2002 Door Lock

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

docgreen

2002 Door Lock

Post by docgreen »

2002 Door Lock. Someone tried to break in door, but dead bolt kept them out. Problem is lock will not work. When door is shut, key will not unlock the lock. It is a TriMark lock and order one from TriMark, but it did not work. Would like to replace, does not need to be TriMark. Any suggestions.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Contact Kim Olson in customer service at the Born Free factory, 800-247-1835 or customer.service@dodgen-bornfree.com

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
docgreen

Post by docgreen »

Bill, thanks for the advice but I have talked to Kim at Born Free and he said they had issues with the door and Trimark lock. It seems to be something with the thickness of the door. He told me they changed door and lock companies. I am hoping that a BF owner had the same problem and could come up with a fix.
KevinVT

Re: 2002 Door Lock

Post by KevinVT »

I know this is an older post, but our 2003 24RB might need a new lock. Docgreen, did you ever find a new lock that worked well?

We only have 1 lower Trimark key and the lock feels lose. I might try to get a locksmith to create a key for the lost upper lock (deadbolt).

I am wondering if anyone has replaced the rear entry door lock and if so, which model / brand did you use? I had considered also trying a keyless system as well, such as RVLock - https://www.rvlock.com/. But it seems like these get mixed reviews. There are also several other keyless systems out there - most seem like knock offs of the 2 or so main systems.

Anyone have experience with an older Born Free and a new entry door lock? And/or retro fitting a keyless? Thanks!
--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
jlef123

Re: 2002 Door Lock

Post by jlef123 »

I would suggest that you get a key for the deadbolt ASAP. My RV Mechanic advised me that the lower non-deadbolt key was almost a universal key and that a lot of folks will have a key that will operate that lock. He suggested to me that I always lock the deadbolt when leaving the coach.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”