Microwave Convection Oven

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

BikerJohn

Microwave Convection Oven

Post by BikerJohn »

Ok, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Looks like our Panasonic Microwave / Convection Oven (NN-T888S) may have prepped it's last meal. I checked the main breaker, all the panel fuses and all looked ok. I then pulled the microwave when we got home and started to take it apart. The main fuse on the microwave has blown! Yeah I thought, I can change that easily enough. After a run to the hardware store with a stop for dinner with the family, I put the new fuse it. Start it up and the panel is good. Everything seems to work. So I bench test the microwave. Almost instantly I lose all power. The fuse is popped. Well I think, I didn't put anything in the microwave, maybe that was the problem. I get a cup of water and put it in, check everything over once again to see if anything doesn't look right. And start it up again. Nope, blown fuse. So any suggestions as to what it is? I was able to check once door switch and it looks good. I'll have to tear into it more to check the other switches, but that's probably my next step. Any other suggestions on what to look for? Repair clinic dot com has a few parts for it also. But I'm not finding much on the internet about it.

2) If I can't fix it, any suggestions on a replacement? I like having the convection oven option, but like my wife said we've only used it once in 4 years and many trips (40K miles), so she would be happy with a microwave only option. So I'm open for suggestions!

(Edited the spelling of the title - corrected it)
Last edited by BikerJohn on Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

2004 26' Rear Bath owner!
BikerJohn

Re: Microwave Convecation Oven

Post by BikerJohn »

There are three switches on the door (one set is redundant - Normally Open for one and Normally Closed for the other to provide a failsafe on the door). They are all three actuating appropriately.
John

2004 26' Rear Bath owner!
Roger H

Re: Microwave Convecation Oven

Post by Roger H »

Likely the magnetron has breathed it's last and is shorting out, John. It's probably time to find a new one. Any microwave will work, just make sure that it fits the metal flange that is holding the current oven in. Otherwise you'll have to get a new mounting flange too.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Mike Jean Bandfield

Re: Microwave Convection Oven

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

BikerJohn wrote:Ok, so I have a couple of questions.

1) Looks like our Panasonic Microwave / Convection Oven (NN-T888S) may have prepped it's last meal....
2) If I can't fix it, any suggestions on a replacement?...
I'm curious BikerJohn, did you fix or replace your MW?
Mine failed the same exact way last week but I can't find a schematic specific to this unit. I diagnosed a failed HV rectifier and ordered the part from Moscow, Russia - 2 month shipping period :roll: Without the schematic I can't be sure the inverter circuit card is not also bad and the cause for the failed diode.
If you've found a like-for-like replacement oven, I may end up going that route as the easier fix.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

2012 25' rb
nrmcclain

Post by nrmcclain »

About 2 years ago we replaced our defective Tappan microwave/convection oven with a1.1 CF High Pointe microwave/convection oven in our 2006 Born Free 24’ RB.
However, it took several calls to the vendor to secure necessary size and clearance dimensions to verify that it would fit in the existing cabinet cavity prior to purchase. If I remember correctly the old unit was a Tappan and we were unable to find a Tappan replacement.

Unit: High Point Microwave Oven
Model: B-ECO28BMR-B
Trim Kit: B-KITB2801-B
Vendor: Burnstine’s Distributing Corporation
Phone: (574)848-1118

Link:
https://burnstines.com/products/high-po ... ec028bsc-b

CAUTION: Different coaches likely have different cabinet size cavities but this unit worked for us.

We hope this is helpful.

Nick & Dee Dee
2006 BF 24’ RB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I'm happy to report the $10 HV rectifier (ordered from Russia :roll: ) arrived early and it fixed my Panasonic. Thanks to those that responded - the hive grows smarter. I love this forum.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”