Leak in Side Window

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Brent

Leak in Side Window

Post by Brent »

In a hard rain I found a leak in the coach driver side window. The water was collecting in the bottom of the sliding window trac. I couldn't tell where it was getting into the trac and didn't see any other signs of water on the inside of the window.

Any ideas?

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Roger H

Re: Leak in Side Window

Post by Roger H »

Brent wrote:In a hard rain I found a leak in the coach driver side window. The water was collecting in the bottom of the sliding window trac. I couldn't tell where it was getting into the trac and didn't see any other signs of water on the inside of the window.

Any ideas?

Brent
Likely the weep holes in the bottom track on the outside of the window are plugged. That's the main source for most RV window leaks. When it rains, the track can't drain, so it fills with water and spills over the inside and down the wall. Use some .080" weed whacker line and run it through the weep holes to clean them out. It'll help to have a hose handy to flush the track while you're working the line through the weep holes to help clear the gunk out.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Brent

Post by Brent »

Thank you Roger
Fortunately I caught it before it came over the top of the trac. I'll try it this weekend. That would be an inexpensive fix.

Brent
Brent

Post by Brent »

Thank you for the tip Roger. Hopefully it is resolved. Today I used compressed air, a piece of bare ground wire, and then flushed it with water.

Fortunately it was discovered before any staining or damage. That's an advantage to storage under cover.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

You're welcome. It's amazing how much gunk those tracks can hold before the weep holes plug.

Although I'm sure the wire worked, weed whacker line is preferable to electric wire tho as it won't scratch the black anodizing off the aluminum.

Let us know if that resolved the problem!
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”