Selling BF since BF closed

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bonnie McDowell

Selling BF since BF closed

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

I had a buyer that needed financing to buy, and was told that the ACV on a 2002 BF Rear Bath is $6,000 and was told that "BornFree has taken a huge hit in value now that they are out of business as you can see in the nada/rvda sheet. However condition is a factor along with value. Depending on condition and miles, the value can be multiplied by 100%. If this RV was in perfect like new condition $14,000 would be the max. BF bankruptcy is hiring their values so much, many dealers don't even want to take them in on trade anymore."
Has anyone else run into this?
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012
whemme

Re: Selling BF since BF closed

Post by whemme »

Bonnie,

Where did you hear that Born Free was filing for bankruptcy? And what do you mean by ACV?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Bonnie McDowell wrote:I had a buyer that needed financing to buy, and was told that the ACV on a 2002 BF Rear Bath is $6,000 and was told that "BornFree has taken a huge hit in value now that they are out of business as you can see in the nada/rvda sheet. However condition is a factor along with value. Depending on condition and miles, the value can be multiplied by 100%. If this RV was in perfect like new condition $14,000 would be the max. BF bankruptcy is hiring their values so much, many dealers don't even want to take them in on trade anymore."
Has anyone else run into this?
No, Bonnie. Not at all. Frankly, MANY used RVs/motorhomes sold today, at least the quality ones, are orphans. That shouldn't hurt their value at all. Look at the fiberglass trailer market. Most of them are orphans, yet forty+ year old trailers bring more than their price was new. And, in motorhomes, Bigfoot and Chinook coaches are a good example. Bigfoot motorhomes have been orphaned since '09, and Chinooks even longer, and they're both still bringing BIG bucks.

The larger problem is financing a 15 year old RV. If it was less than 10 years old, it'd be much easier.
Last edited by Roger H on Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
stevek

Post by stevek »

I agree with the resale value of the Chinooks and see many here on the west coast.
For example this one, also a 2002 Sold for 28K.
.https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2002-C ... -122751755
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Bonnie McDowell

Bill, the BF bankruptcy is what the woman was told by the financing person at her bank. And ACV is actual cash value.
Bonnie McDowell
hornbake

Post by hornbake »

In my considered opinion, used Born Free RVs will be worth more, not less now that they can't be purchased new. Born Free owners with older coaches, most of whom love the Born Free brand, have nowhere to turn but used, newer coaches. And other new buyers who learn about the Born Free quality will need to seek out used coaches. While it is not nice that we can't call the experts at the factory now for answers, it's pretty clear that this website includes many experienced experts with a wealth of knowledge about Born Free. But that's just my two cents. Other opinions welcome.
Larry and Helen Hornbake
2013 27 ft RSB
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The only thing the factory effects is warranty work and parts and information source. Whatever they made bespoke would be tied to the factory, the shell and whatever else was made specifically for them. Most parts were sourced from outside. The quality was inherent to the brand, try to replace that.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

One thing is sure though: Every RV sales person will be talking about it in terms that are to his company's advantage. Be expecting it and do your own research.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Bonnie McDowell

My thought when BF closed was that it would actually increase the value of used coaches, since there will be no more! But then it surprised me that people would actually be financing a used RV. I don't finance anything that is not more or less a "necessity," and I don't see an RV being in that category (unless you are going to full-time in it). In fact, I won't even finance a car! I find the bank's concern about getting parts to demonstrate their lack of understanding that RV parts are not made by the manufacturer of the RV. A fellow RV friend thought the same, said the only thing she could think of might be the windows. Those are also made by an outside vendor (Hehr), although perhaps those would be harder to get now.
Bonnie McDowell

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”