Electric Privacy Shade

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dave Rotelle

Electric Privacy Shade

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Our electric privacy (white) shade on our driver side window stopped working this morning. The other (black) shade works fine. When I push the button to go down it works fine but when I push the button to go up it makes a clicking sound at the end of the blind and will not retract.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thank you,
Dave
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
whemme

Re: Electric Privacy Shade

Post by whemme »

Dave, I have manual shades in my BF so can't help you directly. However, Born Free normally includes in their coach manual information about the various appliances installed. Locate that info and call the manufacturer for help with your shade problem.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
montir

Post by montir »

Dave,

I had the motor on one of our privacy shades burn out when the shade got caught behind the TV as I was raising it. After some searching thru the Born Free documentation I found the brand name (sorry I don't remember it) and contacted the manufacturer to obtain a replacement motor. Unfortunately, they do not deal with consumers and informed me that I would need to go to one of their authorized dealers to have any repair made. If Born Free had still been in business, I would have just called Kim and he would have sent it to me. Since this wasn't an option, I replaced the blinds on both sides with MCD manual shades. An expensive repair but I won't have any more motor problems with those shades. You might have better luck if your shades were made by a different company.
Monti
2015 Triumph Royal RB 4X4
Dave Rotelle

Post by Dave Rotelle »

Thank you for your input/replies. I removed the switch to see if there were any loose wires which there weren't, put it back together and it's working again.

Just returned from sheltering in a bathhouse in a Winesburg Ohio campground because of a Tornado warning...…...pulled the Born Free out from under the trees before we ran for the bathhouse. Very exciting evening for these two 55 year old's! :D
2013 Freedom Front Lounge.
Purchased November 2017.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Your coach probably has the same shades as mine. They are from Auto-Motion Shade Inc http://www.automotionshade.com. Nearest dealer to you according to their website would be Brad and Hall in Elkhart, IN. http://www.braddandhall.com. Good luck. If mine ever go out I think I would do as Montir did and replace them with manual shades. Won't have to worry about the motor just the springs in the roller, with the added bonus of not having to fiddle with the limit stop adjustment anymore.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

When the string broke on one of my Day-Night shades I replaced both of them with blackout curtains and curtain wire kit from IKEA:

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
John S.

Post by John S. »

When mine fail I too will go with manual MCD shades as well.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”