Toad Brakes

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

gbuick

Toad Brakes

Post by gbuick »

Are there laws that require auxilarry brakes on a toad?
Mel Wilbur

Toad brakes

Post by Mel Wilbur »

All states and Canada have towing laws and most, if not all, have weight restrictions regarding auxilary braking. Check the chart at http://roadmaster-tow-bars.com/laws.html
Mel & Connie
Dallas Baillio

Toad Brakes

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I just purchased a Brake Buddy to use in my towed CR-V. The Brake Buddy web page indicates towing laws for each state. However, I read in a past issue of MOTORHOME MAGAZINE a column by one of their experts that stated that no state had a specific law that applied to towed automobiles. He indicated that the laws all apply to trailers not to automobiles. This confused me a bit, but a prudent person would have a braking system in the towed vehicle for 1.) His own safety, 2.) The safety of others on the road, 3.) To have a limited defense in a lawsuit, and 4.) As a safeguard to protect your investment in your Motorhome and your towed vehicle. So I bought one!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Mel Wilbur

Toad brakes

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Attached is information from one of the auxillary brake manufacturers.

Our research found that every state and province has towing laws. Most laws refer to "Trailer Towing". It has been our experience, in many instances, that this law has been interpreted to mean that 'anything being towed is a trailer!' Bill Farlow, in a 1997 article of Coast to Coast Magazine, is also quoted as saying, "By definition, anything you're towing is a trailer."
Mel & Connie
BornFree_n_Now

US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We installed one of these units and are extremely happy with it ~~

http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Mel Wilbur

Toad brakes

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Having recently installed the SMI silent partner braking system I find it to be an excellent unit. As with the US Gear system it utilizes a vacumn pump to assist the braking power of your towed vehicle. I had the US Gear system on two previous vehicles but chose the SMI unit as it had all the same features with the exception that it is wireless which means one less connection with the toad. There are quite a few braking systems on the market today and from all reports they all do the job. Like all the add-ons for our coaches it comes down to personal preferences.

www.smibrake.com
Mel & Connie
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

I just finished installing the Silent Partner made by SMI company from Indiana. I tested the system today and am pleased with the result. The company is very helpful with installation questions and even sent photographs for clarity.
The braking system seems to work very well. Hope this helps.
The Blue Ox Alexus tow bar with a baseplate made for my vehicle topped off my towed vehicle installation. Nice to see I came in under 4900 lbs full of fuel and gear. The coach is 13850 lbs loaded. I'm sure that braking system will get a work out.
Towing 2005 Honda Pilot.
Mel Wilbur

toad brakes

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Tim, in case you haven't tried it, a good way to test the breakaway feature with this system is to pull the pin from the front of the toad and while driving the car turn the switch on and check the distance it takes to stop. Then, if necessary, you can adjust the cable on the brake arm.
Mel & Connie
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

Mel,

Very interesting. I have not tried that yet. Will do that tomorrow. My cable on the vacumn cylinder was in fact a little loose. I tightened it, but not too much. I will report back. Thank you.
Tim and Mia

Post by Tim and Mia »

Mel,
Well I tried the technique of pulling the breakaway pin and then driving the car and then switching the toggle switch to the "on" position to check the brakes.
It works great. That is certainly a positive way to check the system. Thanks. That was not in the testing procedures.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”