Leak fixed, new leak, and misfire

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

KevinVT

Re: Leak fixed, new leak, and misfire

Post by KevinVT »

Hey folks,

I just posted a topic this is just like this. We are getting leaks behind the driver and passenger seats. By the flexsteel sofa and one of the captain. We just bought our 2003 24RB and drive it form TX to Vermont. The last day was a rain storm and there was lots of leaking.. but also in the cab over bed.

I assumed it must be the seal. I think I traced it to leaking on the roof that then travels the roll bars down both sides... and then reached the carpet. We had it also come out in the cab over bed - we removed the mattress and are drying it out. I have the rig in a garage and just pulled all the trim. You can see my pictures below. The majority of the crappy rusted up screws came from the roof. It also looked like the trim was not seated right on the seam in some cases.

Note how on the side the panels overlap... I do not think it is likley leaks would be from here. But note how up by the cab over window there is more of a gap. I pulled a big chunk of yucky caulk from the bottom of this gap - see this image:

See how there is a larger gap above as well. I think the weak point is from here up. So even water we see on the carpet could be coming from much higher up. I hope this helps someone.

I am in the process of getting ready to reseal everything and use stainless steel screws. I am just not sure if I am going to fill the void in the seam with a ProFlex or maybe just Butyl tape before re attaching the trim. I do plan to put butyl tape under the trim again... and might even caulk the trim. I might fill the old holes first... and place the screws in the new holes. My hope is this will address any future leaking from these main seals... then I might do the pressure test... because I know there are some leaks in the rear as well - at least one right by the entry door.

Here are some pics of the seam. Any suggestions on the best process for putting back together?

--Kevin
2003 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6685 -- 11/2003

(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6176 -- 9/2000)
(Former 2001 Born Free 24' RB - No. 6185 -- 3/2001)
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

Kevin,

You're my hero! I just found my leak and it was at the junction of the drivers drip rail and vertical seam. After literally digging out the old sealant water poured out of the gap. Your pictures are what I expected it might look like under there. I did quick fix Sunday by loading up the entire area with sealant. Next fall I'd like to do what you've done (not really). Not that I want to but it's obvious that these seams require a very robust sealing. I'm thinking of showing your pictures to a fiberglass boat repair place for any advice they might have. These leaks are almost inevitable after time with the flexing etc the coaches get from regular use. I have found huge gaps, one being on the back top seam. I have covered it with eternabond for now because I had a river of water coming in the back. Luckily it drained into the shower and did zero damage because I found it right away. The latest leak resulted in the removal of all living area furniture and all carpet. I love my BF for now, but I can't be spending all my money and personal time chasing leaks, and replacing flooring etc. This week I will try to fix the front window leak because I like the window and its now my only leak point. We plan on using the coach this weekend so I need to get busy.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Russ (?)

I am so glad my pictures helped. I owned a 2001 RB for a year and saw some light evidence of water damage... and I have seen a few others - again with the same damage. Often the front of the sofa and in my 2003 the sofa is on passenger side and that end board is all damaged and discolored.

As for the pulling things off... it wasn't too bad. Having my brother-in-laws garage to work in is a huge help. We have a lot of wet carpet and some damaged wood (the end of the sofa and the side of the table by the captain chairs). I think leaking in this unit has been happening a look time. But most things are still sound. My wife would like to change the carpet but I am a bit reluctant. It seems like pulling the chairs, table, sofa is a lot of work. Do you have pictures from the job you did? Seems like you need to take out driver and passenger seats also, since the carpet goes right into that area. The back part of my unit is hardwood on the floor.

My hope was to dry things out well... do a deep clean on the carpet and hold off on need to address the damaged wood for a while. You can only see the damage if you go looking for it. And I prefer not to change out carpet or fix damaged/discolored wood until I am 100% sure all leaking is fixed.

I need to put things back together now... and my fear is how best to do it so it lasts again. the big gaps I ask Dicor about in an email and they said to fill gaps with bytul.. but not sure if that is going to be fully water proof. I think some ProFlex in there might be a good way to go and then butyl and molding. I also scraped away some caulk or something from behind some of the panels where they overlap.. so I might replace that as well.. use a little caulk to glue or stick panel back. It is hard because I know all of this flexes and moves. But as I mentioned - I think almost 100% of leaking seen down by sofa and table/chair is often coming from up high.

I have some other leak areas to address. I will share more pictures as I learn more or open things up :-)
--Kevin

Roger H

Post by Roger H »

For what it's worth, I've had leaks in my 2006 as well in that top seam where the cabover joins, and in the front Fantastic Vent area and around the front roll bar. I took it to the factory in 2016. Bill told me some interesting things... first was that they used an inferior caulk product for some period of time, and that they'd switched caulk products sometime around 2009.

He pulled out and re-caulked all of the seams, including all the seams above the floor.

For the top roof seam, he just poured sealant over the entire seam and trim piece to seal it, and it's held. The last part of my leaks seemed to be the side screws in the fantastic fan where water was pooling around the fan, and then leaking in through the screws in the side of the vertical shrouds. I sealed those and all is well.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
ramblinbob

Post by ramblinbob »

Hi Kevin and others with a leak problem. Watching this thread as I have or had the same problem with leaks at same locations. I also pulled off the drivers drip rail and loosened the vertical seam both sides enough to check and repair. I filled large gaps with butyl tape then caulked over this and the screw heads. On drivers side I also added a strip of sticky tape under the drip rail and caulked above the rail. Top seam had leaked before I bought and fixed or so I thought. I added eternabond to top seams front and rear and don't think water could be getting in there. I can't find a path of entry and everything seemed fine except for maybe over caulking by previous owner. Since I can't find starting point of leak I'm thinking perhaps it starts near the AC. My BF holds water on the roof (Wish it was rounded). Though I found no wetness under AC or nearby.

Thinking of having the AC seal replaced just to be sure. Is there a way to reinforce or increase curvature of roof under AC by adding shims or styrofoam.
Anyone else have a roof that holds water? Any suggestions?

Also when I replaced trim, except for drivers side, I didn't fill with caulk under trim rail and also put holes in bottom under the trim strip so any water getting in can get out.

Kevin and all others have you found a definite point of entry? If so where? Am I to suppose the water entered between caulk and body which seemed to be secure? Yes I know water goes where it wants to but there has to be a point, or more, of entry.

I'm also thinking of adding a lip of caulk or eternabond around AC but under shroud to keep water (somewhat) from entering from that location. Suggestions?

I'm living full-time in this BF so that makes it a bit harder to do repairs and keep us dry.
KevinVT

Post by KevinVT »

Hi,

I believe the water in my BF was coming from the little square gap located right where the long top rail meets the front vertical rail. See the image below. I think the water travels along the rails.. sometimes if there is a weak point it will enter. The blue arrows show were I think (note "I think" water flows.

The orange arrows is were I believe (based on interior water damage) the water is moving inside the walls - along the roll bars. The red arrow is the point that I found that I think was the major weak point.

Since I have removed all the rails on the front and resealed I have not found water in those areas.

As for the AC unit... I don't see any water damage and although this is a low spot, for me I don't plan to address unless I see evidence of a issue.

I have however seen some light leaking from our Delta antenna. Our antenna is pretty sealed but I think were the two halves come together can be a weak point. I have run a bead of caulk along the top.

Good luck!

--Kevin
--Kevin

ramblinbob

Post by ramblinbob »

I feel mine came from there too as there was a large gap, but I was wondering did you find any damaged trim, the insertable piece last used when redoing. I'm asking cause I found nothing that would indicate a leak starting point. Which is why I was wondering about AC. Ive had water damage at my previous home found the entry point and sealed, here I'm doing the obvious but is there a point of entry I'm missing.

Bob
2005 24' RB Casual Elegance "Momma C"
2010 Honda Element "Ella B"
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

stevek wrote:Regarding the leak, pressurize the cabin and use soapy water on seams.
You can find various videos on youtube.
Maybe use a leaf blower?
Anyone tried just using the fantastic fan to do this? Is there enough pressure?
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”