Should I have an Inverter

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Should I have an Inverter

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I am considering having an inverter installed on my BF. I do a lot of dry camping without an electrical hookup and thought an inverter might be helpful. On reflexion, since you cannot operate the microwave or air conditioner with an inverter I cannot come up with many uses to sell me on the cost of an inverter. If I have to use the generator for the micro and a/c what exactly do I gain? I have a 12 volt TV and don't have satellite capability. I have a standard coffee pot that I use with water heated on the stove. I am so used to doing without 120 volts that I am at a loss to justify an inverter.

Help me out. What am I missing?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
John S.

Re: Should I have an Inverter

Post by John S. »

Charge my phone and iPad and run my computer. Also runs my cpap and we use it to just run things while the engine is running. We can run the microwave at a rest stop to heat something quickly.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Brent

Post by Brent »

My inverter was inexpensive and easily installed. I use it for TV, computer, music, charging appliances, a slow cooker, and a variety of things that occur. The ability to have electricity on call is nice. I'll always have one.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
stevek

Post by stevek »

My vote would be NO.
I have a 300 watt pure sine that I installed myself. I never use it.
I run all I need off 12 vdc.
For example
12 volt desk lamp
12 volt converter for my laptop/ usb to charge my phone and hotspot.
12 volt portable radio with built in rechargable nicads.
12 volt DVD player
12 volt TV
12 volt portable 12 inch box fan.
Last edited by stevek on Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

We had a number of 12vdc devices with our old RV. When we bought the BF, about 12 years ago, we changed to satellite TV and got a new computer, etc. At that point I noted that the market was limited for 12vdc devices. They were available but market choices (i.e., brand, quality, price, etc) and options/configurations were fewer. It was at that point the decision was made to always have an inverter available to maximize our options. It was a good choice. It's surprising how many odd uses have popped up over the years - Satt rcvr, electric saw, drill, HDTV converter box, soldering iron, shaver/tooth brush/camera battery/phone chargers, fan, PVR, back-up hard drv, stereo amplifier, hair clippers, scanner, hot glue gun, etc. Initially, we had a 2000w unit which crapped out after about 7 years. 'Replaced it with a little 400w Xantrex which uses much, much less base power. It will handle almost everything except most heating devices like coffee pots, fry skillets, crock pots. and the microwave.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
CuJo's Pride

Post by CuJo's Pride »

We use our inverter all the time. In fact we turn it on when we hit the road. We use it for charging items as well as our TV and DVD player. I don't know what we'd do without it.
Curt and Jo
Our Springer Spaniels - Betsy and Moxie
Member of The Born Free Leap'n Lions
"BeMo" is our 2004 26'RB
Trex 27 Speed Tandem Bicycle

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”