Navigation system in Freedom

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

walkyourway

Navigation system in Freedom

Post by walkyourway »

Hi newby here. I recently purchased a 2015 Freedom and I have to say the learning curve is very steep! I think I have sorted most things out but would be very grateful of advice on the Navigation system. Whenever I turn it on it comes up with the following message: "Application Error Navi.exe has encountered a serious error and must shut down".
I have tried the local Ford dealer here in Fort Collins for advice and they are totally dismissive and trying to tell me the unit is not Ford and they won't work with motorhomes anyway!! I am fairly positive that the Nav. unit is the same unit as fitted to the E450.

We would be very grateful of any advice.

Chris and Rosemary
Dallas Baillio

Re: Navigation system in Freedom

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have an aftermarket GPS I bought. It is a Garmin Navi. You error message with Navi in it may indicate you have a Garmin GPS. If you have a manual it should give you a model number. If not try the Garmin website, identify your model, and download the manual.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Found my file. I have a Nuvi 1450. Garmin Tech Support —- 1-800-800-1020.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I may have mislead you. One definition:

navigation system - Computer Definition
image: http://cf.ydcdn.net/latest/images/dicti ... mputer.gif

A GPS-based electronic system in a vehicle or mobile device that provides a real-time map of the current location as well as step-by-step directions to a requested destination. For more details, see GPS, Google Maps, CarPlay, Open Automotive Alliance, in-dash navigation and portable GPS. See reality view and vehicle tracking.

Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/navigatio ... Clv37JS.99
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Thank you for your reply. I should have said that the Navigation system seems to be Rand McNally as their logo appears next to the error message. I had assumed the SD card was corrupted and have removed it... but now what? Pictures included with my BF manuals and the chassis manuals do not look like the system I have although closer to the Ford unit. There is no manufacturer's mark on the unit. I know it is a BF supplied unit as their logo comes up when you switch on - but then I immediately get the error message which overlays everything else. Help!

Chris and Rosemary
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

hi chris
i have an in dash navigation/stereo/back up camera unit installed in my 2009 model that is made by pioneer and i am sure different from yours; however, my unit has a small round recessed opening that allows me to stick a pointed object (ball point pin) into and it functions as a reset button. my unit has shown a blank screen before and when i hold the reset button in for 10 seconds or so it has rebooted the system and brought it back on line.
it also has an SDHC card inserted into a slot on the face of the unit that contains the navigation/road map information. The card does need to be inserted into the unit to allow it to work properly. your owners manual for the unit should contain information on this as well as how to reboot the unit.
i would also go to rand mcnally's web site and see if they have any info explaining how to respond to the error message you are getting.

i can relate to your sense of "new owners frustration", since the initial learning curve for new RV owners can be very daunting and overwhelming at times. i can also assure you that as time goes on your knowledge will increase as your frustration level goes down.

good luck
john

ps
after reading your message again, i am thinking that rand mcnally is probably the software source for the mapping/directional part of your system and not the mfg. of the unit itself.
hopefully you got the original papers, owners manuals, etc for your born free and in that pile of papers should be an owners manual for your in dash system. if so, that should help you with finding how to reset or get your unit to power up correctly.

john
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
montir

Post by montir »

We have a 2015 Triumph Royal and the dash radio was installed by Born Free. It is a Xite Model XS90111E with the Rand-Mcnally navigation module. The software for the navigation unit is on the SD card and if corrupted, will give a message like you are seeing. If you have a Windows PC you can update the card using the application downloaded from the Rand-Mcnally Web site. They have an App for Mac computers also but it has never worked right for me. I have finally given up on trying to keep it working and simply use a dash-top Garmin unit.

Even when it is working, the Rand-Mcnally unit is a lousy navigator. It frequently tries to send us on back roads that take us many miles out of our way and are slower to travel on (this is when set to fastest route). My Garmin unit is not perfect but it is a lot better to use even though it does not contain all the campground information the RM unit has.

The screen display on the radio itself is about the worst I have seen for use as a backup camera display. In many lighting conditions the image is impossible to see no matter how I adjust the contrast and brightness. I really wish Born Free had just kept the Ford radio - assuming they could have wired the backup camera to it. In later models they installed a Sony radio with Tom Tom navigation. I don't know how satisfied users are with those radios.
Monti
2015 Triumph Royal RB 4X4
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Here are the Rand McNally current products.

Why not give them a call and explain your error message?

Consumer Electronics Support
TND, RVND, Road Explorer, DashCam, ELD 50
Monday - Friday, 7am to 6pm CST
tndsupport@randmcnally.com | 1-877-446-4863
Attachments
ACE2AFDA-BE3F-4B8F-9619-7FA3E7FD4964.jpeg
ACE2AFDA-BE3F-4B8F-9619-7FA3E7FD4964.jpeg (68.88 KiB) Viewed 14288 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Thank you both for your helpful advice. The only (38 page) document I have is from Sirius and came with the BF library. I think you are correct in saying the Rand McNally is solely the Navigation system and the unit is a Sirius - although the illustrations bear no relation to my unit.

Armed with that info. I pulled the SD card and tried to use the Rand McNally refresh site on my computer (windows). No luck and doesn't seem to recognise the card so will telephone them on Monday.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance. We are very appreciative and we are very fortunate to have this site.

Chris and Rosemary
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

All information gratefully received. Monti - your reference to your Xite Model XS90111E was soooo helpful. The unit is indeed the Xite (never heard of them!) and by a bit of sleuthing I have found both the manuals for the unit plus the manual for setting up the nav. system. Thank you again. Now to get a new SD card....

Chris
jjhepkin

Post by jjhepkin »

hi again chris
i just googled "xite gps" and it pulled up quite a bit of info.

the company web site is www.xsna.ca

google also pulled up a 15 minute video, on winnebago's web site, explaining how to use the xite infotainment system in dash model which apparently they use in some of their RV's and is probably the same unit you have in your born free.

my guess is these sights can get you going again.

good luck and happy trails.

john hepkin
John & Janet Hepkin

2009 28' RSB Kodiak Chassis 8.1L
Previously owned 2004 Chinook Destiny
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Great information. Thank you again. I have been onto both sites and have downloaded a lot of info (actually more than I can ever read in my lifetime!)

Chris
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

We have the same Navi. Often when we get that error, it clears with a reset. Hold power button down till it powers off and reboots. Mine came with lifetime maps o just need to register on the Rand McNally site. In updating the map, the SD card was not big enough for the upgrade. I emailed them and they sent me a new SD card with no charge. Might be wotyh a call.
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Thank you all very much for the information. It turns out that the previous owner had never used the system and had not registered with Rand McNally!!!! Without your help I would never have figured this out - thank you all again.

Chris
Vlamgat

Post by Vlamgat »

Just came upon this thread. I am glad it's sorted out. I do want to add my shared lack of happiness with this unit on my 14 Triumph Royal. Most especially the stupid tiny size of the sub menu display buttons that render many functions unusable by the driver. There is a remote control available which has to be the worst execution of remote functionality ever to come out of the consumer electronics industry. I tracked down the programmers and asked them to revise the button functions. They laughed in my face to the effect that I must be a real dumb ass to have bought the thing. It was never intended to work but just to fill a catalog requirement for the RV shows.

So I use the system for Sirius and mount my phone with Waze for Nav which is way better, updated for traffic and construction.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”