Cure for steering wander

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

travjohn

Cure for steering wander

Post by travjohn »

Considering adding Roadmaster front and/or rear stabilizer bars to my 2002 24' RB on Ford 450 chassis, and wondering if any other users have done so, and with what results. Any other advice on curing steering wandering will be appreciated.
Steve W

Re: Cure for steering wander

Post by Steve W »

We purchased a 2007 RB new and it was delivered to us in Sacramento, CA. At the end of our initial trip with it, I was amazed the delivery driver had even got it to California. To describe the steering was "loose" would only be suggestive. At 55 mph, driving it was a two handed white knuckle affair. To shorten this story considerably, after a number of unsuccessful attempts for a solution, I ended up having a Safe-T-Steer installed in the front and a heavy duty rear stabilizer installed in the rear. Problem solved.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve,

Did you ever have the front end alignment caster checked. If not set to near the high end of the spec range of +5 degrees or more will have a great effect on steering stability.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

travjohn wrote:Considering adding Roadmaster front and/or rear stabilizer bars to my 2002 24' RB on Ford 450 chassis, and wondering if any other users have done so, and with what results. Any other advice on curing steering wandering will be appreciated.
First, I'd make sure that there are no existing problems in the front suspension and steering that need to be addressed before adding additional equipment that may have the ability to cover up existing problems.

Typically, Ford only installed an under-sized front anti-sway bar and none on the rear. The addition of front and rear stabilizer-bars will make a HUGE difference in the coach's desire to wander... particularly in windy conditions. I have the stock Ford bar on the front of my Coachmen B19 and put a Helwig bar on the rear with great effect.

I installed a Roadmaster anti-sway bar on the front and had the Roadmaster factory install the rear anti-sway stabilizer on my 32RQ as well as a Davis tru-trac bar on the solid front axle. The Kodiak chassis was, frankly, frightening to drive before I added the bars. Now it's much more well-mannered.

You'll be impressed and pleased with the difference.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Bill

The Ford Dealership (a large one that handles trucks and services RVs) in our area was the first place I took it. They checked the front end, did all the measurements, etc, and informed me that everything was within specifications. I then took it to an independent shop that worked on larger trucks and was told the same thing, though they said that I might consider having shims installed which "might" help the problem. They were a little vague so I declined. I ended up in a shop up in Redding, CA then specialized in alignment/front end problems for large trucks/RVs. They initially installed a heavy duty rear sway bar which did not help. It was the Safe-T-Steer installation in the front that solved the problem for us.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
JeffatJacks

Post by JeffatJacks »

whemme wrote:Steve,

Did you ever have the front end alignment caster checked. If not set to near the high end of the spec range of +5 degrees or more will have a great effect on steering stability.
Bill’s suggestion about the alignment is solid. Let me share our somewhat long winded journey.

When we got our used 2004 BF 26RB I immediately replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and the tires with the Michelin’s. Then I took it for alignment to what was supposedly the most respected shop.

We took it on our “shake down trip” towing our Jeep and I thought we were going to die. It was almost undriveable. Fortunately, we didn’t die and when we got home I started researching as you are. I installed a Super Steer rear track bar and that helped but I still wasn’t comfortable driving the coach, especially when towing the toad.

I found a legit RV and Large Truck service shop and they re-aligned the coach on their brand new Hunter Machine and it was night and day difference. The alignment was not only out of spec, put is was wildly different side to side. I had already ordered a set of Hellwig front and rear anti-roll bars before the alignment problem was identified so we installed them after the alignment anyway. We were driving pretty good at this point and did a long trip from TX to FL with no major issues. After a trip to Albuquerque I was still getting a little tail wagging the dog when towing the Jeep so I had them check the alignment on the Jeep and while it was in “Spec” the tow measurement was causing the Jeep to wander. They dialed in the Jeep alignment and now we are really driving good.

I figured we were almost all in at this point so we decided to cover all our bases and I had them install a Road Master steering stabilizer. It probably wasn’t absolutely necessary but you can tell the difference and happy with it.

So to make a long story a bit longer, get your coach and toad aligned before you spend any other money. Then you can address specific issues as time and budget allow. I don’t regret our upgrades and I’m happy to spend a little on the coach as we aren’t supporting the race car habit much these days.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Safe travels.
2004 Born Free 26 RB
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”