New 1999 Owner with questions...

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

zcardave

New 1999 Owner with questions...

Post by zcardave »

1st time motorhome owner of a 1999 Born Free President. :mrgreen:
Been finding and fixing aaaalllll kind of "issues"...some are a challenge...some are just a pain. Have discovered that my RV has been involved in an accident...from the rear bumper to the total side-door replacement. Repairs are excellent, except I have no power to the interior top-most light next to my Fantastic Fan. The three light switches by the door...one for the footwell...one for the porch light & handle...the other one...???. So I'm assuming this switch went to that light? Does anyone know if that wire ran from the switch through the rocker panel/base/bottom of the door assembly, then up the first roll bar to that light assembly? Would really like to trace this out and fix the problem...but hate to do so blindly :(

Second question: The exterior compartment behind the cab passenger-side door...the interior of the compartment is finished/gel-coated...unlike any of my other exterior compartments. It even has a different style gasket. Just curious...but why is this compartment different?...and what is the purpose of this? Was this possibly installed post-wreck? I didn't think the damage went that far forward.

Thanks for your consideration and help....and MERRY CHRISTMAS !
David
David, Anne & Dimey (19yr. old Papillion)
1999 26' Born Free SB
1999 Mazda Miata Toad
Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar
shilohdad

Re: New 1999 Owner with questions...

Post by shilohdad »

Not having your exact model (our original was a 2006 24' Rear Bath, now have 2017 Spirit), I may have an idea for the overhead light. On our 2006, there was a switch next to the bed, on the wall where our refrigerator and pantry were, that is used to control that light since it's a long reach up to the light. Scrounge around in the living area of your coach to see if it has a similar switch.

As for the gel-coated compartment, Born Free seems to keep changing around what they do and don't have gel coats on. The idea is to use those compartments for wet or icky storage. Our old 2006 had only one in the rear. The new Spirit has 3. Also, our gel-coated compartments have no access from the inside. Yours will probably be the same.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
zcardave

Post by zcardave »

ShilohDad,
thanks for the info.
I have the 26' President Model w/rear bdrm.
There are no additional switches that I can find...and I AND my Girlfriend have looked pretty extensively.
The more I think about it, the more sense that it makes that my mystery switch and the dead light belong together...I just hate aimlessly pulling up carpet, hoping to find what I'm looking for :wink:

The gel-coated compartment makes sense. I have been known to pick up some icky stuff. :lol: So it may come in handy !
Thanks again for your input !!!
David

p.s.- my Girlfriend has "Diamond"...Dimey is her 19yr. old Papillion. He's Black/White and pretty much deaf and mostly blind, but he still makes a pretty good traveling companion and a GREAT lap-warmer !
1999 26' Born Free SB
1999 Mazda Miata Toad
Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar
whemme

Post by whemme »

David,

That third switch near the entry door is for the ceiling light just forward of the Fantastic fan as you suspect. Have you opened up that light fixture to make sure you are getting +12 vdc power to it with that switch on? If so and it will not illuminate then I would expect the fixture ballast to be defective. If there is not power to it then you will have to trace the wiring from the switch to the fixture to see why it is open. I don't know how the wire connection is run the the coach.

The gel-coated compartment on the front right side of the coach is normal. I keep things like 2 gallons of pink RV antifreeze and a gallon of windshield washer fluid in that compartment.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
zcardave

Post by zcardave »

Bill,
thanks for your input. I know for a FACT that there is no power going to the light fixture. I could not find my voltmeter, so, with the switch on, I "manned-up" and grabbed the wires. My hair didn't ignite, so I think it's safe to say that there was no power :lol: As soon as I get inspired, that's a job I'll tackle.

Glad to hear that the gel-coated compartment isn't an aftermarket item...and looks like it can come in handy.
Thanks for your help,
David
1999 26' Born Free SB
1999 Mazda Miata Toad
Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I really suggest testing for voltage with a good meter , before tearing up your coach .
2012 25' rb
zcardave

Post by zcardave »

Where's the fun in that?....I'm kidding of course.
You are correct. I'll be checking things over before I dive-off into this job.
Thanks for the input.
David
1999 26' Born Free SB
1999 Mazda Miata Toad
Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

zcardave wrote:I could not find my voltmeter, so, with the switch on, I "manned-up" and grabbed the wires. My hair didn't ignite, so I think it's safe to say that there was no power
All the lights are 12 volt DC so there is no way your hair would ignite. Unless you are real sensitive to voltage, you won't feel anything. Measure with a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light.
Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
whemme

Post by whemme »

zcardave wrote:Bill,
thanks for your input. I know for a FACT that there is no power going to the light fixture. I could not find my voltmeter, so, with the switch on, I "manned-up" and grabbed the wires. My hair didn't ignite, so I think it's safe to say that there was no power :lol: As soon as I get inspired, that's a job I'll tackle.

Glad to hear that the gel-coated compartment isn't an aftermarket item...and looks like it can come in handy.
Thanks for your help,
David
Don't be too sure that 12 vdc power is not at the wires coming into the fixture. You most likely will not be able to feel a voltage that low - recommend you use an actual voltmeter to be sure.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
whemme

Post by whemme »

David,

Did you ever solve your front overhead light problem?
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
zcardave

Post by zcardave »

Thanks for the follow-up Bill.
Typical of me...I've capped off the overhead fixture and am basically ignoring the problem until another time.
Right now, my new favorite topic has shifted to flushing the water system (which I don't think has ever been done). Is there a low-point drain for the water tank? I've been bleaching/filling, pumping and draining the gray water tank, but figure there's got to be a better way !
I've crawled around under there and haven't found one...but you know how that can go sometimes...right there in front of you and you can't see it :-( .
1999 26' Born Free SB
1999 Mazda Miata Toad
Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar
whemme

Post by whemme »

David,

My 2002 BF 26' RSB coach has a total of 5 water system drain valves located in two locations on the floor of the coach. 4 of the drain valves are for the purpose of pumping pink anti-freeze thru out the water system. Two are located on the floor in front of the 6-gallon water heater - one in the cold water line and one in the hot water line. Two more are located on the floor under the kitchen sink area. Again one in the cold water line and one in the hot water line. The 5th floor drain is for draining the fresh water tank and is also located on the floor under the kitchen sink area somewhat close to the other two floor drains.

Did you ever use a voltmeter to measure the voltage across the two wires going to the ballast in on the front ceiling lamp assembly? If there is voltage there with the switch on the lamp assembly on and the switch for it near the walk-in door also on but the lamps will not illuminate with new lamps installed, then the ballast is mostly like bad and the whole lamp assembly should be replaced. They are not too expensive to purchase.
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
zcardave

Post by zcardave »

Thanks for the info Bill !

So THAT'S what all those little brass valves are !!!
I was looking for something a little more "substantial" in size.
Like I said - they were right in front of me :shock:

No...I never did check my light issue. I pulled down my handy-dandy voltmeter and the battery had puked all inside the meter...and while I know they're not that expensive, I just haven't thought to pick another one up yet.

Thanks again for your help !!! :D
1999 26' Born Free SB
1999 Mazda Miata Toad
Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar
whemme

Post by whemme »

One one brass valve that drains the fresh water tank is a pretty slow process especially if the tank is full of water. A quicker way to drain the tank is to use the water pump to transfer the water in that tank to either the gray or black water tanks and then use the dump valves to dump those tanks. Run the pump until it quits pumping water.

Are you in a location were it freezes and you need to winterize your Born Free? If so, do you know the winterization process?
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
zcardave

Post by zcardave »

Using the water pump is the method that I have been using. I just thought there would be a somewhat larger drain than those little-bitty brass valves.

I live down on the Gulf Coast of Texas...so freezing is a rarity (although we did have one day of freezing weather a few weeks ago)...so winterizing is not in my vocabulary :wink: ...but thanks for the offer ! :)
1999 26' Born Free SB
1999 Mazda Miata Toad
Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”