do you have any of the original documentation? Looking forward to generating a dialog with you, either through this group or privately.

Frank Grunthaner

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]