Travel Advice please for MO and OK

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

jlef123

Travel Advice please for MO and OK

Post by jlef123 »

Looking for some travel advice for our summer trip. We are leaving the National Rally in Amana this summer and then traveling the section of Historic Rt. 66 from St Louis to Oklahoma City. Our first question is it safe and/or prudent to travel through St Louis with a Coach and toad? Are there any areas in St Louis to avoid? One stop that was recommended in St Louis is Ted Drewes Frozen Custard which would mean taking I70 and then I44 through St Louis with some travel on side streets. Is that an OK area to travel? We will then follow Historic Route 66 to Oklahoma City which pretty much parallels I44. For those of you from that area are there any don't miss places along that route that you would suggest? Favorite recommended RV Parks or campgrounds would be appreciated. We are using a few noted Guidebooks for this trip but would welcome some local advice.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
randallrae

Re: Travel Advice please for MO and OK

Post by randallrae »

Branson MO
2012 25' rb
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Good private CG just SW of Lebanon, MO. Can't remember name but you'll see it. Concerning St. Louis from I-55, I-64, I-70 or whatever to I-44. It's a little tricky for awhile after you come off the bridge so watch signs carefully. Otherwise no problem getting through through town. Red Rock State Park on I-40 west of OKC very scenic place it you are going that way.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

In Oklahoma City be sure and see the bombing memorial. It is a very well done and moving experience.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Thank you all for the suggestions. Lebanon MO looks interesting. We will have to stop there for their Rt 66 Museum.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
nrmcclain

Post by nrmcclain »

Joel & Sandy

After much research, we completed driving our Born Free from Chicago to Santa Monica Pier, CA (3-4 weeks) over as much of the old Historic Route 66 as we could find (and that the coach would tolerate) in 2017. We finished our trip just in time to attend the National Rally in Newport Beach, CA.

It was a great trip and, in our opinion, well worth the research to cover all the basis - a fantastic RV trip.

I would suggest the following for some preparatory work:
Contacting the Route 66 Federation at 909.336.6131
Or go to https://www.national66.org/

At least get the book titled EZ 66 Guide for Travelers which includes easy to use maps and directions, attractions, historic details and etc. along the route.

Additionally, AAA publishes a great map titled “Route 66 America’s Highway” which also gives detailed instructions on getting to the main historic and other attractions along the route.

Driving Historic Route 66 from St. Louis MO to Oklahoma City. OK, you will find the following interesting points of interest taken from my Route 66 AAA map:
(62) Hamil, IL - Wheezies Route 66 Bar & Grill
(61) Granite City, Mo - Chain of Rocks Bridges
(60) St. Louis - Gateway Arch
(59) St. Louis - Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (excellent)
(58) Eureka, Mo - Route 66 State Park
(57) Standon, MO - Mermiac Caverns
(56) Cuba, MO - Route 667 Murel City (excellent)
(55) St Robert, MO - Devils Elbo Bridge
(54) Carthage, MO - 66-Drive IN
(53) Galena, KS - Cars on the Route 1930’s area filling station
(52) Narcissa, OK - Rt 66 Sidewalk Highway
(51) Afton, OK - Afton Station
(50) Catoosa - OK - Blue Whale
(49) Chandler, OK - Route 66 Interpretive Center
(48) Arcadia, OK - Round Barn
(47) Arcadia, OK - Pops
(46) Clinton, OK - Oklahoma Route 66 Museum (excellent)

See you at the National in May and have a great trip on Historic Route 66
Nick & Dee Dee
2006 24’RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”