Shower problem

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

walkyourway

Shower problem

Post by walkyourway »

All set for our first trip and the shower doesn't work. Total no no as far as wife is concerned! The shower is a Cleveland Faucet. I have taken it apart as far as the base (cartridge is out) and only get a trickle of water - even with high pressure city water. Really difficult to replace and apparently no valves that I can see - so I am assuming a blockage but where??? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
shilohdad

Re: Shower problem

Post by shilohdad »

Does the shower head have an on/off switch? Our 2017 Spirit does. It can act this way if it is in the off position. Another thing to look at is replacing the hose, as it may have a clog.

Also, in general, it is best to include your year and model in your post. That way someone with a similar model may be able to better help.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

walkyourway wrote:All set for our first trip and the shower doesn't work. Total no no as far as wife is concerned! The shower is a Cleveland Faucet. I have taken it apart as far as the base (cartridge is out) and only get a trickle of water - even with high pressure city water. Really difficult to replace and apparently no valves that I can see - so I am assuming a blockage but where??? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Hot side, cold side, or both? I'm not familiar with a "Cleveland Faucet," what is that? What kind of shower head do you have?

As Shilohdad said, make and model is very useful, and photos of the setup are even better. There are a number of places that could be an issue, but until we have more specifics it'll be tough to help you out.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Thank you for your replies. However, I have taken the shower unit apart so hose and H&C are not relevant here. The shower unit is a Cleveland Faucet which is a division of Moen. The coach is 2015 Freedom. I think I am going to have to replace the whole thing but (of course) the hole in the shower stall is smaller than the shower unit! BF obviously installed the shower before they fitted the kitchen cabinets. I have tried high pressure water and just get a trickle (which of course then drips down the inside of the wall!). I have searched for valves but don't see any.

Unless you know better it sounds as if I am going to have to cut an access hole in the side of the kitchen cabinet. Any better ideas please??

Chris
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I wouldn't cut any holes just yet . I assume water is flowing ,both hot and cold ,from all other faucets . With the cartridge out and no water is flowing would mean both hot and cold water lines to the shower are plugged . I would doubt that so I recommend more research .
2012 25' rb
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Are there valves or shutoffs somewhere farther up the line?
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
harrisgowing

Post by harrisgowing »

I recall hearing that there were some owners of 2014 or 2015 units who had leakage in the wall behind the shower faucet and BF replaced everything, including the wall. Does anyone have more knowledge about this?
Chuck and Judy Harris
Oliver and Monty, the Cavaliers at the Rainbow Bridge; Timothy Dickens, the Cavalier puppy
2004 RSB
2015 Royal Splendor
Santana tandem bicycle
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

I have never had much luck with manufacturer's help lines but I did contact Moan and asked them the same questions. Great surprise - I got an immediate email reply and an exploded diagram. (Perhaps I should have done this before bothering you). A bit late for BF to replace and refit the shower stall but thank you for the info. - it might prove i am not crazy. Also, I have looked for other valves but "appears" to be none although could be behind this double skin wall. If I can fix this problem I will post again in case others have the same.

Thank you to all who have tried to assist.

Chris

2015 Freedom
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

When the system was charged, did you have any water on the ground underneath the coach? Low point drains are becoming more prevalent and more frequent in later models. Could they have put low point drains on the shower lines that are open?
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Yes there are 7 (yes seven) drain valves and they are all closed. Moen sent me an exploded diagram and I have removed what they call a check valve. The check valve presumably stops water from migrating from hot to cold when the shower is off ??? The check valve appears to be non functioning and has bits of rubber sticking out. I asked Moen where I could get a replacement and they are sending one in the mail at no charge. Can't get better service than that.

This check valve, apparently fitted to BF's 2012 - 2015 can severely limit the water flow (or in my case stop it completely). If you have this problem please contact me and I will send detailed instructions for a fix.

Thank you to all members who replied and a particular thank you to Randallraie who prescribed "more research".

Thank you all - this is a great site. Now off to the mountains........

Chris

2015 Freedom
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

walkyourway wrote:The check valve presumably stops water from migrating from hot to cold when the shower is off ??? The check valve appears to be non functioning and has bits of rubber sticking out.
Chris, I have two apartment buildings with twelve units total... and I'm still using the old standard Delta single-handle kitchen/shower/bath faucets with springs and seats. I've had to work on a couple of cartridge faucets and they have made me a believer in the old KISS system. I've yet to understand what is "improved" about cartridge faucets.

Glad you figured out what was going on with yours, and thanks for sharing both the problem and your fix. Well done!

Roger
walkyourway

Post by walkyourway »

Roger,

I have a simple (cynical) answer for that: Replacement cartridges are $$ a time whereas O rings are cents! A bit like Gillette razors.......... but in fairness Moen were great to deal with.

Chris

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”