Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bornnorm

Re: Newbie

Post by bornnorm »

First wedding of this trip done.

Our grandson's wedding was well orchestrated, held in a great venue, a former Seattle Ferry docked on Lake Union with the Seattle skyline as a back drop, but it all was paled by the bride and groom. They really appear to really have it together and should make a great couple. Two more weddings to go, I hope the results are equal.

We are now on the Olympic Peninsula in Chimacum, WA, the home of Evergreen Coho Escapee Park. We're staying for a month. The price is right, $495 and it includes electricity. We had not planned to stay so long but our grandson asked us to stay so he can spend more time when he returns from his honeymoon... happy to do it.

We had another age related failure. The power plug at the rig end failed this morning, melted down on the hot lead, I assume a high resistance contact situation. It melted the male portion at the rig and the female portion of the cable at the hot pin. I probably should have noticed this before it totally failed. Fortunately we had a second cable so we went to Home Depot and purchased a Male end for the rig and replaced it.

I have never liked how the AC connects to the rig and had been planning to make a solid connection at the rig end when we returned. (On our rig there is a stubby cable about a foot long with a male plug on it. I don't know it this is standard or not.)

As I've sat here each evening I've been thinking about adding additional storage space, not because there's not really enough but rather for additional convenience. For example we could use something like a desk drawer. I used to have one on the front dash in front of the passenger in a former motorhome, as well there's an appropriate location fpr a drawer under the cabinet to the left of the door.

As well the space above the door could serve as storage space. Possibly a storage shelf for hats and gloves, a flashlight or .....

There is also funky unused space between the front cabinets at the front roll bar (we have the over cab cabinet option) It appears this space could easily add a book shelf on each side of the rig.

Lastly I like pull out under the couch storage. The first , most rearward storage space is a drawer that we use for pots and pans. We are considering making the middle storage space a pullout drawer as well.

As to the shelving of the Bathroom closet that has worked well. One thing we could have used was a small steamer for my dress coat.

We have added two Command hooks to the back f the shower to allow us to hang our rain coats. After all we are in the Sunless Northwest, virtually rain every day at this time of the year.

Though we have had this and that issues, the Born Free has worked well. All critical systems are working well.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Tulips.

I should have mentioned we went to Mount Vernon, WA for the Tulip Festival. It runs for the month of April. Acres of tulips, looking like a Van Gogh landscape, an acre of reds, yellows, purple, ... just amazing. Well worth the visit. If you time it right you can also see acres of daffodils. We went to lunch at the Kiwanis, they do a fund raiser lunch for the entire year, in its 66th year. BBQ grilled Salmon, baked potato, coleslaw, drinks and dessert for $15.

Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Members in Chimacum, WA

Someone in Chimacum WA recently purchases a Born Free. If you are a member of this site please contact me. Thank you.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Ginny read through all the posts I've written and people respond to on the site. She found the person who owns the Born Free here in Chimacum. I'm now in my first park with two Born Frees. Progress
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Jackknife Couch Sleeping.

Ginny and I sleep on the Jack Knife couch and find it comfortable. How Do others find it?

Our's have been re-upholstered and seems fine though in reading through material that came with the rig it appears they added a foam mattress to it.

Thank you
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Yesterday I added tire valve extenders to the front tires and have two rear tires left to do. Rhey are virtually identical to the ones I used on our Bounder motorhome. They attach firmly to the rim.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XD ... UTF8&psc=1
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Hidden Gems.

Yesterday we went to the Whitney Nursery in Brinnon, WA located about 2 miles south of Port Townsend on Route 101.

Though this is a commercial nursery, it specializes in Rhododendrons and is in the midst of a seven acre Rhododendron garden. Some are massive, higher than a two story building. It is absolutely beautiful from late April into May and well worth a visit. The cost is $1.

I learned there are scented Rhododendrons as well. We are going for a second visit when our Son and his wife get here May 1st. One of the best parts of extended travel is personal growth, the increasing of knowledge and memorable moments.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Walmarts.

When we started RVing we bought a Bounder Motorhome. To our delight we received a call from another Bounder owner who offered to stop by and give the Bounder Newbies advice on owning a Bounder. This advice went a long way in helping us ease into the RV lifestyle.

I thought of him today recalling a part of his advice. He said, "Don't worry that you'll forget to pack something because you will forget something. Just go to Walmarts where ever you are and buy it".

Yesterday we had a call from an RV friend, together with a few other couples we are following a heart healthy diet. We are in our 5th month eating more vegetarian. The caller suggested going to Trader Joes and buying this Indian sauce (Tikka Masala), putting it over mixed vegetables (also bought a bag of frozen mixed vegetables) and served it over rice.

We're out on the Olympic Peninsula, no where near a Trader Joes but there is a Walmarts in nearby Sequim. Surprisingly they had it and we produced a simple and delicious dinner.

In our 5 months Ginny and I have lost maybe 10 pounds together since we started this diet change (However we've lost about 140 over the last 19 years, yes the RV lifestyle can be healthy.) The 3 other couples together have lost over 70 pounds and have well improved blood tests.

Please recognize my intent was to show how Walmarts is our backup place for stuff we need on the road. Honestly, other than this year Ginny and I have not gone on diets nor planned to lose weight. We just found the change of life of RVing somehow was physically and mentally healthier.

Today we drove out to Forks on the coast of the Olympic peninsula.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Newfoundland and Fiberglass RV.

I am a member of the Fiberglass RV forum, a site for mostly molded fiberglass RV trailers. On that site I publicized our NL travels and ran a for free caravan to NL a few years ago. For the caravan I supplied a write up of trip tips. If anyone is interested I can provide a copy if you PM me with your email address.

Over the years I've found so many people make it to the northern tip of Nova Scotia but hesitate to take the ferry to NL. This 30 page document could help you should you decide you'd like to go.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Port Townsend.

We're in Port Townsend, celebrating Mother's Day with our son and his wife. Port Townsend is a interesting community located 5 miles from the Evergeen Escapee park located in Chimacum, WA. This is the best sited Escapee Park, mostly due to it's Port Townsend proximity. A wonderful town with many good restaurants, today it was Hill Bottom Pie, Potato Ham soup, Caesar Salad, Spinach, potato pizza and marionberry pie. Each was (shared) and every bit delicious.

The RV park is beautifully landscaped, the best in the Escapee system. Driving about we've seen this bright, deep blue flower covered bushes, Caenothus or California Lilac. Absolutely gorgeous, loved by bees and humming birds, drought resistant and nitrogen fixing. In my normal 'Born Free buying spontaneity' I bought one for the rig to smuggle into Florida, just what every small Born Free needs.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

AMAZON FOR THE TRAVELER.

We used an Amazon Lockbox today for the first time. Used the amazon lockbox locator and had our order sent near our next destination. When it arrives they give you a code. You have 3 days to pick it up. If you don't pick it up it goes back with a full refund.

Today I bought a pair of flexible, breathable WelMee sneakers and some LED 921 equivalent light bulbs. We have these little wooden spots that used 921s. They were all burned out. Got 20 bulbs for $13, of course only needed 3.

Another road tool.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

6,000 miles and counting.

We've completed our 3rd month on this trip, 6 months to go. Considering it's age, our '93 Born Free has turned out to be relatively solid age considered.

Before we left Washington, the rig would not start. We had managed to discharge the truck battery charging our phones for a month from the cigarette lighter 12 volt socket. It appears the truck battery does not charge when we're plugged into AC. This is probably because I have not upgraded or repaired the house/truck battery electrical system. Not really a problem now.

Now in Oregon until mid July when we'll start for CA and our second Wedding. The weather has not been great, actually the last 12 months the USA has received more rain than any 12 month period in recorded weather history. Not surprisingly there is also a very low level of drought.

The weather has reduced our outside time and our shorts wearing. Rain was in the forecast for today, so we headed out early and hiked about two coastal state parks.

The weather yesterday encouraged us to drive to the Pendleton (woolen) store and buy a wool blanket. The wetness seems to amplify the cold temps. The blanket did well last night, a lot heavier than cotton.

The past two years we've spent a number of months traveling with our oldest son and his wife. They recently retired to full time RVing and last year we traveled to Newfoundland with them and this year to their son's wedding. One thing we notice is they are now making RVing and life suggestions to us. This is definitely a sign we are getting old. I suppose this is a sign to all of us at some time. We accept it comfortably....the wool blanket was their idea.

It's too bad Born Free went out of business, they made a good RV.

By the way, many of you know we re-striped our Born Free. I'ts been about 6 months and I've washed ti twice it twice since then and I've detected no problems.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
tomzleapin

Post by tomzleapin »

bornnorm wrote:It appears the truck battery does not charge when we're plugged into AC. This is probably because I have not upgraded or repaired the house/truck battery electrical system.
This is typical with most motorhomes. Some people install a device called a Trik-L-Start. Here's a link:

https://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

Tom
2005 24' RB
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
New Hope, MN
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

Thanks Tom,

I have a regulated trickle charger at home.... not doing a lot of good there.

One of the issues I did not address was a couple of hanging wires resulting from a pre-purchase blowout. As well I have not looked at the relay's used to manage 12 volts and AC.

I thought a possible solution was to add a wire from the converter to the voltage regulator of the 12 volt battery.

I wish I had wiring diagrams for the Born Free.

Of course this is a manageable situation with 'new' awareness.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer
bornnorm

Post by bornnorm »

The Mountains...

We have spent about two weeks in Netarts, Oregon, a small unincorporated town on the coast outside of Tillamook, OR. We are staying in Big Spruce, a small Passport park with good wi-fi and outstanding cable.

We have spent most of our time driving up into the mountains hunting down waterfalls and their wonderous trees. It is a beautiful place.
Norm Milliard
'93 Born Free 21' RB
'06 Scion xB
Escapee, Full timer

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”