roof and side wall construction question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevedoornbos

roof and side wall construction question

Post by stevedoornbos »

We are the proud owners of a 2016 Born Free Spirit. During the last hurricane a very large tree branch crashed into the top and side wall of our coach resulting in a large hole on both surfaces right where the rood and wall meets. Though I have searched extensively for information as to how the roof and side walls are constructed I'm finding nothing. I need this critical information for the insurance adjuster and appraiser. Can anyone direct me to or provide this information? I'm really stuck on this one.

I also need any information as to how much insulation is in the roof and side walls.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Happy Trails

Steven Doornbos
shilohdad

Re: roof and side wall construction question

Post by shilohdad »

Steven, I can't answer your questions specifically, but perhaps this Google Photos album can help. It has pictures of our 2017 Spirit being built last August and September. Your coach should have been built similarly, so you may be able to glean information from them.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xGgifR9C4TyxrPfVA

P.S., I hope everything else worked out OK. My father lives in Melbourne Beach and came through pretty much OK.
Last edited by shilohdad on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

I saw the BF molding operation years ago. It is somewhat like fiberglass in a boat rather than sheets laid together. If I were in this situation, would look for somebody who repairs fiberglass boats for both estimate and doing the fix-up.
Sorry for the damage. Good luck.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
stevek

Post by stevek »

I suggest we save shilohdads pictures of the construction of his BF and make a permanent part of our Forum for future reference.
Assuming its OK with him? And thanks for your pictures.
To me, the photos have valuable information.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Just my 2 cents.

The Born Free website use to have construction photos. But no more, since web site is terminated.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That's quite the project to put one of those together. Not like an assy line, each assembler needs to have knowledge of more then one operation.

I understand when I was shopping insurance, why full coverage was $1k+, whereas liability was $67.

The way repair works, find who you think can do a good job and get the bid, then add 50% and find someone to do it right.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”