Please tell us your eclipse stories + a tip on viewing

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Please tell us your eclipse stories + a tip on viewing

Post by stevek »

I heard this on the TV. Use your smart phone in selfie mod to watch sun.

I did not make it to the "banded area", so please share your stories, pics, etc. THANKS.
Suppose to be 93% where we are. So.... how was the 100% ??
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
randallrae

Re: Please tell us your eclipse stories + a tip on viewing

Post by randallrae »

High clouds saw 3 BF's
2012 25' rb
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I was actually coming back in my BF across 70 from just south of Topeka to Lawrence, got pretty dusky, all cars driving with lights on. Kind of eery. It was over by 1:15CT. Awful hot and humid right now with showers to the north, prob around St. Joe.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
John S.

Post by John S. »

I was driving home from Jackson WY ground zero but did not plan it out well enough to be there for it. I was on I 68 in the Born Free and stopped and tried to take a selfie style photo. It worked by catching the reflection.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
BobnGail

Post by BobnGail »

Had made no Eclipse plans since were to be visiting son in Minneapolis but plans changed. Spur of the moment, we decided to head from the 90% eclipse in Oxford, MS to Tennessee's TOTALITY zone. Sunday morning started up the beautiful Natchez Trace & camped at David Crockett State Park in Lawrenceburg, TN. Goal next morning was to make appx. 2 hour drive NE & arrive at Cedars of Lenora State Park when gates opened at 8:00 AM. We secured a parking spot there & picnic table under the shady Cedar trees to await the day's big event at 11:56 AM. There were people there from all over, as far as Maine & Ontario. And guess what, we were not the only Born Free there. Met a lovely couple from about 30 miles from there in a 2002 26-footer!! Sorry, my husband did not get names :|. Eclipse lasted almost 2 magical, wonderful minutes. Life is wonderful when you are "born free" ... 8)
Bob n Gail
2005 26RB
Oxford MS
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks for stories everyone. Next one is in 7-8 years I think. Thru Texas and not coast to coast like this one. Saw lots of traffic, people driving home from Madras, OR. This town had the live coverage on TV.
Sure wish we could had seen the 100%, look really neat on TV.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo »

Took out 2002 24RB from St. Augustine, FL to Niota, TN to watch. Just off I-75 almost in CL of eclipse. Spectacular. Been planning a trip since 2001!
My brother's photo
My brother's photo
cce226b5-ca91-485c-be5d-e0245a8e619b_l.jpg (21.73 KiB) Viewed 9429 times
Diamond Ring effect
Diamond Ring effect
diamond.jpg (121.5 KiB) Viewed 9429 times
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

AMAZING photos! Thanks for sharing these! Can you fill us in on the technical details of how you shot these and what equipment you used please?
TeamArgo wrote:Took out 2002 24RB from St. Augustine, FL to Niota, TN to watch. Just off I-75 almost in CL of eclipse. Spectacular. Been planning a trip since 2001!
cce226b5-ca91-485c-be5d-e0245a8e619b_l.jpg
diamond.jpg
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo »

I can tell you about the diamond ring photo, as it was taken with my LG G3 phone with a straight point and shoot near the end of totality. I took three or four, and this turned out the best.
My brother is the more professional, taking photos with two cameras on tripods, two handheld, and a drone mounted camera. Best I remember, the one here used a filter cut out of a cheap pair of eclipse glasses (they all had the orange looking tint). He ran some type of multi -exposure timed event, but I don't remember the timing. My only job was to lift the filter off at the beginning of totality and put it back on at the end, while he was busy elsewhere.
I know you were hoping for more information, but that is all I have.
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

TeamArgo wrote:I can tell you about the diamond ring photo, as it was taken with my LG G3 phone with a straight point and shoot near the end of totality. I took three or four, and this turned out the best.
My brother is the more professional, taking photos with two cameras on tripods, two handheld, and a drone mounted camera. Best I remember, the one here used a filter cut out of a cheap pair of eclipse glasses (they all had the orange looking tint). He ran some type of multi -exposure timed event, but I don't remember the timing. My only job was to lift the filter off at the beginning of totality and put it back on at the end, while he was busy elsewhere.
I know you were hoping for more information, but that is all I have.
Thank you... I was hoping for a little more technical detail, but it's all good, and thank you for replying! Fascinating! The eclipse was only 70% where I was, and it was heavily overcast and raining while I was working in my yard... so I enjoyed your photos very much.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”